Xbox Sound Compression Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by lukereynolds1, Apr 22, 2021.

1. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

It was mentioned during the road map stream, a couple of weeks ago, that a sound compression issue exists on xbox, resulting in clicking noises and sound distortion spontaneously happening in the game.
    I have experienced this repeatedly in all preserved DLC and it's immersion-breaking for me.
    Is anybody else experiencing this? It's now been 8 months since the release of TSW2, and I assumed that this was part of the generic "sound improvements" that appeared on the old road map version. It now appears that what I am experiencing may have been the compression issue that has only recently been acknowledged. However, now that it has been acknowledged as being an Xbox issue, I wonder if a more consolidated approach to this fix can be done rather than a route-by-route basis?
    It's very frustrating to experience this repeatedly... I cannot play any preserved route without this occurring frequently, and there doesn't appear to be much light at the end of the tunnel in regards to this.

• Like Like x 7
  2. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

I have reported this sound Looping issue to DTG supplying around 5 video captures as evidence from about 4 or 5 random DLC's

They have responded with-

"The issue/s below have been documented and flagged for further investigation by the development team. Issues will be prioritised upon receipt based on how severely they affect gameplay."

The issues below being the clips I have supplied.

From my limited knowledge it would appear to be a core issue as it seems to effect all DLC.

I have found that sometimes you can reset the sound by changing to external camera rear. This doesn't always work.

I agree it is a frustrating "bug" and does massively effect game play.

I have found the Arosa Line to be one of the worst so far.

Anyway, fingers crossed it's on their todo list.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. lukereynolds1

Thanks for replying. I am glad others have experienced this problem. I would like DTG to acknowledge it as needing a coordinated response. 8 months for such a big issue that barely gets a mention. Hopefully something will be done soon.

• Like Like x 2
  4. brfan#9132

brfan#9132 Active Member

When I drive Arosa Line it happens

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Yep same here, really bad on the 101, lots of popping and crackling.

• Like Like x 3
  6. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

Yes some routes are more obvious than others, however I found it appears on most the DLC I own.

Perhaps if other players were to log the issue with DTG by raising a ticket it may get more attention or pushed up the queue if it works this way.

I have sent video captures from Peninsular Corridor F40PH-2/SEHS 465/GWE 166 & 43/Arosa Line.

During Matt's stream the other day on Braking, he was using an Xbox and it was clearly evident whilst he was driving the F40PH-2 on Peninsular Corridor.

Maybe if others can share more info and video captures with DTG it may well help.

• Like Like x 2
  7. t.goaslind

t.goaslind Member

Yeah, I hear you guys. I wanted to mention that a lot of locos on the German routes start clicking past a certain speed, and the loco on the Arosa line sounds more like a helicopter than a train.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lukereynolds1

Definitely. I've experienced the same on the German routes. I think it's time for something to be done. It's not just a little bug - it's quite significant and annoying to listen to... Especially when, on occasions, there is nothing you can do to stop the sound.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thorman

Thorman Active Member

Same problem here on Xbox one X, I have sound loops nearly everytime I play.
    DTG, could this problem be added to the roadmap? it is really annoying!

• Like Like x 2
  10. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

I have said this way too many times but:
    Bad looped sounds on console existed since the launch of TSW2 and its in everything! even the background ambience! On PC, its very nice looped but it all suck on console.

• Like Like x 3
  11. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

I uploaded my Xbox video captures to my Google Drive and included the link to the folder with the fault report when I raised a ticket.

I wonder if it's worth sharing this link so other users can upload their captures to the same folder?

Just a suggestion

• Like Like x 3
  12. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

Sure, I have already made a small compilation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

OK, if you click the link here and upload any Video captures from your Xbox showing sound clicking/looping, if/when we have more examples then I will update my ticket with DTG. The more captures from different DLC's the better.

May I suggest limiting the clips to 15 sec's. That's more than long enough, and painful to one's ears.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

I don't have rights to upload something.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2021
  15. lukereynolds1

Perfect. I think the more of us that submit a ticket, the more likely something will be done. Even if it was added to the roadmap as an item, it would ease the frustration. I think at the moment, it's disheartening to have to patiently wait for each dlc to be worked on by the preservation crew, which at the current rate is going to take more than a year. Even after a route is worked on, there is still no guarantee that this problem will be resolved. Surely Microsoft would not be pleased to know that a major sound bug exists only of their consoles. This is more pertinent with the release of the new consoles... I am even tempted to eventually purchase the ps5 instead of the new Xbox, only so I can play the game without this issue. This surely cannot be right for this to inform my purchasing decisions.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

Try again, I've just learnt about permissions lol

17. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

I uploaded my compilation! :D

18. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

Yes I agree.
    As this sound issue is even on new DLC it must be a core issue.

