Brighton Mainline (victoria To Brighton) Questions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, May 2, 2021.

1. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yes but unless something's happened and I've not realised those trains do not go via Brighton, instead going via Plumpton.
    upload_2021-5-5_12-39-0.png

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

They would have had to add the extra track to both routes in connecting them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevint1972

kevint1972 Member

I'm curious how realistic they're going to make the rush hour passenger density. This is one of the busiest commuter routes in the country, notoriously so. Outside of the Covid pandemic, you would expect rush hour trains on this line to be rammed full of people to a point where you couldn't walk through the train.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think they're going to focus on the number of trains on track rather than whether your avatar can get a seat...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ryan1997

Ryan1997 Member

Also have Croydon to Milton Keynes services.

Wonder if these destinations were added to the ECW 377 PIS in the hope that BML would come one day

• Like Like x 1
  6. ILied

ILied Active Member

No franchise operator owns the trains they run. If it were the issue, then nobody would be in the game because everyone uses the same model. The IP issue you talk about it is simply getting the licence to put the Thameslink livery on the side.

7. ARuscoe

This presumes that DTG haven't spoken to the train's owners for the other units... in Thameslink's case the company specifically owns the 700s and not much else

As has been said repeatedly, they have inroads with GTR so I doubt the logo is the issue

• Like Like x 1
  8. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It was addressed in the stream yesterday. This is one of those things that are really difficult to get working the right way from a technical POV (watch the stream for the full explanation). DTG is building each route in a way that is compatible with adding this feature in the future, but it is not possible at this time and not coming any time soon (if it ever does). They are just not shutting the door completely.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ARuscoe

In some ways it's less technical than they were making out, depending on the feature set they have developed. I'm still hoping they go down the "network approach" so that eventually all routes can link together with a proper timetable, rather than individual services having to be built every time

10. leyland1195

leyland1195 New Member

I just wish AP would let them use there 377 sounds as have to be better then they are currently

• Like Like x 1
  11. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that right now they can't even get all the services working in HMA in the previous gen consoles. Just think what would happen if they try to simulate 2 or 3 routes at the same time ...

• Like Like x 2
  12. ARuscoe

My thought is that they don't have to...
    Tiles load in and out as you go over them, so if a route is a mile long or 1000 miles long the memory usage is the same. I believe that the dispatcher and signalling are loaded "all at once" and this takes up a lot of memory, but if in their optimisation and dispatcher workings they can make that work "more locally to the train" then this would reduce the overhead on the system as it wouldn't care if something was happening 50 tiles away, only when that unit came within say 5 tiles.
    Obviously then the system is "counting tiles" but better that then "counting consists doing things nobody cares about quite yet anyway"

• Like Like x 2
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The dispatcher necessarily has to keep track of every train that exists within the route.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ARuscoe

Depends... If every station platform had a portal and ONLY the trains five tiles away were ported in, at line speed, then only the trains within range of the player would be in memory at that time.
    It's how I build scenarios in TSC. If DTG could do this programmatically then it would reduce the memory load, although there would be some in "monitoring the tile boundaries"

15. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I think it would not only be a memory problem, but also a cpu processing power problem. You still need to know what each train is doing all the time. Still, even if that was possible they would need to invest the time to make all those upgrades to the dispatcher. Then think about the timetable. It took 3 weeks to make the new RT timetable. Think how much longer it would be if they had to test it alone, then adding route X, then also route Y, making sure nothing breaks. Development time increases fast. By no means an easy task.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Matt did suggest that one of our resident modding experts might be able to 'hack' it (route linking). He seemed to be saying that there are already mods to enable this at Hagen, but I haven't seen them.

• Like Like x 2
  17. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I saw it yeah, but I think Matt said people had done it on the German routes. Love to know how but I dare say it’s memory usage and timetables that will make it a pain to do for DTG

• Like Like x 1
  18. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

That does not apply here. Scenarios and timetable work differently, even if it might seem the same to a player.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

There is a difference between "works" and it is "production ready". Modders can just try anything and if it works great and if it crashes they can just jump to something else or not care.

20. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

That's right?
    I've never seen a mod that merges RRO with RSN, although I have to admit I've looked for it multiple times.
    I hope it is said in the forums or the community is notified, because it would make many people happy.
    Greetings.

21. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen a mod from trainsim-cz for TSW2020 that merges the old NEC and LIRR together, but I haven’t seen any Hagen ones either.

22. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Matt did hint they were looking at sourcing new sounds for the 387, so perhaps that means they’ll use AP’s updated sounds, if they let them.

• Like Like x 4
  23. solicitr

The dispatcher has to be aware of the entire 24-hour timetable. Even if a train doesn't appear on the map until it emerges from the City Tunnel portal at 12:47, the dispatcher has to be aware that at 12:47 it needs to spawn that train from that portal. And except in scenario mode, all those trains run; they aren't suddenly warping in when the player gets close.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It would probably be a safe guess that "spawn train X there at that time" might be on the lower end of optimisation problems. :D

• Like Like x 1
  25. solicitr

While that's quite true, the busier the timetable gets, that is the more trains on-map at one time, the heavier the processing load.

Imagine Bakerloo with the RL timetable, with trains following each other at just a few minutes' interval. Think how many active trains that is, in both directions, between H&W and E&C.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think Matt said it's only about 20 or 30 trains in total, if that. The current timetable in TSW uses 9. All the trains it's supposed to have running are in the game world anyway, they just sit in the depot doing nothing.

The reason I say 'only' is because they'll have 136 Class 377s and 27x 387s. I imagine most services will run as 8-car sets (maybe with the odd 12-car), so I rekon that at some point (probably in the peak hours) on the BML route there'll be about 60 active trains on the map.

Something I'm wondering, is if they'll leave the SWML and Windsor Lines at Clapham Junction empty.

• Like Like x 1
  27. londonmidland

They will - as they don't have any suitable rolling stock for the SWR services. So it'll just be the 'Southern' side of Clapham Junction which will be populated.

The same question can be said for London Victoria, for the SE side - we've got suitable rolling stock for it, for those that own SEHS and the 465, but will they utilise it?

• Like Like x 7
  28. joshuan542

joshuan542 New Member

selhurst and be accessed via the London Bridge side or indeed via Selhurst station, this is where I did my training and what a busy depot it was! Shunt drivers are max 10mph and mainline can do 15mph

• Like Like x 2
  29. londonmidland

Hopefully we’ll see busy scenes like this in BML:
    A91A9757-A536-4E28-9EEA-B5EF49F39236.jpeg

• Like Like x 14
  30. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

The 387 is different outside it looks identical but it’s when you get into train you realise the differences between the 2 in the main the difference is the master key throttle area cab layout plus in case of included GX 387/2 it’s dual voltage which allows for pantagraph usage on scenario planner on routes such as sehs tgv etc also the 387 takes its sounds from AP as does BML 377

• Helpful Helpful x 1