Tsw 2 Upcoming 'rush Hour' Feature

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Apr 11, 2021.

1. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

There are 4 North American Freight (with Cane Creek making it 5) Routes and 2 Passenger routes. How is the ratio balanced out? There are more freight North American Routes than Passenger. Pretty much every German route bar Rapid Transit comes with some sort of freight train

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Because wrt North America, it vastly overrepresents passenger routes. The RL ratio is something like 95:5.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

freight: SPG, CRR + OSD (not 4)
    passenger: LIRR, SFJ
    (+ mixed NEC is still playable) It's quite balanced, much more than Germany or UK. Cane Creek will break the balance but that is Skyhook's doing and I'm pretty sure the next US route will be passenger anyway. There are sadly just fewer American routes in the game.

Read again what I wrote about freight on German routes. Yes, some have freight but it's low effort and not very fun. Especially layered freight is there only to fill up the timetable.
    I also play passenger a lot but some focus on freight would be great for variety.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

It would be fitting if the new US route that gets revealed on the 4th is an Amtrak route, as their 50th Anniversary is on the 1st, which is tomorrow.

(Not saying it will be, but it would be convenient)

• Like Like x 5
  5. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I hope it’s the metro north Hudson line then you can do Amtrak up to Poughkeepsie New York.

6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I imagine quite a few of us will be disappointed if it doesn't happen. We've waited far too long for a new Amtrak route to replace NEC.

• Like Like x 4
  7. solicitr

SFJ is definitely a mixed route. In fact, personally I count it as a freight route since I only ever drive the UP services.

8. Crosstie

Actually, I hope it's a section or route we haven't seen before on either TSC or TSW(2). I'd be a little disappointed if it were Baltimore - Washingon or New York- Philadelphia. Philly to Harrisburg? It's about 100 miles. Chicago- Milwaukee a bit dull. Wouldn't you just love the Pere Marquette? - far too long and just one train a day. Best wait and see.

9. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Boston to Providence would be the best section.

10. Crosstie

That would be a popular choice and a good one, especially if it also included some local and regional services.

• Like Like x 1
  11. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

The way I see it, the 2 most likely NA passenger routes, whenever they might happen (wouldn't be surprised if one of these were part of rush hour), are

NEC New York - Trenton: w/ Amtrak ACS-64 + Amfleets, NJT ALP-46 + Bombardier Bilevels

NEC Boston - Providence: w/ Amtrak ACS-64 + Amfleets, MBTA F40PH-3C + Kawasaki Bilevels (and maybe the bombardier single level coaches but only the kawasaki cabcar)

Both have their pros and cons in terms of how much DTG can reuse, which let's be honest is probably a major consideration

If they dig up some of the old NEC:NY files, they can probably reuse some of them for either route, but more of them for the NJT route, after all New York (including sunnyside yard) - Newark Liberty is already modeled. (Bonus points if they modeled Hoboken and maybe even a stub of the NJCL out to South Amboy where some trains terminate, but that's probably asking a bit much)

With the Boston - Providence route, it would be a new area (and new license, though MBTA seemed open to the idea a while ago), but the F40 can reuse a lot from the Peninsula Corridor F40. (Bonus points for modeling the Stoughton Branch or continuing to Wickford Junction, again woth the first being more likely than the second)

With no real chance for freight stock being included in either, it would be neat to see sand patch actually add a freight layer to either of these since CSX equipment operates on both

And an acela, either the first generation or the avelia liberty, makes an obvious eventual DLC for either, both on sone of the faster bits of the NEC, while both commuter operators have diverse dlc-able equipment as well

Also the rush hour "feature" is probably just improved passenger simulation and that's probably about it

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

I think we’ll probably get the Boston-Providence section of the NEC, if MBTA gives DTG the green light, we’ll see a new commuter railroad make it to TSW. Apparently this section has the highest speed limits, so an Acela dlc will be right at home, but I’m not sure about NY-Trenton.

• Like Like x 1
  13. raildan

NY-Trenton is limited to 130 mph at the moment (I think, it may be 140) but they've been trying to raise speeds to 165 mph on it for a while now. I mean, they market the 125 mph GWE as "high speed" so it would still count for them, surely

I'd certainly prefer the Boston-Providence section though, because it's new and has some interesting variety.

