Tsw 2 Ps5 And Series X Upgrade. Layers

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jeanmarc094, May 5, 2021.

1. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

Munchen-Augsburg should get all the layers now right??

• Like Like x 1
  2. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

On PS5 HMA can be unstable still, I’ve had consistent crashes when going through Munchen Pasing in the scenario editor using 20 services, so weather optimisation still needs to be done is a question.

The new Dresden route sounds like it will be similar to HMA with all the layers it has though.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Sony and Microsoft only allow graphical improvements to be the only difference between versions of games optimized for next-gen consoles. That is unless the game is exclusive to next-gen consoles (which it’s not). TSW layers would be considered a gameplay feature, therefore it must be consistent between all versions (last gen and next gen).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

Can someone from DTG confirm whether or not this is true?

The entire Rush Hour concept is based around busy timetables and high levels of traffic. If the PS5 and XSX versions of the game are limited to what the older consoles can handle (which will almost certainly be reduced versions of what is available on PC, just as in HMA) then that is a significant loss of functionality.

Matt said that the London to Brighton timetable will almost certainly be the busiest timetable thus far ... Is it guaranteed that the full timetable, and any layers added via DLC etc. will actually be available for console users?

• Like Like x 1
  5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It’s not as black and white as whoever said that put it, where a game can take advantage of the increased performance, it can, and UE upgrade is able to tell the difference between say a PS4 & PS5, so if the passenger count is dynamic enough to know that it can spawn more passengers it will, but where the game engine has to be told to do something such as increased passenger numbers or increased traffic, that’s DTG’s decision.

There are more than a few PS4/PS5 and Xbox1/Series games that show this difference in terms of either reduced or increased AI, traffic, assets etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DeStijl

This is helpful, thanks.

I would still like to see DTG address the original question regarding whether or not they are planning to unlock the layers in HMA on the next gen consoles once the PS5/XSX versions are released.

7. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah I hope so too.

8. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I believe on the most recent stream it was mentioned that there can be no gameplay differences between PS4 and ps5 so the current optimisations would still be needed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeStijl

Perhaps this could be solved by adding an option to turn layers on/off to all versions.

That way players on the new consoles could turn them on, while players on old consoles could leave them off for performance reasons.

10. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

You're missing the point. Passenger numbers are a visual feature. It might have impacts on perceived gameplay, but ultimately it’s a visual feature. Adding or not adding entire service patterns is a gameplay feature. People on last gen who paid the same for the game are missing out on additional gameplay provided compared to those who have next gen hardware. To my knowledge, both Sony and Microsoft do not allow this since it could be perceived as false advertisement if a developer promoted a game with x feature only to find out that x feature is only present if you own next gen.

11. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Except in the particular instance of HMA, it’s a bug as opposed to an additional feature.

Like I say, it’s a grey area when it comes to TSW, since most aspects of it can be considered gameplay due to the nature of the game, but I’m sure DTG know what they can and cannot do, and will let us know what the case is in due course.