Mastery - What’s Going On?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jan 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I’ve never really understood mastery as a whole for a train simulator, but despite this, the way it has been represented has been nothing short of a shambles and embarrassment.

It seems to work whenever it feels like it, and it seems to me that there is no clear development going on for it. To me it seems like an abandoned project, stopped halfway through but still made it out offering very little in the way of itself. Is it something someone works on in their spare time and/or when they feel like doing it, because it certainly feels like it.

In more detail, the overlays seem very hit and miss. Why is it that only certain routes have an overlay, when others don’t? Also, why are some overlays locked - they have been developed, but aren’t accessible in the game. The Brighton pride festival in ECW being one example of this.

Secondly, the dioramas are even more of a mess. Why have some gone missing, and been replaced with a blank and/or white placeholder? This highlights another issue with the user interface (UI) with it being very clunky, with functions missing and/or not working.

If I remember correctly, mastery launched in October 2019 for TSW 1. So why is it still not working properly to this day?

• Like Like x 17
  2. Ewan Whiteside

Ewan Whiteside New Member

I'm not entirely sure how I get it to work. The half-baked pop up window with 'Mastery' on still states I've made no progress towards any of the goals (Apparently I've completed 0 Out of 3 Scenarios For Bakerloo Line, Despite me actually having all 5 Completed?)

What are overlays? How does this thing work?

• Like Like x 1
  3. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I haven't had a situation yet where Mastery fails to track progress. I can't really say that I hate this feature, but I do agree it could use some continued work, perhaps something more difficult than just "Drive X amount of distance"
    Mastery should live up to its name, offering a lot more challenges each with varying levels of difficulty, perhaps with more rewards attached to the hardest ones? Something like "Stop within X distance of the stop marker at a station, while being no more than 1 minute late."
    Theres plenty of ways that they can expand on this.

Overlays are like a little reward for completing the challenges. When you complete the challenges, go into the route's menu and press the button to bring up the overlay menu, activating it through there. I haven't completed the other two, but I know that for the SKA route, the overlay is a little Christmas market scene (located near Horrem station).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  4. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

you don't have to do anything. you can get the overlays here http://www.trainsim.cz/

5. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Some users are going to enjoy mastery and others are not. But it is still something we are continually working on to improve, and the feedback you are sharing will help us to make is more user friendly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

How can this "Mystery mode" be switched off? And how to switch off career mode which is totally useless for me and many other TSW users? How many programmers workhours went to create this feature and which more useful features or updates were not developed because of that?

• Like Like x 2
  7. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Been discussed several threads on the division of labor - Mastery didn't take environmental artist , Rail vehicle developers, track layers or signal engineers away from their duties - Mastery (not Mystery) mode is not a thing I worry about either but it is easy enough to hit skip and not get wrapped around the axle over it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. londonmidland

Just to let you know, the overlays for the other routes are the same, identical Christmas Market tile. So once you’ve unlocked it on one route, that’s pretty much all you’re getting.

• Like Like x 3
  9. londonmidland

Absolutely, and I don’t disagree with that. However mastery as a whole really needs to be improved as it seems nothing more than a 5 minute side project. The whole thing is pretty poorly implemented, as explained above.

• Like Like x 6
  10. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

Excuse me, sir - where did I say that "Mastery takes environmental artists, Rail vehicle developers, track layers or signal engineers away from their duties"? I said programmers are those who's workhours will be wasted. And why to hit "Skip" button hundreds or thousands times when there is a "Settings" section for that where You can do it only once.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

I usually don't care much about masteries, points or trophies, but if you want something like masteries in the game, at least make it worthwhile to do them. As it stands now, it's barely a shell of what can be...maybe to come. If they have to have them in game, then perhaps make them "harder", but also have them give a greater reward. Some extra scenarios for the route in question, maybe an extra freight wagon for SPG, something, anything to make it worthwhile. I'd put in some "work" to get that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

The point, if I must clarify, is the group that developed Mastery are those who are assigned to DTG LIVE, and not those who develop the routes, vehicles and the such. ThIS has been expressed several times by Sam and others that work at DTG. And hey, if hitting skip is such a burden, by all means submit a request via the support process, start a petition, I am sure either of those will take a lot less time then hitting skip.

