Tsw 2 Upcoming 'rush Hour' Feature

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

The MBTA uses cab cars, yes, so those don't have to turn around. Only the Amtrak trains.

Regarding this, I doubt MBTA locos would shunt around Amtrak trains. The Amtrak trains probably turn around by themselves the way it has been mentioned before, by reversing into a turn around siding. Doesn't New York Penn also have a similar loop in the original TSW NEC route?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Well at the very least this route might be a good candidate for a future yard switcher dlc.The TSW1 NEC did get a AMTRAK SW1000R Switcher.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Overhead of the ballon track in Boston, just north of Amtraks South Hampton yard. Pretty sure Dovetail will model this for the turnaround services.
    20210503_110004.jpg 20210503_110017.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

And risky.

• Like Like x 1
  5. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

No. It's much worse. In TSW 2 the player is encouraged to walk around the builds to collect stuff.

I first saw the Waiting Room textures at Gillingham when walking right next to them.....! You really need to build out relief to windows and door-frames if the player is expected to walk right up to the building. And then apply some appropriate quality textures that match the almost photo-realistic train model in the background. They managed to do this elsewhere in TSW (like on GWE). It's the incongruity that is mostly jarring.

And these Waiting Room textures really are exactly the same set of textures in TSW 2 that you get in TS 2012, applied to four faces of a simple block (although I suspect that the other two non-visible faces are also textured, as they are on WSR, burning huge amounts of memory and CPU/GPU time).

Hopefully London/Brighton will have some better care applied to it in the new "Rush Hour" pack. But if not, then well, it is only £8...... And frankly, my collection of 3rd rail TS2012 routes and rolling stock will easily entertain me for as long as I live, including London-Brighton, which I ran today from London Bridge in my Class 415.... .

And anyway, the "Rush Hour" Dresden build-out is likely to be awesomely good (check out the main station on TS 2012....!). I am also crossing my fingers on the Boston route, but I have a feeling it will be LIRR quality (fairly good quality) and not OSD style (abysmal horror.....!). I hope so.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I watched a video on YT earlier which showed an ACS-64 reversing back into Boston station coaches first. This must be standard practice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. synthetic.angel

It's the same texture..... but anyway.....

.... actually, I am all for DTG churning out a port of lots more TS2012 content to TSW, so that it can be played on Playstation, Xbox, and on PC, under-pinned by the UE environment.

A lot of the builds in TS2012 are very good quality, and when the route/loco packages come to TSW you tend to get a lot of interactive features on the rolling stock that are easier to access and more fun to use. And there tends to be improved audio (without recourse to third-party sound packs) - and if the rolling stock continues to have audio like DB BR 101 and the Class 465 (the only reason why I bought SHS in the first place), then that is a huge step forward.

But let's not kid ourselves that the work to port across a recent TS2012 route like Dresden, or a circa 2011 route like London/Brighton involves anywhere near the work required to produce something entirely new, like the utterly fabulous Bakerloo Line (even with the loading gauge issues). And that would still be the case even if DTG did some relatively minor work to bring routes like SHS up to standard, to refresh it after ten years, and make it suitable for a 3D environment that you are actively encouraged to walk around. Maybe Adam and the new environment team will work on SHS as part of their Preservation/Upgrade work.

But the key point in all this is that the Rush Hour pack of three routes at £25 is a fairly good price (a no-brainer....!), even if two of the routes are largely copied across from TS2012 to TSW 2. (Although I suspect that London-Brighton will not come with Stewarts Lane, or a functional set of yards at Clapham.... but then again.... I didn't expect them to do the whole route from Victoria in one go either..... so we'll just have to wait and see, and be pleasantly surprised).

I still want a Class 73. ;-)

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  8. pacificorca#1435

pacificorca#1435 Active Member

This is actually really interesting, despite going through South Station quite a few times I guess I never paid enough attention to the turnarounds. I always assumed they would just connect a new engine to the other end and decouple the previous engine, seems like a lot less work that way.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Northeast Regional trains need to be backed into South Station platforms. They either use the loop tracks near Southampton Street yard to loop back around after arriving into Boston...OR..they start from Southampton Street Yard and get backed into the station. Just depends if the train is turning right back around to go back west or if its a fresh consist from Southampton.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I'm quite familiar with German routes, and that (if there isn't a cab on the other end) is usually what happens.

A balloon track sounds really fun though, as you get to drive a train backwards :). I really think that would make a neat little service.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Backing up a fresh train from Southampton Street Yard into South Station sounds really fun too, though still not as fun as the loop track.

• Like Like x 2
  12. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Operating over the loop tracks is slow, yet enjoyable. You also get to go through a train wash if routed on the 'wet loop' track (there is a dry loop track too that doesn't traverse the wash). Additionally, there's a grade crossing at Widett Circle after the train wash. Pretty neat area overall. Lots going on.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

They don't do that, because generally, the whole train is facing one direction (=the seats are nearly all in the direction of travel). Amfleet seats supposedly allow to be flipped the other way, but pulling the whole train out through the balloon is easier than running through 8 coaches flipping all seats (which allegedly is a great way to snap your fingers if done badly). Even long-distance Amtrak trains do some crazy turns in terminal stations. Nearly all of them when arriving at Chicago Union from the south, turn around and THEN back into the station with engines facing out.

• Like Like x 4
  14. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

Fellas....this is train sim world 2.

If a siding is supposed to be usable you can be guaranteed that it'll be blocked off by a permanently red signal!

