Train Sim World 2: Raildriver Support

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Dec 17, 2020.

1. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

"No promises" should be their motto :cool:
    Okay then, when and if it gets support, I'll buy it again. So far it is refunded.

Very weird to hear that Rivet "apparently didn't know how to do it", when their previous route - isle of wight - had raildriver support out of the box. That's why I pre-ordered this one really, I was convinced that It'd have it, as their previous route does. Very strange. Ah well, at least steam approved the refund.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The lack of RD support for Arosalinie was a big disappointment, but it didn't stop me buying the route. However, I probably will not play it much until it's compatible. I'm anxious too that all the available locos are brought into the fold; once you play them on Raildriver, it's a let down to go back to the keyboard/mouse controls.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Yes, a huge disappointment. I've had to dig out an old xbox controller. Better than playing on keyboard, bur still no replacement for Raildriver.

• Like Like x 2
  4. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to the Clinchfield route, but I'm still going to wait until I read some reviews before I actually buy it.

I can say this however, if it does not have RailDriver support I will NOT be buying it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Oh couldn't control myself and ordered one ...

• Like Like x 7
  6. Crosstie

It's an idea I hadn't thought of. I'm sure I have an old one somewhere. But it's been years and the relearning curve might be too steep, especially for someone like me, lacking in dexterity.

7. johntay

johntay Member

You wont regret it once you have went RailDriver you wont want to go back lol. It the best purchase ive made next to my Alpha and Bravo flight hardware, Enjoy!!

• Like Like x 3
  8. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I heard that Matt said in the stream that implementing RailDriver is simple for any route. So going by that statement what is the holdup for the existing routes?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Crosstie

We have to keep talking it up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. smoothchat

smoothchat New Member

I think we're really talking locos, (which happen to come in certain routes). In some cases there are 2 variants of a loco, that are essentially identical, yet only one of them supports the RD. (Sand Patch YN3b=Yes, YN2=no.)

11. johntay

johntay Member

If we dont keep making enough noise about RailDriver it will stay in beta and the 3rd party devs will just keep forggeting to implement it in there new DLC's which in my opinion is sheer lazy concidering they have it in other DLC that they made.

We need our voice to be herd we have all paid allot of money into our hardware and into the sim itself not to be able to use it to its full potential when Train Simulator 2020 has it for all of its DLC.

Every other sim i know has full compatablity for all it hardware from farm simulators to flight simulators the all have controller support straight out the box and im not meaning an xbox controller that DTG thinks is enough.

Coul you imagine flight simulator saying sorry to all its customers that have paid thosands for there yokes and rudders to be told we only support xbox controllers go fly lol. There would be allot of unhappy simmers so we shouldnt be forgot cause our sim of choice is trains and there isnt enough of us with raildrivers for them to care.

Sorry for rant with my keyboard that is running out of battries but its just the way i feel.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Here i am, making my part of noise :) Raildriver support is definetly the future of train sim world, it has to be. I've never enjoyed a sim so hard, as i do - making my (forgoten) love for trains grow even bigger. So yes, can't wait for the full RD experience - i know there are few of us, that have RD, but we are hardcore fans and you can't ignore that - we are the heart of the community. DLC are not cheap, and I've spent hunderts of euros on train sim world 2, so please devs, don't make me regret and make TSW even better!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

In the Netherlands it is not available at the moment, so it essentially needs some actions from PI Engineering to support it better.

14. johntay

johntay Member

https://www.walthers.com/raildriver-desktop-cab-controller

Order from here im in the UK and got it shipped for think 30 euros which is the price it is reduced by. Ive spoken to them on the phone and they ship world wide for really low freight courier chargers.

Give them a try if you are desprate for one

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Tigert1966

I won’t be buying any DLC without Raildriver support from now on. It makes such a big difference I just don’t enjoy playing without it anymore.

If support doesn’t continue for any reason, I think I would go back to TS2021.

So I hope Rivet will add it for Arosa (along with all the other fixes). I also hope that when DTG do launch streams, they won’t dodge the question.

