Realistic Train Door System (for Rush Hour)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Br425, May 7, 2021.

1. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

So we all know the door system on TSW 2: You press a button in the drivers cab and every passenger door on the train opens.

On the London Underground that is realistic - but on most other routes, especially German ones, the system is different:

The driver merely unlocks the doors by pressing the button, they do not open automatically. Only if a passenger pushes the button on the door itself it will open. And the door will close a few moments after nobody has passed through it automatically, instead of the driver closing every door at the same time.

I do understand that this feature would not make much sense in the game now as there are so few passengers. Not many doors would open at all. But I really think it would be awesome to have in the upcoming Rush Hour pack. It would just add so much more realism to the game!

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 46
  2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I would love SDO in TSW2

• Like Like x 6
  3. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

What does SDO mean?

4. Coastway trainspotter

Selective door opening . It means that only doors which fit in the platform can be opened , and passengers choose to open a certain set of doors , instead of all the doors releasing

5. Renfe cercanias

Renfe cercanias Active Member

And how funny is it that the doors close by themselves? If they put this system, they put the possibility of removing it in the options ... because there are people who like to operate the doors themselves ... not that a machine closes them

6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The conductors open the doors on US trains. The engineer has no control of them.

• Like Like x 3
  7. F-Block

F-Block Well-Known Member

Funfact: on the BR 423, if the player opens a single door manually, the door closes after a while if the player isn't near the door anymore. So we already have a detection system and a timer. Now the detection system only needs to be able to detect passengers and it to be random which doors the passengers use based on how busy it is at the moment

• Like Like x 4
  8. Coastway trainspotter

Good idea . I believe this door function is the same on the 377 in real life

9. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

That's not working. The 423s doors do not detect the player or passengers but only the players main camera (if it is near by). A real detection system is not really possible yet in terms of overall performance and other problems with it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  10. anas.hera

anas.hera Active Member

What problems would a detection system cause?

11. Coastway trainspotter

Might cause interference between passengers and the doors

12. F-Block

F-Block Well-Known Member

Looping over many objects is how level crossings worked on Rapid Transit before they were removed and it didn't do too well performance wise and TSW seemling can't handle a detection system for passengers on such a busy route as HMA as well I guess.

13. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Thats sad. So if they implemented the new door system, it would probably just have to be a timer which closes the doors. Maybe there is another possible method...

14. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

that is a very cool feature as well. Looks a bit weird with all the doors open when you overshoot at a platform :)

15. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

I'm interested to hear what the idea behind the IRL system described in the OP is, as opposed to the conventional one.

16. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I agree, SDO is needed, especially on the electrostars and combined with a guard would be amazing

17. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I really hope a more realistic implementation of the door release process for German trains comes with the rush-hour update, it would add so much to immersion and realism!

• Like Like x 3
  18. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

Tbh, i know a better option, doors open randomly and they open and close at random times so it looks more realistic and it isnt that hard to implement

19. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Well it would be easier to implement, but when there are many passengers, the doors might close while the passengers are still leaving/ entering the train because it calculates the time randomly. Would not be that great...

• Like Like x 1
  20. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

Will there be any new trains to Rush Hour on Dresden Riesa? Because only the Br442, br146.2 would be boring

21. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

It will come with the DB BR 442, DB BR 146.2, DB BR 143, Dostos and the MRCE BR 185.5 I believe. Other trains like the DB BR 101 will be layered onto the route. But there will not be any completely new trains to the game...

22. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

That's sad

23. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

A guard would be really cool! It would also perfectly fit to Rush Hour as DTG is making more different looking people, so a guard would be a great idea. The only problem is that they would need to implement a special behaviour for the guard only...

• Like Like x 2
  24. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

but then we get phantom doors when there’s no passengers nearby. And we would probably complain about it haha

• Like Like x 1
  25. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, people complain about everything in this game...

26. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I imagine there's advantages to having doors closed as much as they can be, firstly to manage the temperature inside the train, secondly because it's easier for the conductor to pay attention to less doors when safely closing/locking them.

The system OP describes isn't unique to Germany. I know in the Netherlands the system is identical. Although a decade ago most trains didn't have doors that automatically closed after being unused for a specific amount of seconds, even on those older trains the train driver would only unlock the doors, and passengers would open the doors either from the inside or from the outside. Those doors would then remain open until the conductor would start the departing procedure which would simoultanously close all doors and lock them.

Unfortunately I can't easily find any video footage of this procedure, as most youtube videos removed the boarding/unboarding part. The best thing I could find was the video below, which still isn't ideal, but shows for a split second that only the doors which are being used are opened. The rest of the doors are unlocked, but remain closed until a passenger opens it. Showing a video with an older train on purpose, to show that this procedure has been in use in my country for a few decades.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

My guess is that every single passenger would need to be given a script that broadcasts their presence to the doors, and every single door would need a script listening out for passengers that are broadcasting within a certain radius of them. The scripts would be on all of the time - and there could potentially be hundreds of them.

That said - you could possibly find other smarter solutions (only some doors open first, and only some passengers are clever enough to find them....), but they would probably have to be programmed in bespokely - which isn't a big problem, but could be time consuming.

But most importantly - other areas are probably considered to be higher priority, when it comes to soaking up performance (like PIS, layers of AI, framerate....).....

• Like Like x 1
  28. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I personally think that the new passenger system + the realstic door system would make a huge difference in realism and fun. But you´re right, if the framerate drops due to that, we´ll all be unhappy again...

• Like Like x 1
  29. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I agree with you - it would be fun to have more passenger interactivity like this. I am absolutely not dismissing the idea - I think it is a good one. And people that want things like this should make some noise about the things they want, so that DTG get an idea of what people would like. You then get a huge long list of things to implement (many of which are features in TS2012 that people miss).... and then DTG have to make a decision on what goes in first.

A long time ago, I asked for a very simple addition - a passenger sitting at a station, reading a newspaper - a two minute job to create a pose in Poser, and very low performance hit (assuming physics is off). And then very recently I caught myself smiling because they had done it (without the newspaper) - alhough I can't currently remember which route it was on - but the next time I see it, it will make me smile.... ;-)

For me, this thread is useful, because it has reminded me that I should request a change to a different related feature that really breaks immersion for me. I find it really quite disruptive to find that the splt second you close the doors at a passenger stop that an end of platform signal then switches from red to green, as if I am changing the light myself..... This could be made more realistic - say, if a platform dispatcher blows a whistle first (say on WSR), and there is, say, a two second pause before the signal changes (or, even better, a randomly timed short pause). I find the current door/signal interaction most annoying on routes like the Bakerloo Line - here I would like to see the red signal respond to you (if this is actually needed....) a random short time after you open the doors.... (unless there is traffic ahead of you, genuinely making the signal red).

But all that said - I would say this - have a think about what TSW looked like when it first released..... And now consider all of the incremental changes that have gone in, with new stuff being retro-fitted. DTG have (generally speaking, but with a few mis-steps) done an awesome job to bring TSW to where it is now - they are working on all of it, all of the time...

...........but it can sometimes be difficult to see the massive overall change that has happened, when viewed from one day to the next.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree, I feel like there is too much hate for what they are constantly improving. I mean everyone can still decide if they want to play it and if they dont like it, they shall just not buy it...

• Like Like x 1
  31. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

The system is also present on the new 720’s and 745’s/755’s

32. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

The door system is actually used in most countries in the world. There are some exceptions, for example on the London Underground where every door opens and closes just as modeled in TSW 2. And on the ICE and IC trains in Germany, the doors open by a passenger pressing a button, but stay open and only close when the train conductor closes every door to depart.