Algoma Central Railway (a.k.a. The Agawa Canyon Tour Train)

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Cyclone, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Touting itself as "one of the most popular train tours in North America", the Agawa Canyon Tour Train operates north of Sault St. Marie, Ontario to Hearst, trekking across the Canadian Shield. This is a 114 mile journey where few roads exist, leaving lots of scenery to be taken in instead. The train stops for an hour and a half allowing people to explore the beauty of Canyon Park and then returns. They also operate a very busy fall colours tour.

Some facts:
    - The Algoma Central was the first Canadian railway to operate fully with diesel fuel, in 1952
    - In the 1960s, the railway began to promote the natural beauty of the District of Algoma to tourists
    - In 1998, Algoma Steel closed its iron ore mine in Wawa and the branch line between Michipicoten Harbour and Hawk Junction (opened in 1909) was abandoned
    - Wisconsin Central Ltd. was acquired by Canadian National on October 9, 2001, whereupon the Algoma Central became part of CN's Eastern Division
    - In January 2014, CN announced it was cutting the service from Sault Ste. Marie to Hearst, blaming government cutting a subsidy that was needed to keep operating
    - BDO Canada LLP, an accounting firm, assessed at the time that passenger rail service in the Algoma district generates between $38 million and $48 million in annual economic activity; in 2015, this guaranteed CN funding until 2018, then CN changed its mind in July
    - In 2020, Canadian National announced its intent to sell off non-core lines in the Upper Midwest, all previously part of the Wisconsin Central system
    - In March 2021, the line was purchased by Watco, who committed to the Agawa Canyon Tour Train continuing

Naturally, this train should be a feature of such a DLC, if considered. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I'd certainly buy it if it came to TS. It's a beautiful route if that photograph is anything to go by. Speaking of, here's said photograph for those that might find it not loading:
    breathless_2280x1232-2.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

On the Web site you can see pictures others have submitted on their map. Without hacking into the source code to find those images, there's no good way to copy the images themselves, so I am limited to what is in their gallery. That was a nice one.

4. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

All I did to get it to show up on my post was open it in another tab, save it to my laptop, then put it in my post as a file. And yes, it is indeed a spectacular photograph. Certainly wallpaper material for a computer.