:cool:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Based on this video, they also back their trains in from the Los Angeles yard at Redondo Junction to Union Sation as well.

• Like Like x 2
  16. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

CUS most trains have a cabbage car on the other end so they don't need to turn around. There is a wye around 14th street where the long distance ones do the backwards move though.

17. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This is the video I saw of the ACS-64 reversing into the platform… Around the 2m35s mark.

• Like Like x 4
  18. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Second HBL Preview stream will be this Thursday. JD said so in last Thursday's stream

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  19. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

They back out of the station into a big ole loop and then back into the station again facing the other direction.

20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Remember, most urban terminal stations in the US were built in the steam era, long before cab cars or double-ended engines. Accordingly most were built with wyes or balloons, for this very reason

• Like Like x 3
  21. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but at some point in the past, they needed a diesel switcher to propel the train around the balloon track due to lack of catenary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. solicitr

The Boston division of the NEC wasn't electrified at all until around 2000- everything was diesel.

• Like Like x 2
  23. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

I would've hoped some progress might be made in combining/extending routes. Another that springs to mind is the Watford DC lines (London Euston - Watford Junction) which have shared track use between Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone. This would add variety to both routes. Other ideas which might(?) have been more popular on GWE than the "Diesel Legends" would be to model the Thames branches that link into the GWML. In most cases you'd just run the branch but there are instances with ECS moves etc. where you start with bringing the stock into service. And of course the Greenford branch timetable is already hidden within GWE as the 'secret' route (triggered by starting 1W14 and quitting) from West Ealing to Paddington.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

And another one reversing out at 18:00. Cool video!

• Like Like x 1
  25. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It doesn’t strike me as entirely safe reversing such a long train over a relatively long distance, but there probably isn’t an alternative. It is neat to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It's not very well visible, but I'm... 95 % sure there's someone in the last car talking to the engineer and instructing them.

• Like Like x 6
  27. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

That would make sense.

28. solicitr

They've been doing it there since 1899.

• Like Like x 1
  29. solicitr

Reversing moves always have a brakeman in the lead car.

• Like Like x 2
  30. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="stujoy, post: 303246, member: 13489]For me it means there is no need to buy any DLC before this releases, which means I can save up a budget for some of the latest things to have come out in future sales. When Rush Hour releases I shall bag myself three routes for the price of one for some bargain train sim action. It looks like three good routes too, and the small number of new trains included is no cause for concern at that price. Happy days.[/QUOTE]
    I wish DTG were more open about their proposed releases. Ok they don't want to specify dates, but taking the model railway manufacturers as an example they give their prospective customers a year's worth of releases with an indication of which Quarter they intend to release said product. This gives the customer an informed choice of possible purchase options, and should they buy something when the have a special event (such as a birthday) or wait for what they consider they really want.

• Like Like x 2
  31. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Like I didn't know that sherlock but doesn't British based video game companies get some sort of tax credit and relief under The Video Games Tax Relief?

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  32. synthetic.angel

Only under certain conditions, including things like not having gambling* as a key feature. And in the event there's any danger you might be making too much money, then you can always split your company into two parts, and claim the relief twice.

-------------------
    *Which is a shame, because I think an in-game currency (supported by currency DLCs) would be a good earner. And if a route is set in the 1980s, then you'd expect to see a few one-arm bandits in the station's cafe/bar, to while away the time (and your pocket) before the next departure.

• Like Like x 2
  33. tallboy7648

They would have to add it since Boston South station is the very last stop on the entire Northeast corridor. If they didn't add it, how would players do a return journey back south to head to Washington D.C Union Station. (In game it would be Providence of course)

• Like Like x 1
  34. tallboy7648

Ah so I was right

35. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They do get tax relief and it’s great that they do because without it, there would be no way some smaller companies could survive in the video game sector, resulting in no indie games and no train simulators of any kind made in the UK.

• Like Like x 6
  36. tallboy7648

I agree that it's a good thing :)

• Like Like x 1
  37. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It's confirmed, Rush Hour leaks were right

• Like Like x 5
  38. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  39. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Happy happy happy days. Time to get even more excited than I already was. A grown man shouldn’t be this excited over trains :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  40. tallboy7648

I wonder if someone at dtg is kicking themselves because someone ruined the surprise a bit early.

• Like Like x 6
  41. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Not the best kept secret

• Like Like x 3
  42. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

It is for console only, if you look at the platform on which it is to be released, PC is not listed

43. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Bahnstrecke Riesa - Dresden – This 65-mile route features a variety of branches including Meißen with the S1, Dresden Flughafen with the S2 and Großenhain. Also included is the high-speed line for IC (DB BR 101 required) and ICE services (DB BR 406 ICE 3M required).

This is on the steam page (so it is coming to PC...) https://store.steampowered.com/app/1490114/Train_Sim_World_2_Rush_Hour/

• Like Like x 3
  44. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Joke of the year ahahaha

• Like Like x 9
  45. Either that, or they leaked it themselves on purpose...

46. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

Not sure where you are/aren't seeing that. But they have 2 FAQs one which lists minimum PC specs. One which says game on Steam. So sounds like PC to me

• Like Like x 1
  47. tallboy7648

Wait wouldn't the DB BR 411 ICE T run on this route and not the DB BR 403 ICE 3M. From what I've seen the 411s are used so I don't think ICE services are coming

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  48. 65 MILES!!!??

• Like Like x 1
  49. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Steam means PC.

• Like Like x 2
  50. tallboy7648

Well the leak did get removed a couple hours later so I guess it was not intended