• Like Like x 6
  16. johntay

johntay Member

Im with you on that if you ask the question more than 3 times on the stream the mod shouts at you telling you to stop spamming the chat with the same question. If they only answer you it would be great. DTG are not too bad in answering you likes of matt and sam but jasper from rivet was so rude you know he seen the question but ignored it and left it too matt to answer even though he was busy driving the train and it wasnt his launch stream it was rivets.

17. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

I'm minded to agree. RD support was one of the main reasons I switched to TSW2 once it was available. I can't unbuy Arosa as I pre-ordered it, but will not be minded to pre-order anything in future that doesn't have confirmed RD support.

I've bought nearly all TSW2 DLC since switching. So hopefully I'm not one of the customers that DTG feels it can afford to ignore! DTG, please listen :love:

• Like Like x 5
  18. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

I started using RailDriver today; I like it especially on the Bakerloo. Hopefully more locos will get added, especially the 166 and 377.

• Like Like x 4
  19. dhekelian

I bought the RailDriver as DTG said they were going to support it and Matt has since said it is simple to integrate it with trains which begs the question why is there only a certain amount of trains that have it?

One of the other reasons I got it was that DTG said they were going to make the HST and the 166 compatible, still waiting for them and must confess I'm not playing TSW2 that much nowadays. Although I have have plenty to do in TSW2 and have routes I like I really wanted those two trains above all else. I hope they add it soon.

• Like Like x 3
  20. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Was watching a stream with Adam talking about adding RD support to the preserved collection. It is still an item, but he stated it was not as straight forward as everyone made it out to be. He didn’t elaborate, but stated it will be coming, but will take more time than originally envisioned.

• Like Like x 2
  21. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

So Clinchfield is now on pre-order. Do we know whether it will have RD support? Or are we still waiting to find out?

22. dhekelian

And Matt was saying in a stream it was a simple process. Sounds like they both need to have a conversation.

• Like Like x 1
  23. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

I pre-ordered it as well, but got refunded nonetheless. If you hadn't played the DLC for more than half an hour steam should approve a refund.

Yeah, that was very vague, that statement. It would have been more helpful if he said what exactly the issue was. If I put my optimist hat on, I'd be inclined to speculate that they figured that to push the RD updates for the routes they have to trigger a re-download of the whole thing so they are waiting for other updates to accumulate for each route. Which is fair enough, I suppose. But something tells me that if this was the case he would have just said that, he loves talking about how they can only push updates in packs because of how the updating system currently works. If I put my pessimist hat on, I'd be inclined to speculate that they just put it on the back burner because they (the preserved team) decided to allocate their resources to other things, as RD owners are not a critical mass of users. As for how long it takes to implement technically we can only guess, but we do know third party modders were able to hack in support for multiple locos for TSW1 in less time that has passed since that very stream in which he said it was "taking longer than expected". So I think that either it is already finished and waiting for the big route updates, or it's just not a priority for them.

• Like Like x 3
  24. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

RailDriver throttle - SEHS Javelin - throttle in cab jumps around when set by the RailDriver throttle handle

• Like Like x 1
  25. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Put this in technical reports with more detail of the problem

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. johntay

johntay Member

Pre orderd Clinchfield hope my mistake dosnt come back to bite me twice i dont think it will as its a DTG route and matt said on a stream all new content made for TSW2 would be RD compatiable think he must of been meaing stuff made by DTG. Will find out 8th April when Clinchfield is released.

Clinchfield being the supprise sam must of been talking about when he said there would be no live stream of roadmap from DTG for a week but there was a supprise to keep us happy.

• Like Like x 1
  27. johntay

johntay Member

Looks like no raildriver support for arosaline in the update very very poor show Rivet wont be buying anyting from them again till they remember the loyal people who buy from them ever single release.

Not happy at all rivet seem to forget about the other customers who like to play the sim with there hardware that was suppose to be support with every new content for TSW 2.