I understand it might be an inconvenience, but I feel there are much larger fish to fry than that little nit.

best

• Like Like x 4
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I quite agree, I have no interest in Mastery either, so just ignore it and skip it, it certainly isn't a big deal.

I do get irritated a little having being asked to sign into DTG live each time, so I now skip that, but that is something which is presumably not working as intended.

Those moaning about having to skip Mastery should try loading TS1 up. You can load up the TSW and be wandering around on a route or sat in the drivers seat of a train before TS1 has even got halfway through loading the sim!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

True, but mastery just made worse a thing that TSW did better.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Have to agree. I haven't played TS for quite a while but I remember the agonizingly slow loading times for startup and then the scenario. TSW2 is very fast in comparison. As for Mastery, I couldn't care less either, but for those who like it, they are entitled to have it work properly. Don't like being asked constantly but skipping it takes a nanosecond.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ewan Whiteside

I'm still in need of some help... My TSW2 Progress shows i have completed all the requirements to complete the mastery Tier 1 for LU. All 5 Scenarios Done and 94 Miles.
    2021-01-08 00_57_39-Train Sim World 2®.png
    2021-01-08 00_58_09-Train Sim World 2®.png

But as shown, Mastery hasn't recognized I've made this progress? Am I missing something simple to activate the progress on mastery?

2021-01-08 00_58_49-Train Sim World 2®.png

I would love to enjoy Mastery, but either it's broken or so poorly implemented that it's not obvious how it works... Any Ideas?

• Like Like x 2
  17. skyMutt

I know this might seem obvious, but have you driven at all on the Bakerloo Line after the mastery update? While also being signed into Dovetail Live?
    One of the unfortunate things about Mastery is that it doesn't recognize anything you've done beforehand. It has only begun tracking progress after its implementation, which essentially means you might have to redo some things

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ewan Whiteside

Hmm I’ve certainly driven more than 5 miles and done 3 scenarios since it’s implementation some time ago. Seems like a bug to me...

Shame as I like the idea, as much as it’s basic now, there could be some pretty tough challenges added that I’d enjoy! - just want it to work!!

I may see if I can get it to work with a different route unless DTG Staff have any ideas on a fix?

Thanks for your reply, always good to get another persons thoughts!

• Like Like x 1
  19. skyMutt

No problem! It definitely sounds like an issue, as some other folks on these forums have reported problems with Mastery not tracking their progress. If anything, I'd recommend filing a support ticket to see if something can be done about it :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Log out from dovetail live and log back in, maybe this will fix.

• Like Like x 2
  21. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Don't worry.
    To us you'll always be a Master of the Dark Arts (underground division).

• Like Like x 2
  22. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

I would definitely like to see mastery unlock something more than some livery editor shapes or the market scene. For instance an actual livery which gets added to our library once completing level 1 would have been nicer than some extra shapes for the editor. Maybe something like this will be possible once livery sharing is progressed, so it's a "wait and see" situation there.

• Like Like x 2
  23. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes- TSW2020 gave us "dioramas" (i.e. background for loco stationary screens)- not really a significant thing, but big, visual and a change of pace from the generic siding. Why have those not been ported over?

• Like Like x 1
  24. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

For some people, mastery works fine but for some like me it doesn't work at all. I guess it's not a suprise that it doesn't track progress for me because it didn't work for me at all in tsw2020. I've logged out of Dovetail Live and logged back in and it still doesn't work. Heck I've driven 5 miles in the bakerloo line tunnels yet it fails to update even when I go back to the main menu. If this was tested properly, then there would be no issues with it.

