German Intercity Routes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cwf.green, May 1, 2021.

1. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

I love the BR101, it is one of my favorite German locomotives and easily my favorite loco in TSW2.
    Unfortunately they seem to be nearing retirement but I am interested in German routes that has intercity services (or had them just a few years ago), but with some criteria which I will explain my reasoning for:

1. It should be at least 50 km but probably not more than 100 km, since DTG has not shown an interest in building longer routes.

2. I'd like it to have at least one intermediate scheduled stop (i.e start - middle - end, rather than just a point A to point B run).

3. Speed can be high or low.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps if we get a few candidates we could convince DTG to get us Intercity lovers what we want in the future ;)

One route I thought of is Hamburg Hbf - Lüneburg/Uelzen which would be 50-80 km and has both ICE and IC services (and would include Maschen Rbf).

Of course the West-Rhine Railway (the Northern Part from Cologne to Koblenz) is another good one with usually 3 stops (Bonn, Remagen and Andernach).

• Like Like x 3
  2. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

Without the cabcar the br101 is limited in its use in potential routes, unfortunately.

3. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Cologne - Koblenz is perfect!

Length: Around 90 kilometres
    IC-Stops:
    • Bonn Hbf
    • Remagen
    • Andernach
    • Koblenz
    Cologne is already built, so it can be reused.
    Cologne-Koblenz was built in TS, so some 3D-Objects can be reused. And no addition route infomation to gather.
    And it offers so many layers for freight and regional passenger servies.

It is already often suggested, for example here. Go there and say you want this route :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. cwf.green

Not *that* limited imo. You can run each train realistically in one direction (and unrealistically the other), but then you can run some special trains realistically in the other direction and Eurocity trains (where ever appropriate) realistically in both directions.

Either way it is certainly not a good argument against DTG releasing routes where Intercity runs.

All good points!

5. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

I already believe it, I hope it comes out

6. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

The problem with Köln-Koblenz is...
    only 160 km/h, no LZB on this route.

For an original IC-route, it seems the route Hamm-Soest-Paderborn-Altenbeken seems to fit better.
    95 kilometers in total
    Hamm-Paderborn:78 kilometers fitted with LZB, speed limit up to 200 km/h
    Paderborn-Altenbeken: 160 km/h speed limit
    IC-Stops were Hamm, Soest, Lippstadt, Paderborn, Altenbeken
    57 minutes (about an hour) travel time.

minus:
    not much IC-traffic today, timetable have to be prior than 2010. And even than only 16 ICs could be seen on this route...(prior to 2008 22 ICs+8 ICE-T)

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

To each one better, I hope the next German route is longer than the ones we have, as they are made very short. Why is there less and less IC traffic?

8. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

It's integrated in the nowadays RRX-concept. But if you set it before 2009 you would also see on this route the RE 11 Rhein-Hellwig-Express

[​IMG]
    with DB BR 425:

[​IMG]
    freight with the DB BR 155
    [​IMG]

and tapping the hot plate...
    DB BR 112 with DoStos

[​IMG]

9. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

...High-entry DoSto's, mind you :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Köln - Wuppertal might interest you.

The max speed is 160 km/h, no LZB, and it has one intermediate stop at Solingen Hbf (and some at Köln Messe/Deutz). The BR 101 could make a nice layer here. It is however a bit on the short side however.

11. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Of course, we don't have a cab car. But with a little flexibility we can bypass this absence.

Trainspotting April 2021 / Rothester_411er - YouTube

Sure, we don't have a cab car. But with a little flexibility we can bypass this absence.
    In the short video there are 2 ICs (ok, the 182 is a Eurocity) with sandwitch double-loco traction.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  12. cwf.green

I found this cab ride of Nuremberg - Stuttgart. I'm not sure if all the IC1 trains have been updated to IC2/ICE4 but perhaps the section Stuttgart - Aalen could be interesting. It is about 75km, has speeds up to 140 km/h (no LZB I presume) and would have one stop at Schwäbisch Gmünd. The journey time on this section is slightly more than 50 minutes.

Otherwise the slightly longer section Nuremberg - Crailsheim (90km) has speeds up to 160 km/h (not sure if there are any sections with LZB but I presume not?) and IC services stop at Ansbach. The journey time on this section is also around 50 minutes.

13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's not a question of "upgrading" IC1s to IC2s. The IC2 service is a lower-cost, less-luxury service than the original IC's (think of it as IC 2nd Class), a replacement for the defunct Interregio Express services (cynics would say it's just a DB cash grab, to charge more money for the same thing).

ICs are definitely being replaced by ICE-Ts and ICE 4s, which are pretty much designed to run on the faster-but-not-schnellfahr lines which have previously been IC routes. The impression I get is that DBFV plan to phase out the 101s and Eurofimas entirely, replaced by the EMUs.

14. cwf.green

That's why I wrote "update" and not "upgrade" ;)

15. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

By the way that's an ÖBB1116 which is a Reskined DB BR182 into ÖBB Red Paint. That's why there's proposals for Tauernbahn & Brenner Bahn to bring ÖBB trains into TSW 2. If this were to be AM Rush 05:00-10:00 PM Rush Hour 16:00-21:30 the ÖBB1116 reskinned DB BR182 towards Klagenfurt/Graz from Frankfurt Am Main will need to be held to let a regional or ICE Train Line 42 first then the ÖBB1116 can proceed into München Hbf. Line is Haputstrecke München Augsburg. IC31 services are seen on Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Lohr section

Last edited: May 4, 2021