Controversal Game Opinions.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheCadManFan, May 2, 2021.

1. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Anyone have any? I have one to start with:

The Resident Evil 3 remake, which released a little over a year ago, didn't deserve the cold reception which it received. While I have played the original RE3 on the Playstation way back in the day, I haven't played it since, but i'm aware that Capcom lopped out chunks of the game out like the Clock Tower. It didn't help that the main dev team were working on the multiplayer game, Resistance, while a less experienced team were tasked with working on the main game.
    With all this in mind, I do like this game, I have played it from start to finish (which I admit, isn't as long as it should be) twice, and am on my third playthrough. The gameplay is top notch, as are the graphics. And I can't not mention this depiction of Jill, very post-reboot Lara Croft (not a bad thing) Jill. This is a very grounded take on Jill, even suffering from PTSD following the mansion incident. It's a big shame that we probably won't see this Jill again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

I've seen the first 10 mins of the first film. Its a pile, like most low budget Horror stuff. CRAP!!!

3. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

I did enjoy the RE3 remake more than RE2's. I don't mind that it's short. The only negative was the terrible voice audio quality, so muffled.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I loved the RE2 and RE3 remakes. Always been an RE fan. It was disappointing part of RE3 was removed, but for me, it didn’t detract from the overall experience.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

The first one is probably the best of all of them too....I didn't mind 1/2/3, but they really went downhill (relatively speaking) after that. I can barely remember any plot points from the last 3 they are that unmemorable (apart from at least one of them had some clones of characters who had been killed off in the first movie)

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheCadManFan

Once you get past the fact that for the most part, they aren't trying to follow the games, they are enjoyable action/horror hybrids. Though I wish they did follow the games, they at least got Jill right in both films.

I haven't played the RE2 remake yet, it's probably about time that I did. Re-playing through the series in chronological order (the games available on the PS4), RE2 should be next.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Here's my controversial game opinion: Saints Row is more enjoyable than GTA.

I know people will be trying to identify my location and get me killed because I said that, but here's my reasoning:

The GTA games are amazing. They are innovative, first and foremost, but more importantly they set the standard (well, used to) for video games, because of their storytelling, game mechanics and detail. But the problem I have with them is the stories. The storytelling it great, I won't deny it, but I can never get into the story and actually care about the characters. I have no love for the protagonists, I have no hatred of the villains, and I have no interest in the rest of them. GTA 4 is considered to have one of the best stories in a video game, but when I played it, I genuinely couldn't care less. I've played GTA 5 twice, and I still have no interest in its story. I struggle to get a connection with GTA protagonists, and that's an issue. I am aware that all of the games are in one big universe (or three, depending on who you ask), but the games are all separate and have little effect on each other. The events of GTA 4, in the end, are pointless, as GTA 5 isn't impacted in any way by it. It'll be the same with GTA 6.

It's a bit like Bond films. Sure, we all want Bond to win and hate the villains, but as for the Bond girls? They don't matter, because they'll be gone by the next film.

Saints Row is an objectively worse series. The stories are worse, the worlds are less details (bar Saints Row 2), and the game mechanics are less polished. But the reason why I prefer Saints Row over GTA is for one very simple reason: I like the Saints. Something that Saints Row has somehow managed to do is make me genuinely like the characters and the stories they go in, even if they go down uncanny valley. The events of previous games have consequences, like with the boat explosion in SR1. When one of the main characters die, I feel much sadder than I do when one dies in GTA, because with GTA, it doesn't matter. GTA has better games by far, but Saints Row has a far better 'universe'.

8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m looking forward to the new film
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_Welcome_to_Raccoon_City?wprov=sfti1

9. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Dude Saints Row is a awesome series of games and yes they might not be the most technical and graphical powerhouses in game design but the sheer insanity of it just beautifully perfect, i just wish more games developers would just let their inner 5 year old loose and not be forever trying to chase the in vogue style of the moment, and let many more potentially controversial games opinions be born with their crazy ideas..........

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheCadManFan

11. Doomotron

In a way I think the first two games were a bit of a liability for the series. They're both very good games (and pioneered a lot of features that have only recently been added to GTA), but they had a much more serious tone compared to the last three. My favourite game of the series is Saints Row The Third, which was a downgrade in a lot of ways (map, graphics, customisation), was a beautiful combination of an enjoyable story, fun gameplay and a healthy dose of silliness. Saints Row 4 was a downgrade in story and was quite lazy, but it felt like a natural end for the series and in a way was 'fan service', clearing up a lot of things from the past games, like Benjamin King joining the Saints and Shaundi coming to terms with her past self (that was a great mission and possibly my favourite mission in the series). Saints Row Gat Out Of Hell was a standalone expansion, but I thought that the Shawarma cutscene was a lovely hidden ending, and the other endings (the ones you chose yourself) were great setups for a future Saints Row* game**.

*I believe that Saints Row 5 (which is in development) will probably use the good ending of Saints Row 4 (time travel) as a starting point.
    **Agents Of Mayhem actually was based on the regenerate the universe ending of Gat Out Of Hell.

12. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

Banjo kazooie nuts and bolts is one of my favourite games

13. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

Maybe not so controversial but the Geoff Crammond series of F1 games/sims have still yet to be bettered....

multiplayer with a rolling hot seat was fantastic back in the day.... Or you could use the hot seat to control a team with strategy....

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I love both GTA and Saints Row, but they have gone off in very different directions. Starting from a relatively similar attitude, SR1 and 2 and the GTA III/San Andreas/Vice City era, Rockstar turned quite serious, almost too serious in GTA IV and Lost and Damned, whereas SR decided to embrace the crazy and get ever more ludicrously fun. That's probably why my favorite is SR IV together with its Enter the Dominatrix DLC, because it's so totally over the top.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheCadManFan

Between Saints Row, and GTA, I would go with GTA. That said, I lost interest in the GTA series with GTA 5. I played it a little, just wasn't feeling it anymore. Though it might be dated now, GTA 3 is still my favourite. It feels like a videogame adaption of The Hunter / Point Blank / Payback.

Keep the suggestions coming, this is really interesting to read.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Doomotron

GTA5 was a downgrade in the series; there is a thread on GTAForums that talks about it in great detail - it's a good read. The Enhanced Edition was also considered a downgrade over the original 360/PS3 release, and in some ways I agree. The current version feels a bit... empty. My favourite GTA game is The Ballad Of Gay Tony, but I still struggle to get 'into' the games. They're fun, but the stories aren't that interesting for me.

17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's an interesting viewpoint- I found GTAV to be a return to form (presaged by Gay Tony), after the excessively grim GTA IV and Lost and Damned. GTA has to be cartoonish to a certain level, because it's impossible to square the over-the-top mayhem with "realism." In that regard Trevor was an utterly brilliant invention- because he is the avatar of the typical player, the rampaging psycho who just wants to kill people and blow stuff up (but then they went beyond that, to make Trevor a marvelous headcase, the narcissistic, self-justifying sociopathic underachiever with grandiose delusions and mommy issues). I find all three of V's protagonists to be more compelling than dour Nico or unrepentant thug Luis.

18. Doomotron

A common complaint with GTA5 is that having three main characters meant the story of each character is less fleshed out. Franklin has very little time allocated to him, and the only time he is the main focus is at the start of the game. Michael, who has by far the biggest role in the story, is only introduced a few missions in, and most things after that are based around him. I did like how Trevor was introduced, locking us out of Franklin and Michael, forcing us to play as Trevor and get to know him. Because of this, he was probably the character I 'connected' the most with, and it helped that he arguably had the more interesting personal story.