As for the rewards for mastery themselves, they are utter crap in my opinion. I don't use livery designer so I'm not interested in getting stickers. The scenery to some may be nice, but to get the same three Christmas markets plopped on a route and a snowman on Sand Patch Grade that you most likely wouldn't even notice when driving by doesn't feel rewarding at all. I would've preferred maybe a new menu overlay or if we earn a certain number of points, we can use that to buy trains or routes although that is a bit of a huge stretch.

The challenges are not even a challenge to do. They are so easy to do that maybe it shouldn't be called mastery. Driving 5 miles is so simple to do. Maybe they should give difficult challenges like using all the safety systems in a train or stopping accurately when approaching a station

As to what the OP has said, I agree with him. Mastery seems like a half baked 5 minute project. The fact that it still doesn't work for some makes no sense and the rewards aren't really good at the moment. It needs to be improved and the rewards need to be changed so that they can be better.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  25. Shane0ooo

Shane0ooo New Member

Having just installed and enjoying the meditation of just driving a train for the fun and learning of real knowledge. I agree the overlay given for mastery of trains on the line gives the game (simulation) realism of feedback.

I got here completely lost as to what all this was about. Great concept needs more development. Perhaps a train fan market place, interact with aspects of trains walking around. Like a science Museum entry and a driver lounge can walk around put model train Easter eggs in the 'drivers lounge' say that opens up.

It's a good idea that needs direction as a new user.

26. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Stuck on level two mastery on koln aachen, completed it, but level 3 won’t unlock:(

27. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

the achievement for Clinchfield is a nice addition. :) TSW2_Coppo_1619604204_00.png

• Like Like x 3
  28. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as level 3. You already completed it.

29. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, when is the last time you have done any of the tutorials or driven on the route?

Also, in terms of the actual Mastery - I agree, the challenges could use some work, perhaps some extra tiers.

About the Overlays - I wish you could add people to a route with this, perhaps like various workers or citizens or something (for example, a guy standing by a BBQ in one of the backyards by Dante Yard).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  30. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

Since TSW2 mastery hasn't worked for me so I ignore it. I much prefer the steam achievements

31. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

I seem to be on the other side of the coin. :) I've completed the SPG achievements and level 1 of Bakerloo plus 1 of level 2 there yet still don't know what I've 'won' or where they are, how to get/use them etc. I don't use the loco editor so maybe that's why? Some things aren't particularly user friendly I've found. Oh well. :)

• Like Like x 1
  32. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

Ive not managed that :( But I agree With the Editor stuff! I cant get my head around the livery editor. But that's me. I'm a dab hand with computers but no good at stuff like Photoshop or other such software related tools. However i have a friend who cant do anything computer related (even making and account on a site or group! or even using his mobile phone) But he's really good with artwork and photoshop etc.

• Like Like x 1
  33. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

Yes I know what you mean Edward. Creativity is different in all of us and we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Art/drawing/design etc aren't yours OR mine! :) We're good with computers too - and with me it used to be writing silly poems, romantic poems and music. Not so much these days though. There's a great expression that sums this up (yeah another one ... I have lots of expressions too! :D ) one man's meat is another man's poison. Never mind I'm sure we're not missing much and you'll get there I'm sure so good luck. :)

• Like Like x 1
  34. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

Waste of time....they creating new addons to sell....blah blah blah....

35. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Misery Mod doest work here ;)

(PC - Steam account not linked with DTG website - and what I would do it ?)
    At least this function would be ok if the game would save in cloud

36. TKessel

TKessel Well-Known Member

Getting up this old thread here, mastery is not working for me on PC / Steam, Steam and Dovetail account are linked to each other, I'm logged in to my Dovetail Account. Screenshots are also not shown when uploaded, what is wrong? Should I write to the support?

37. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

No, it's no use.
    Me neither, that does not work. Support told me that sometimes I had to wait.
    I've been waiting for 2 years. :D