Press Br 218 For Hamburg - Lübeck [latest Update: 10.12.2021]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lamplight, May 9, 2021.

1. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Hey there,

I recently posted a suggestion for a Press Br 140. In that thread, you can find my explanation as to why I'm suggesting PRESS rolling stock.

Yesterday, I learned something fascinating in a German railroading magazine. Since March 2021, I believe, an IC runs between Hamburg and Fehmarn. Since the track to Fehmarn isn't electrified, DB is renting PRESS Br 218s to run the ICs.
    1.jpg
    This would be a lovely opportunity for getting 218s in TSW. PRESS Br 218s could also substitute in for freight services. Let's talk a bit about the 218.

History
    The Br 218 was the last developed member of the V160 family. The V160 family was designed as more powerful diesel engines were becoming feasible in the 1950s. The famous V200 was the first German mainline diesel loco - it used two diesel engines. The V160 had more power than a V200 while only needing one engine. As such, the V160s were the next mainline diesels for the Bundesbahn. The V160 was designed to be a jack of all trades. It can handle freight services just as well as passenger trains. Should the need arrive to pull very heavy trains, they can be double-headed. Even to this day, Br 218s are still in service with DB.

Technical features
    Wheel arrangement: B'B'
    Power: 2060/1986kW depending on the loco, different diesel engines were used
    Transmission: hydraulic
    Tractive effort: 235kN in slow gear
    Top speed: 140/160km/h depending on the loco

Note for the differing stats: As far as I'm aware, Press has both variants in the categories where the stats differ.

Why this loco?
    My reasons for suggesting this are pretty much the same as for the PRESS 140. The Br 218 is a classic on German rails and more private rail companies would make German rails feel more prototypical. The Br 218 would also be the first (or second depending on how TSG's Br 232 is coming along) German mainline diesel.

Pictures
    Where no picture source has been credited, the source is:
    https://www.sweetagram.com/tag/218054

Führerstand_BR218.jpg

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Führerstand_BR218.jpg

2.jpg

image.jpg
    https://www.hobbyreichsbahner.de/baureihenarchiv/dieselloks/br-218-v164-db/

Notes
    I'm not entirely sure about the date for the PRESS Br 218 ICs. I found conflicting information online. If anyone could elaborate on that, I'd be most grateful. I also want to note that I'm aware that Maik Goltz of TSG has already said that his team will most likely tackle a Br 218 for Hamburg - Lübeck. Nevertheless, when I saw this in a railroading magazine, I just couldn't resist suggesting this as I've already suggested another piece of PRESS rolling stock a few days ago. Both locos would make a PRESS license more worthwhile for DTG.

And finally, thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion,

Cheers

Edit (10.12.2021)
    In the recent Arosa preview stream, Matt confirmed that DTG already have a PRESS license. One less hurdle to overcome.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  2. StratoCruizer

StratoCruizer New Member

i mean, any 218 ill take, press or not. thing is it would be nice to see it on more routes ;)

3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

At least for freight, I don‘t see why the PRESS 218 couldn‘t substitute for most German routes. Passenger runs are a different matter though if we want to keep things realistic.

4. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The 218 runs IC Services from Deutsche Bahn to Sylt or Westerland from Hamburg Altona. D36AD0EE-D504-4E48-A424-312E0C1AD72B.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  5. rhyttik

rhyttik Active Member

don't forget IC3's and ICE TD

6. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

No the ICE TD is done since many years and is destroyed most of them.

7. LodeStar

LodeStar Active Member

Classic German diesel, it ran in the past to the Netherlands as well. Nijmegen - Kleef (Kleve) for example! Would love to see this one too! Lot's of opportunities with this engine on basically every German layout. Same as the famous V200 indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member