A third option though, also in the northeast: Hudson line to Croton-Harmon w/ M7 (largely reused from LIRR of course) and P32DC-AM (they could knock out 2 services at once if they included Amtrak and Metro-North versions, with the shoreliner cab car as the 3rd driving cab- even that seems like a bit much for DTG by now though)

Or the hartford line, which would either come with an Amtrak P42 and metroliner cab car or a CTrail GP40-3H and MBB cab car, but not both, one would be DLC

And just to be thoroughly complete, I guess they could do Shore Line East (NEC New Haven - New London) with ACS-64 + Amfleet and P40DC + Mafersa coaches and cabcar

The last 2 need them to have CDOT licensing, which may be tied closely enough with the New Haven line stuff that they have it but idk, they may not. And freight for either of those last 2 would be less feasible without more licensing headaches, though the hudson line could again add a sand patch CSX layer

Ooh, and just *one* more, I guess they *could* do a subway line, following up on the Bakerloo line? Options are still limited, though, there's not really a New York subway line that really works with their limits similar to the bakerloo line... I guess the G train / Crosstown line or the Staten Island Railway would but that's not ideal, is it? If they got an MBTA license, they could go for an MBTA subway route, too, which would be... weird, but for completeness, not impossible.

Just trying to be extra secure here lol, I highly doubt it could really be anything other than these options. NY-NH is too long, the Harlem line is too limited, and I don't think they really have any other options licensing-wise.

• Like Like x 2
  14. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

RUSH HOUR: The Keyword is Rush Hour, and where else in the world have the most rush hour, i would say New York City, because thats the biggest busy city in world where train never stop, running 24 hours. I really do hope that is going to be METRO NORTH Route, with the new train car set which is the M8, along with the other old car set like the M7A/B Bombardier, and etc. Another route might be Amtrak or Amtrak Acela Route with the Surfliner new car set. Another route might be the NJT or NJ PATH but i prefer the NJT more, and with the NJT New Comet Car set. I really do hope that is definitely going to be target at New York City.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

What?

Not sure where you got Surfliner from (Which is the service between San Luis Obispo and San Diego), but the new trainsets are called Avelia Liberty. They also haven't even entered service yet, which is set for 2022.
    DSC_1021-e1551911192892.jpg f3920e166e815526410f3b42cad6af26.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    They've just released this image - make of it what you will.

• Like Like x 1
  17. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

Anyone recognize those buildings? DTG used to hide information in images like this. :D

18. Clumsy Pacer

The red and while will likely be DB red/White.

When TSW2 was first teased I remember we (well the Discord servers I was in) thought this was trying to represent the Intercity125 and Intercity Executive liveries. Turned out to be CSX and DB
    upload_2021-5-1_15-14-31.png

• Like Like x 1
  19. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

With the blue background, it can be USA as well. I can't wait to find out. :D

20. Clumsy Pacer

tbh it could be anywhere, to me it kind of looks a little bit like Canary Wharf.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Birmingham New St

• Like Like x 2
  22. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

I found the buildings from the picture in Boston, USA near South station. It's defintely the right place so it's likely we get a route from there, but this might not mean anything so don't get your hopes up.
    Posnetek zaslona (123)_LI.jpg

• Like Like x 14
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

New country Poland? (White/Red) :D
    maxresdefault_gsfiHSQ.jpg

24. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

My best guess for the USA route is a remastered NEC. My reasoning is two-fold: firstly DTG have previous form as they did the exact same thing with SPG, secondly they deliberately forewent carrying NEC over from TSW 2020 citing “too much work involved”. This would allow them to do more justice to the route, and as they already have most assets it would be a relatively cost-effective contribution to the Rush Hour pack.

If I were the cynical type (cough) I might suggest changing the name to “Rushed Pack”, but DTG may yet surprise us and despite very questionable decisions with recent releases, come up with a gem.

• Like Like x 5
  25. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

My fingers crossed for NEC. And I really hope for a P42DC, or an Acela. With the P42DC I maybe ask too much but I hope.

