PC Clinchfield Session Mcclure Shifter Part 1 -- Help, Please

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Apr 28, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

As the McClure Shifter Part 1 (F7 version) session begins, the F7 you're driving hasn't been set up yet and is sitting on a 1.2% downgrade. Of course, it's speed is increasing rapidly and the brakes do not work yet. What's an engineer to do???

Furthermore, does it make sense that any engine would be left sitting on a 1.2% grade without any brakes being set?

I'd appreciate constructive advice, especially from someone who has gotten this engine stopped so that it can be set up properly.

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

In the F7, you should have loco brake control at all times, so just slam on the ] key
    The SD40 is more problematical, because at start you have no functioning brake controls. Until it's fixed:
    • Immediately turn on the cab light (with the L key; you don't have time to grope for the switch)
    • Set the MU2 valve (you can't find it in the dark, hence the cab light)
    • Pull the loco brake to full application
    That should stop the train, especially if you do so it before it's gained much speed. Then you can set up normally.

3. davebadger#4587

davebadger#4587 Member

Good evening. I reported this for the xbox. Have received a reply from dtg which should help (have cut and pasted it below). I haven't had a chance to try it yet, hope it helps.

1. Immediately move the Independent Brake to Full Service
    2. Set the MU2A Valve to Lead or Dead (This will hold the train)
    3. Move the Automatic brake to the Emergency position.
    4. Set the Cut-Off Valve to Freight
    5. Move the Automatic Brake to Release
    6. Set the following controls to the On position:
      • Engine Run
      • Generator Field
      • Control & Fuel Pump
    7. Insert the Reverser
    8. Move the Reverser to Forward
    9. Move the Selector Level to 1
    10. Apply 1 notch of throttle
    11. Move the Independent Brake to the Bail Off position.

4. solicitr

I disagree. This will force a PCS reset the moment you cut the valve in.

In this service, the loco brake will hold you, provided you don't dilly-dally and allow the train really to get moving. (And, again, you can't see either valve to operate it without the light on).

5. davebadger#4587

davebadger#4587 Member

Having just tried it, I agree. Doing it that way does trip the PCS. Getting the loco Brake on and the mu2 valve to Lead or Dead works.

6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

What DTG suggested to Dave Badger is pretty much what I did on my third attempt to start this session and, as Dave notes, it did "trip the PCS" -- whatever that is. On my fourth attempt, I finally got it right -- as Dave notes in his second message. Phew!

These Clinchfield activities are certainly the most challenging and therefore the most rewarding once solved that DTG has ever provided. And what's more, there are more of them than I've ever seen included in a TSW2 DLC. Thanks, developers!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

I second this. To be honest, there are much worse gradients on this route. This one isn't too bad. If you act fairly quickly before your train has a chance to roll, you'll be okay. In SD40 it takes like 3 seconds to get the brakes on, in F7 its even quicker.

8. solicitr

A couple of other reasons not to use the train brake here:

• You want the train stretched out before starting anyway: 50-some cars means 50-odd couplers and that's a lot of slack to take up.
    • It takes a long time for the train brakes to fully release all the way to the back, which means more waiting around before you can get moving. In fact, what will happen if you set the train brake and leave the loco brake off, or release them at the same time, is that the train will bunch up against the still-braked rear cars.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  9. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Well, you are not really supposed to use Train Brake on hilled starts period. Say your train brake is applied, you need to apply max independent brake, release train brake, and your train should still remain in place (although it will stretch out). At which point, you apply throttle to max 800amps, and release the independent. Tried and true method that I always use and it has not failed me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. solicitr

11. stevegad

stevegad Member

Don't do that. Full position will be more than enough. Otherwise you start the PCS dance. As others have said, make your first job putting on the cab lights. It IS a bit silly have a loco with no brakes, left on a 1.2% (why is it even still there when you get in the cab?) but it keeps us on our toes, so I don't mind one bit. We're all in this for the challenge. Right?

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Has this changed? You're starting double light engines only, so the Indy will hold you without problems. Don't see a challenge with this scenario.

And how do you play this service with the F7? For me it only appears when selecting the SD40.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2023
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This is still an issue. The scenario starts you in the dark in the cab of the SD40 with nothing set so you immediately start rolling backwards. You have to set the two brake valves before you can apply the loco brake at which point you are already rolling backwards.

The scenario needs updating so the cab is already set up and the relevant switches engaged and brakes applied.

• Like Like x 1