Such a shame when all the hard work goes into creating a new route for it to ruined by sound issues. Arosa Line comes to mind. I don't play that route at the moment as it's so bad.

It would be nice to just get it on the road map as you said.

• Like Like x 1
  19. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

It is a core issue, if you even get bad looped sounds in the background ambience of the game menu...

20. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

Nice selection of horns :)

• Like Like x 1
  21. lukereynolds1

I logged a ticket and got the response that there are no updates on this and to monitor official community channels and the roadmap for any future updates.

I've asked about the problem lots of times during various roadmap streams, with no response. No official response on the forums either.

I feel this problem is being ignored. Not sure why. It's a major problem and should be acknowledged and dealt with.

• Like Like x 5
  22. brfan#9132

brfan#9132 Active Member

When I last played the DB BR 406 the looping at 250kmh is terrible I just want it fixed

• Like Like x 2
  23. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

Well at least you've logged the fault and raised a ticket.

The more people that raise a ticket the more chance we will have at it being looked at.

• Like Like x 1
  24. NYIslanders0902

NYIslanders0902 Active Member

Yeah, it feels like if I drive on any route, I heard a lot of cracking and popping noises and the sounds looping, especially when I drive the Class 101 on the Northern Transpenine, the looping is so bad and I hear cracking and popping noises. I really hope this gets fixed.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  25. lukereynolds1

I really hope so. I wish the basics would be sorted first as a priority. I'm not talking about getting new recordings or anything... I just can't bare to play the game with the repeating, distorted sounds. Since it was mentioned that the issue is on Xbox consoles, it makes the problem even more irritating that it has not been resolved or no acknowledgement that it's being worked on. Fingers crossed we will get resolve soon .

• Like Like x 1
  26. NYIslanders0902

NYIslanders0902 Active Member

Yep, fingers crossed

• Like Like x 1
  27. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

This whole issue is once again a perfect example for what happens if the QA process is neglecting a platform. It reminds me of the 155 sound in tunnels on PS4, Miles Platting or the SKA crashes which even made it to next gen.
    All this is noticable within minutes of testing- and in this special occasion sometimes even in seconds. To rely on user workarounds is not professional either. Once again you could ask yourself if testing on xbox is happening at all...

(Tbh I do believe it is but if I was the responsible QA guy for this I would be very frustrated that my feedback does not get considered at all)

And it's once again not helping that apart from Matt no one of the Dev team seems to play this game on xbox, otherwise this would have been raised automatically... and I definetely wouldn't blame Matt for that, he can't do everything alone..

Okay, enough rant for this one, I try to add something more constructive as well (although we were told that it would be constructive if we described our feelings ;) ).
    I fear this is more a individual sound configuration than a core issue because there are some locos where this bug doesn't occur at all or at least not very often. Mainly those equipped with sounds of Maik Goltz or some of the TSW2 stuff. Rivets is unfortunately clearly the worst, both the 204 and Arosa are hardly to endure.
    So I fear that to solve this one it is necessary to have a look at every single bugged sound configuration, find the error and correct it. I don't have any confidence at all that this is a capable task.

Until then I fear we still have to try the workarounds or instead turn our volumes down, listen to some music (TSW2 helped me find some cool bands so I feel grateful for that), or put our vacuum cleaners on for a more decent alternative sound experience (not recommended if you are married)...

• Like Like x 2
  28. lukereynolds1

I agree. I don't have any issue with the Talent 2 or ICE M3 on SKA, or Bakerloo, so it is likely to be as you described. As such, it's likely to be a big task and probably why there is no proper acknowledgement of it or why there is no response to any of the questions I've asked on the road map stream or on here. Your alternatives are far better! :)

29. Ensor42

Ensor42 Well-Known Member

A few roadmap streams back, Adam made reference to how one of his team believed that they had found a solution to this issue while working on the M7 audio for the then unreleased Long Island update. I asked in the chat for clarification as to whether this was across the whole game on Xbox, or just the M7, and they responded that at that time, it was just the M7.

Well, we now have the LIRR udpated, and unfortunately I can confirm that the M7 does STILL have the problem. Sigh.

• Like Like x 1
  30. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

Yes I drove the M7 last night and noticed the sound problems still exist in LIRR

I'll add the video capture to my list.

• Like Like x 3
  31. brfan#9132

brfan#9132 Active Member

On the HST on GWR it is really really really bad I am just sick of the sound looping

• Like Like x 2
  32. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Been playing TSW2 on a Series X recently and noticed the audio hyper-compression straight away (fine on PC and PS5). Like many I am hoping on this being fixed with UE 4.26, otherwise how can the Xbox Series consoles be considered a viable platform for the game with this kind of sound quality. It should have been sorted a long time ago for Xbox One to be honest.

• Like Like x 2