• Like Like x 1
  26. sukihersch

sukihersch Member

I reckon this is pretty conclusive – they can choose any image they like, and to have "accidentally" chosen a stock "oh just put up some city skyline who cares where it is" photo that just coincidentally happens to be next to a train station (indeed that is looking towards the train station) is surely too much a coincidence to be plausible

• Like Like x 1
  27. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  28. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I think Louis-MTA NYCTA had the right idea - it is more important to be more inclusive, and accept that written communications do not need to be gold-plated to be understood, and for them to be valuable. However.... if you take a strong stance on demanding perfection, and you assert your own abilities to always be correct.... then you set yourself up to meet an impossible standard for yourself.

The word "English", in reference to the language, is treated like a proper noun and starts with the capital letter "E". I am not judging you though.... Maybe this will help you for next time.....? ;-)

Back to topic.... I predict that the three "Rush Hour" routes will include:

- NEC (completely "re-worked from the ground up", but bizarrely looking almost identical to the original TSW version, with exactly the same bugs in exactly the same places)
    - Hamburg/Lubeck
    - Cathcart Circle

And... for the new route of extremely big iconic luxuriousness, and featuring very many textures from TS 2012..... I have a sneaky feeling that London (Gatwick) to Brighton might be on the cards. Or they might really push the boat out and start the London end from Croydon.

And.....

I think that there will be more passengers visible. I have always found it a bit strange that TSW uses avatars that have a huge number of animated prims that are never seen/used - their tongues, teeth, etc. Cut out the tongues and you can get double the number of passengers. Cut out their tongues... I say....!

• Like Like x 4
  29. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

There's a simple command for the engine.ini (on pc) to have more passengers so i really really hope that's not their big "look at this amazing feature"

• Like Like x 2
  30. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I must admit, the phrase "Rush Hour" sends a bit of a shiver down my spine. This is partly because I used to commute into London Bridge.... but in the context of TSW 2, the last thing that I want for the 2021 bundle of routes to be...is... RUSHed.... Or for the QA to take just one HOUR.

So - whatever "Rush Hour" is, I am hoping that they took their time with it. I am hoping that:

- the software will get tested and put through some sort of robust Quality Assurance process;
    - the testing will include all platforms, including Playstation and XBox;
    - the testing will include a timely and detailed check of the final shipping builds; and,
    - that no date for launch is revealed until all of the above has been confidently completed.

We do not want:

- an arbitrary release date or deadline announced that they already know that they cannot humanly meet, without there being serious implications for the quality and functioning of the Rush Hour product; or,
    - to do the initial testing of the shipping build on the day of release in the Raifan TV launch stream, taking notes on whatever bugs appear during the live broadcast as they happen, and making promises to fix them over the next few years.

Other than that, I must say... I am quite looking forward to whatever the "Rush Hour" surprise is.... ;-O

• Like Like x 8
  31. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

It's been said in other places the dispatcher/signaller has needed work (I agree completely) Bakerloo didn't get its extra services as the game dispatcher collapsed. This Rush hour hopefully sees a strengthening in that area. It probably will mean more passengers on platforms but I think we are going to see more complex timetable and perhaps some randomised features. I could be wrong but all is revealed soon.

• Like Like x 1
  32. solicitr

Not a valid comparison. SPG was ported and upgraded, but they cannot do that with NEC. NEC was a dead end. NEC would have to be rebuilt from scratch- in other words, a completely new route, with no advantages over any other new route.
    I find the Boston connection to to image interesting. The mainline from Boston south to Hartford is where the high-speed section is, a place to run the Acela Liberty.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I'm not getting my hopes up for anything, many of us have been here before......

• Like Like x 1
  34. MetrolinkF125#916

Ok, we got our first teaser image, with what appear to be buildings in the city of Boston, and, the colors red and white? Has anyone considered CTrail yet?:D
    upload_2021-5-1_9-31-8.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

And yet… SPG was an older route than NEC, so why was the latter a dead end and not the former? I know DTG told us it would need rebuilding from scratch but personally I’d take this with a pinch of salt, it could be just sleight of hand on their part hehe. ;) Anyway your guess is as good as mine friend, we’ll find out soon enough what’s in store.

