Crr Limited Power Scenario

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dreampage, Apr 21, 2021.

1. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

After loading two sets of cars with coal, our task is to reconnect the caboose to the end of the consist. I did that, however, right after decoupling the whole set of hoppers started to roll down the hill. Is this a bug? Shouldn't the decoupled cars automatically brake themselves? They certainly did that up until that point.

Now, I wanted to rush after the consist, managed to couple my F7 and emergency stop the whole thing. However, I never managed to get up the hill again. I could of course recover the loco from the emergency stop (reverser to neutral then back) but it was impossible to start back up. I tried hill starts, adding power but as soon as I released the brakes the train just went down again. In the end it derailed and I wasted 2+ hours.

Why didn't the consist stay in place? Why did it start rolling down the hill after decoupling?

Why couldn't I start the train going up again? It is physically impossible to do with loaded cars on a 3.4% slope?

Is either of these events a bug?

2. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

I'm constantly having problems with this as well. I've been trying to do the first service and same thing, you just don't have enough power, compared to the new adhesion physics. It's so frustrating

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

No, they didn't "roll down the hill" -the AI loco hooked up and took them away, just like it's supposed to.

Uncoupled wagons won't roll anywhere by themselves: uncoupling vents the brake pipe to atmosphere, which means all the brakes slam on the moment the anglecock is unfastened. This is deliberate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

The 3016 Southbound service in journey mode seems completely broken. Going 0.6 MPH for an hour is not right

5. solicitr

Yes, it's broken (in Journey mode). In Timetable, you can make the weather nice and then it works fine. The problem is that you can't get traction in the snow.

Current workaround: back up, all the way to the yard lights at the edge of the map. There the grade is flatter and you can get a running start, maybe 8-10 mph by the time you reach the original start point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dreampage

No, I don't refer to the set of cars that the AI loco pulled away. I refer to the two sets of cars you have to manually load and couple up on one of the tracks. Then, after coupling the caboose, the whole row of cars just rolled down the hill by itself. And I don't know why because as far as I know it shouldn't have.

7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

When you stopped did you use the independent brake or the automatic brake, and if you used the automatic brake, what did you have it set to before you decoupled?

8. dreampage

Good question, I can't tell you as I use both to stabilize the locomotive as I maneuver on the slope back and forth. How should I leave the automatic brake at the moment of decoupling? Is the state of the automatic brake "inherited" by the cars themselves?

9. solicitr

It shouldn't happen. When cars are decoupled from the locomotive, their brake pipe hoses are disconnected and immediately vent to atmosphere- which means their brakes should slam closed. That's the whole reason the Westinghouse system is designed the way it is.

If it isn't a bug, all I can think of is that you have somehow run your hoppers out of air with too many train-brake applications and releases.

10. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Ya that's what I did, rolled back to the light and then set off from there.