What Features Will Ue4.26 Bring?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Apr 27, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I was just reading on the assetto corsa forum that the engine update brings a new water feature and I believe dlss.

It’s made me wonder whether dlss will be implemented and what benefits it will bring when dtg shift over?

What else do you think dtg will bring over into new routes from it?

• Like Like x 5
  2. chieflongshin

• Like Like x 2
  3. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

Sam once said that the 4.23 can do everything that is important, steam locomotives can also use the 4.23. Maybe the 4.26 looks better or something

• Like Like x 2
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

An improvement in the quality of water features would be a big deal for me personally, I think the current (pardon) water quality in TSW2 is very poor, except, oddly, SEHS. But then Clinchfield took a step backwards.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

6. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Hopefully it paves the way towards better weather effects and the implementation of dynamic weather in service mode.

7. chieflongshin

Makes you wonder whether different teams build different routes or if it’s a case of too many trees on clinchfield means bad water. Got to help the consoles out ;)

8. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Just took a look at what the upgrade from 4.23 to 4.26 brings. Some of the upgrades are easier to see for us (the players) than others.
    Example:
    1. Difficult to notice upgrade: UE4.26 brings new tools that make editing landscape easier, so DTG can probably do more work on it in the same time. In this case, DTG can add more detail to a new route in the same amount of time, so the players will notice a general improvement in graphical quality but it is difficult to tell exactly what was added that previously could not have been possible because of time restraints.
    2. Easy to notice upgrade: UE4.26 has new tools that make working with the sun, clouds, etc ... easier and better looking. If DTG uses this feature, players will immediately notice that the sky and clouds look better.

So here is the list of improvements that could be used based on the UE 4.23 -> 4.26 changelist (please note that DTG might not be able to use all of it):
    • Screen Space Global Illumination (support for dynamic global illumination, scalable for console and desktop).
    • New Physically-Based Atmospheric Sky Model. (better skies and clouds).
    • Sky and Volumetrics - Sky and atmosphere rendering. (unify existing sky and atmosphere rendering techniques, which will be scalable from mobile to the high end.)
    • New Audio Mixer. (better sound).
    • Eye-Adaptation (Auto exposure) improvements.
    • Translucency Improvements (This will improve the quality and performance of glass shaders, such as tinted windows).
    • Memory Insights (This new feature exposes the internals of the engine to devs so they can better understand how their work affects performance and engine behavior.)
    • Support for Next Gen Consoles.
    • Improvements for NPC animations (TSW -> people on the trains and stations).

There are also some experimental tools that I'm not sure if they are ready or not for production environments. Most of them just make dev work easier:
    • Water modeling tools.
    • Baking tools (Common maps can now be baked directly in the editor).
    • Sculpting tool enhancements (makes it easier to edit terrain).
    • Extended mesh creation and editing tools.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I hope the next major update brings a dedicated next generation console version. Or if not, added options so that draw distance etc can be tweaked by individual players to suit their preferences. I’d be willing to sacrifice some frames per second on PS5 for improved textures/draw distance/lighting for example.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I do not want to spoil the party, but be aware that all these wonderful features probably will not do anything for existing routes unless at least some effort by Adam's team.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Very true.

Also Adam's team and the formation of it is one of the best moves DTG has done in my opinion its a sign that this game is iterative they accept they did not have all core tech locked down from day one so the target for quality & systems is always moving and acknowledging that by the way of standing up a dedicated team to uplift older content is a move I respect greatly and one not many development teams would take on.

That said the one thing I do hope they make use of with the new engine update is the sky... oh i cant stand the current dull flat depressing skybox the game currently has. :P

• Like Like x 1
  12. robski

robski Member

Also I think the new version of UE brings plugins for implementation of DLSS.
    In my opinion that would be a great for optimization, sadly for now that's for Nvidia graphics cards only.
    https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/nvidia-dlss
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  13. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

i wondering about ray tracing support since ur4.2.6 can support this?

14. OsamaBinLiftin

OsamaBinLiftin Active Member

Those won't be commercially available below $2000 for another few years I bet, until crypto has become a fad of the past

15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Next gen might get it eventually. Perhaps in newer routes first. It would be cool if they did anyway. Any improvements to lighting would be hugely welcome.

16. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I’m expecting very little to change, seeing as DTG love parity and HAVE to make sure everything runs smoothly on older, base consoles.

This severely limits potential. Even the current UE4 version, we are barely scratching the surface with what is possible.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Don’t forget, we are going to have separate old and new gen versions of the game, so new gen can catch up a bit.

18. ffabio89

ffabio89 Active Member

The new version will came for PC? Or we continue to use the same older setup?

19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It will apply to all formats.

20. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

Interesting the comment about the water. I first noticed is was poor (at best) on Isle of Wight. See @ approx 9m 30s. Those repeating textures...
    But I noticed in a recent video, it looked ok (although just a small bit of water) on (I think) West Somerset - see @ 9m 18s approx

21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The sea on IoW is god awful. It makes my eyes go funny.

22. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Where did you read that ? The version will be still the same... one game, just with consoles detection like it is now too... just right now it cant detect PS5 or new xbox as 4.23 doesnt support new consoles.

23. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s in the article that was leaked. There will be a specific PS5/Xbox Series S/X version of TSW 2 and it will be better optimised for those consoles.

24. chieflongshin

Do rivet games have a route that goes over 30mph? Zzzzz slow

25. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Well they will whenever the Cornwall route releases, but even then it won't exactly be 'high speed' - IIRC max speed is around 70.

26. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

More incompatibility issues with older DLC'S that most probably won't get rectified.

• Like Like x 1
  27. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

They will need water for the St Ives branch line...there is lots and lots of it!

• Like Like x 1