• Like Like x 2
  36. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Tehy will place the dusto with hight (you know the one a lot of people a wining about) on the last usa trainset to carry cargo

37. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am thinking Rush hour will be an updated i.e (busier) Timetables for maybe Bakerloo, Lirr and Rapid Transit.
    This would explain all the recent work on these 3 routes by the preservation Team.
    Mike .

• Like Like x 4
  38. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

upload_2021-5-1_20-56-54.png
    In a different thread, a possibility of Red Line in Boston was mentioned... it would probably fit with the line schemes they use in TSW2.

• Like Like x 5
  39. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

So...Boston, huh? To my shame, despite driving past it a few times, I've never visited.

Looking at the NEC timetable, looks like Providence, RI at MP43 would be the likely endpoint, with two intermediate stops. Kingston, RI is next at MP70, but Acela doesn't stop there, so seems unlikely- next Acela stop is New Haven, CT at MP156 (which would truly be a miracle). NE Regional would the same 3 stops and almost the same drive time 35-40 min- guessing you can really only get up to speed in the stretch approaching Providence. First thoughts are it makes more logical sense than Newark Liberty-New Rochelle did, with an actual terminus. Only 4 modeled stations is kinda worrisome though....or am i crazy?

Can any locals talk about commuter rail and/or potential freight opportunities along the route? Yards? Equipment?

I want to be excited about this, though!

Edit: corrected Kingston to Providence. Also, with commuter rail there might be more than 4 stations, but i don't know for sure.

40. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

7FC40674-536D-4C15-9B05-D75D15F97890.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  41. Clumsy Pacer

It's noting to do with age - with NEC they were apparently trying to take the game in a different direction (no idea what) to the direction they ended up going, as such was a development dead end, like turning left at a junction instead of turning right like Donna in that Doctor Who episode.

• Like Like x 3
  42. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Very good episode.

43. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

The image is definitely Boston. Hamburg-Lübreck to be released in a fortnight according to some on the streams. We will all know in 3 days time.

• Like Like x 3
  44. solicitr

NEC was an experiment in routebuilding and programming techniques that didn't pan out, so it's an orphan. It's like that one Betamax tape in a stack of VHS.

45. miaideli

miaideli New Member

I also wish Rush Hour will not be a rushed product :) I hope for the price it will be a product of love, care, and some testing :))
    Or maybe we get a discount so, we can test it, in no rushed manner :))

I also hope for more NPCs and better sound to make the rail more alive, especially on Rush Hours.
    Even preprogrammed station calls to announce problems on the rails, and packed stations. Angry people hitting the alarm.
    Kinda wish to feel like "boy, that was a trip, phiu :o*

Also wish to have test driver missions, like scenarios that bring us back in time, when locos/dmu/emu etc were being tested. I wish that TSW could provide us with that experience of driving a "brand new train" not yet tamed. A bunch of NPCs on laptops or on paper notebooks with diagrams on tables and that stuff. Why not throw some sandbags, missing carpets/decor, visibility over the cables, and a sheet of paper with instructions on what to do/test on the train with AP for each well-passed test. This way we can also learn what the locos can and cannot do.

• Like Like x 3
  46. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well I could be perfectly okay with this one!

47. raildan

Well, given it's Boston, I'm going with my NEC Boston-Providence idea a few posts ago as my first choice, and the Red Line as a second choice. (Orange line is possible too I guess)

• Like Like x 4
  48. solicitr

Boston to Providence looks likely. About half an hour by express train (28 minutes on Acela), so a typical TSW distance, and includes the USA's only 150mph (240 km/h) trackage. Will probably include MBTA as well.

• Like Like x 5
  49. MetrolinkF125#916

I really hope it has something to do with Amtrak, since the original NEC didn’t make it to TSW 2 we need a replacement, of course not the exact same route. But those red and white lines on the teaser, hmm...

• Like Like x 3
  50. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

DO you know how long we as the community have ask Matt about adding more North American Route, it has too be more North American Routes mostly take place in the city. I wouldn't be surprise if its new york city, because its about time.I just really do hope so, i really want to see njt, amtrak, and metro north added.