Some Minor Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ProfCreeptonius, May 3, 2018.

1. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello community!

Here are a few more obscure things some of us might like to see in TSW
    These aren't groundbreaking, but would be very nice features if ever added
    - The capability to jump
    - Increased FOV
    - Coupling view from TSxx
    - Freeze frame from TSxx
    - The option to include motionblur in screenshots
    - Player and Passenger collisions, i.e. I want to nudge my passengers off my train
    - DLC specific unit settings (i.e. I want to be able to setup GWE on mph, and RT on kph)
    That concludes my short list of small changes that would make me that 5% happier when playing TSW
    If you have any ideas, feel free to add :D

Cheers,
    Prof

2. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

They disabled jumping because it could get you stuck I think.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Why not keyboard mappings or the ability to remove the menu (so that those who play without a pause key can line up their screenshots)

4. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Shukal That's a cheap excuse though....
    ARuscoe Why not indeed :)

5. Shukiii

In Fernbus Simulator you can jump and I got stuck a few times. I would like the feature in TSW though.

6. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

You suggested some stuff that would require some serious work and aren't as minor as you think.
    Just a few things to note:
    - The capability to jump.
    This would need complete revision of every collidable surface to allow for the chance of it being jumped on. As well as adding collision points in above every low ceiling and doorway to make sure you don't jump your head through and see stuff you aren't supposed to. The added difficulty of working out the physics for what happens when you jump on a moving train would be a bug generator. It would all be a huge undertaking.
    - The option to include motion blur in screenshots.
    A system for momentarily switching and switching off graphical options would be difficult to optimise and implement smoothly.
    Motion blur relies on movement in order to work. So turning on motion blur for a second would need the engine to know the direction of movement before the moment before you took the screenshot. Which is possible if that data is being tracked, but ultimately it would be an additional process that has the potential to be one of the many things that effect the framerate. For something that wouldn't be on by default, and used by very few, it wouldn't make sense dedicate time to it.
    - Player and Passenger collisions.
    This is not minor, but depending on their approach it could be possible in efficient time. Instead of direct pushing to move passengers, passengers could identify the players presence as something to move away from if they can. That would mean heavy work on the npc AI but would have wider use in terms of collision avoidance in general for Npcs. I would be surprised if this isn't on the long list of things to be worked on one day.

Otherwise everything else is camera and UI options which is comparatively less intensive work to implement.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

There's no need to remove screen overlays such as the menu in order to take a screenshot: simply press Ctrl+F12. Unfortunately, these images wind up in Documents>MyGames>TSPrototype>Saved>Screenshots>WindowsNoEditor; and are PNG files.

8. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Blind speculation is better than . . . ?

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yes Ctrl+12 or ctrl+s take screen grabs they don’t allow you to pause the action in a decently lit position and then manoeuvre to a good camera location and angle
    Doing all that on the move usually leads to either lost time or overspeed
    The only other option I can think of is have a keymapped “studio camera view” which would do the same as pause and could be tied into an unused camera number key

10. Shukiii

Matt said they disabled jumping because it caused unintended behavior. Better?