Dosnt matter how much we write about it dont think they bother to read these anyway we aint that important too them. They get our cash and laugh more fool me ive learned my leason not to buy from Rivet until they start listing to there customers.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  28. johntay

johntay Member

No answer to my question about raildriver for preserved and arosa asked every 5 mins on the live stream tonight totally got ignored so looks like DTG are not up for talking about it makes me feel like they have put rail driver support on the backburner and aint intrested in adding futher support.

Rather anoyed as we have all spend allot of money on DTG products and on our raildriver equipment not to be able to use it fully with a train simulator software

Dissappointed!!!

• Like Like x 1
  29. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

Only ask your question when they is almost done with an answer. Don't just write the question in the livestream

30. johntay

johntay Member

I did ask my question more than once when they finished answering questions even asked it at the start and end of the stream the answered questions before and right after mine not like them not to answer they usually do so must just not have an news to give us.

I'm not mad at that I'm mad at the fact we are not getting what we were promised and that was all new content for tsw2 would be raildriver compatible

31. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

They have been ignoring questions about raildriver in all streams for the past couple of months. I always watch the streams all the way through just to see if there are any RD updates, and they never talk about it, as if they are avoiding even mentioning it ever since beta got released. Yet EVERY stream they talk about the passenger information screens, every single one. Seriously, I'd love to have a conversation with one of the, apparently, hundreds of people who keep asking about those passenger information screens. I've often wondered: who cares so much about those screens? I honestly never even notice them and couldn't care less what they show. It's nice to have, sure, but from those streams I get the sense it is THE priority of the entire game. You know, not the physics that have always been mediocre in TSW, not proper controller support that we still don't really have, or proper passengers, but to have the name of your service up on the platform screens that you hardly even get to see in passing. Hard for me to get people sometimes :)

• Like Like x 5
  32. johntay

johntay Member

Could not of said that any better myself stright to the popint i 100% argree with you on all that. Its like a repeat episode of the same stream lol wonder how many times in this stream they can mention pis or adam talks about preserved for 50mins and then 10 mins of question with no mention of any of the more important issues but hevens forbid they miss talking about pis they make up for it with other nonsense last stream was all about liscensing.

I know know liscensing laws inside out thanks for the lesson lol. Thats all last stream made me think of being bacjk at uni lol when the lecturer was trying to waste time till end of class lol.

33. johntay

johntay Member

On the plus side clinchfield is going to work with RailDriver straight out the box so just shows its third party devs that are lazy and dont want to add the support or just dont know how too not pointing at fingers to which devs.

34. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Or they don't know how...

35. Coastway trainspotter

Johntay did point out that third parties might not know how to add raildriver support . I’m guessing you didn’t read the whole message

• Like Like x 1
  36. dhekelian

Having bought a RD myself I am too getting annoyed at the lack of info on the RD being fully implemented especially after Matt said it was a 'simple' process.

On the licensing issue I do not accept what they are saying, I think they are twisting it imo. I find it strange how against they are at modding TSW2 and yet have no problem in showing user content for TS1.

But please DTG show some love for the RailDriver.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Tigert1966

In case anyone didn't see in Rivet's own forum. There is a patch coming soon for Arosa that adds rail driver support along with a load of other fixes.

• Like Like x 1
  38. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Downloaded the new update that dropped yesterday with Clinchfield (didn't get Clinchfield myself, I'm not really into freight to be honest, but you get an update nonetheless). Immediately ran over to the Advanced Controls page to see if there are any updates. Nothing, again. Same old trains with RD support, same bugs in most of them.

I mean, at least give us a rough timetable. "RD Support for train x is planned to be included with update y". It'd really be easier to wait if we had a general estimate, instead of this cryptic "taking longer than anticipated" casually dropped in the middle of a random stream months ago. I mean, any info for raildriver owners, would that really be that hard DTG? :mad:

• Like Like x 3
  39. dhekelian

To be honest DTG is stopping me from enjoying TSW2 now. I have always like the HST and the 166 is fun. The GWE route was said that RD support will come but that seems like months ago. I bought the RD on the basis of this but it seems DTG have gone very quiet on this. Disappointed in DTG more than anything.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Crosstie

Well, support for RD is missing for Preserved Collection locos, but it's in production on the Roadmap, so the GWE locos wil come on line at some point. It's been mentioned quite recently on the stream.

41. dhekelian

That's my point. It was mentioned ages ago and still gets mentioned but it is still as far off today as it has been for ages.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  43. Crosstie

Is anyone else having problems with RD control of the Class 395 on SEHS. The 375 and 465 seem OK, but the Javelin doesn't work for me for some reason.
    And while I'm here, was there any mention of RD support for PC locos on any recent streams? I know it's on the Roadmap, but seems to be off the radar. I see a German and a Swiss loco have been added, but we need the older ones to come on line.

44. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I have found an interesting problem with RD, not connected to what it will or will not operate in TSW2. It is preventing my system from going into sleep mode. I know this because when I unplugged it from the computer the system went into sleep without issue. Guess I will have to keep the RD unplugged when not in use.

45. Crosstie

Update: the next time I ran the Javelin, it was just fine. Something I did or didn't do, I guess.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Got RD and experience has been a blast! Goodbye keyboard :D Some locos are better supported than others, but overall i am very happy for beta! Will make a detailed test and report my findings.

One suggestion - Class 101 DMU is wonderful with RD, but I think one feature would be very nice. Since the automatic brake lever is not in use here in this train (only train brake), it would be a bomb, if you could make it to move gears with this lever from 1 from the top all the way to neutral below. It would feel like a real lever that is present in the cab. The range selector is nice, bit this would be a massive step up! Just for consideration :)

Developers, if you read this - thank you for your effort so far! Keep going strong :)

• Like Like x 1
  47. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Did anyone get the new BR101? Does it have support? I'm thinking of getting it but need confirmation first, and Dovetail are silent about RailDriver as usual. Watched the entire 101 stream, raildriver wasn't mentioned once.

48. Tigert1966

Yes the BR 101 does have Raildriver support.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Coastway trainspotter

All new DTG stuff will have raildriver at launch

• Like Like x 2
  50. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Warning: venting ahead.

Well, I just finished driving my first couple of runs with the BR101. The loco itself is great, really. One of the best they ever did, even disregarding the unjustified omission of the cab car. Nice sounds, the loco feels weighty and is fun to run.
    But the raildriver support... I'm sorry, but in no way is this acceptable. The sifa button doesn't work (again). There is NO mapping at all for the AFB lever (not even in the mess of blue buttons, even though there are unused buttons down there. But forget those, how hard is it to map it to the useless range rocker, which is right there at your fingertips?!). So not only do I have to find the q key on my keyboard every time SIFA comes on - and the keyboard is off to the side when the RD is used, I also have to fiddle around with the mouse every time I want to change the AFB speed. I got PZB tripped once, even though I was paying attention, just because of the stupid mapping that puts the time-critical PZB buttons in the middle of the bottom blue buttons row so that they cannot be found by feel - IN REVERSE to the order in which they are on the panel so of course in my panic at an unexpected 1000hz I bashed the wrong one.
    Come on, seriously! How many months has it been since RD support was first implemented? I know they still call it beta, but are they trying to make it broken on purpose to make sure everyone knows it's not final? Forgive me for bringing up another product, I know it's a capital offence in these forums, but in Diesel Railcar Simulator, one day there wasn't controller support, and then the next there was. You go into the settings and assign whatever lever or button you want to whatever function you see fit. And it f-n' works. And that game has a development team consisting of like three guys. Can DTG with their 90-strong team not get one loco out with properly working and intelligently mapped raildriver support? I do not get what is going on. This sucks.
    And now - cue the defenders that are going to claim that we should be grateful to have any sort of lame half-broken support at all, in 3, 2, 1...

• Like Like x 6