Workshop Wednesday Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Oct 1, 2020.

1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Jamie, it would be useful if on top of the scenario, could you please inform viewers of the route you are driving and where it can be found, i.e. workshop or steam, together with where you are driving from and to. This would save the multitude of questions on the stream

2. davidjamesgoodfellow

davidjamesgoodfellow Member

Hi Jamie please can you do a GWR route from Exmouth to Paignton via Exeter st davids on the river era and a SWR route on the London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour please

3. 34067Tangmere

34067Tangmere New Member

Heathfield Steam Railway by myself 34067Tangmere

4. deedee3382

deedee3382 Member

I have released the second route I have made on the steam workshop. It would be lovely to see it featured and hear people's thoughts & feedback.

Name of route: Crab & Winkle line (Canterbury Whitstable railway)
    Author: DeeDeeNaNaNa (me)
    Steam Workshop URL: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2432141523
    Link to project development thread: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/crab-winkle-line-canterbury-whitstable-railway.32210/
    Approx Length: 6 mile route length.
    Why I think you should play it on RFTV: It is a very picturesque and historically important branch line set in the north Kent countryside. The route takes you back in time to around 1940 and is modeled hopefully fairly accurately. It links the cathedral City of Canterbury to the busy harbour at Whitstable. The route has busy yards at each end and you will encounter some very challenging gradients along its length with the steepest being 1:31. Another reason to feature this might be because it’s new and no one has seen it yet, apart from a few screenshots in the development thread on these forums. I have created a test scenario for the route which I have detailed below.

Name of scenario: Mixed evening service.
    Author: DeeDeeNaNaNa (me)
    Steam Workshop URL: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2456283935
    Approx Length: 65 minutes.
    Why I think you should play it on RFTV: The scenario starts in the late evening in Canterbury West, taking a 2f with a 2 coach passenger service to Whitstable, allowing you to take in all the scenery along the route. Once at the harbour with the sun setting over the sea, you’ll collect some wagons to add to the service. The return trip will be much more challenging taking this heavier train up the 1:31 gradient to the top of the hill at Clowes wood. It’s then a short descent into Canterbury and as the light fades we make our last stop before putting the engine to bed for the night.
    The scenario has been tested a lot to try and iron out any bugs or issues and shows the route in full. There are plenty of Ai services to keep you interested along the way. The 2f dock tank used is the standard version allowing control using the F4 hud.

Thanks for reading and I hope you consider this a candidate worth looking at on the stream. Sorry for the long post but I tried to include as much detail as possible to help with your decision. Please feel free to PM me with any questions and I’ll do my best to help out where I can.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  5. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thank you deedee 3382 look forward to seeing your good work.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Artful

Artful Member

Would anyone have the steam workshop link for the pump car scenario they featured tonight please? I have located the milk float one.

Many thanks
    Rob aka Artful

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

It's actually free on Steam if it's the one I think you're referring to.

Or wait, you probably know that and want the scenario. Jamie will eventually update the thread with that information.

8. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

9. Cyclone

Personally, I've had the idea kicking around in my head to have a train waiting at a signal for a pump car to get out of the way - a worker who had to fix part of the track ahead and clears himself into a siding to stop, you can go, and he presumably goes to have a coffee (or, as we know, stands there for eternity not moving).

10. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Jamie. Any news on tonight’s stream?

11. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

Well, here is a real hidden gem of a route I discovered. I feel it really needs more people to see it, so I thought I would post here.

Name of route/scenario: IDC route map Lenton-On-Sea Branch Line 1960s
    (The route has not yet been made final and therefore there are no scenarios. I made a couple myself before realising this, and so will upload one to workshop if anything develops soon. If not, I'm sure Jamie will be able to make a quick one like the other week :) Also if so, I recommend the line between Lenton-On-Sea, Prestwich and Pope Street with some really lovely scenery)
    Steam workshop URL: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=781311393
    Approx length: no scenarios, but I think the route itself with all branch lines included is at least 70 miles.
    Why I think you should play it on RFTV: It's such a wonderful route with incredible scenic details throughout the considerable length of the route, and I really feel it ought to be given more publicity. Also, it fits the numerous SR steam locos that are available on steam really well, which is great because there is few others places to do so without third party content (which personally I don't use).
    Have fun driving it!

• Like Like x 1
  12. decrepitts#7027

decrepitts#7027 Well-Known Member

I'll second Lenton-on-Sea. It's a gem of a route for sure. Quite scenically pleasing. Several decently long railway paths to follow. For a short route, suitable for smaller, less powerful locos, Canal Line is also worth a look. It has the virtue of needing very few payware requirements. Riviera in the Fifties and three dirt-cheap Scenery Packs are the extent of it, as I recall. Like LoS, it has no scenarios, unless I overlooked something.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  13. brfan#9132

brfan#9132 Active Member

Can you try and find any workshop routes on West Somerset Railway with any loco

14. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie. What routes will you be showing this Wednesday 28th?

15. trainbraint

The flow of suggestions seems to have dried up a little, so here are a few of my own favourites:
    Name: SFR Mainline by djespy
    Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=830649296
    Length: The route itself is 105 miles long! There are 10 scenarios of varying lengths.
    Why I think you should play it: It is a wonderfully detailed route for the entire extent of the length, and the scenarios are all full of AI.
    I will post a couple more suggestions later on.

16. trainbraint

Two more of my favourites:
    Name: Penistone Line (Version 2 - important that version 2 is used because it is highly updated from the original) by Fearntree
    Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=599959117
    Length: About 30 - 40 miles, I think.
    Why you should play it: It is a brilliant representation of the real railway from Sheffield to Huddersfield via Silkstone Common, Penistone and Dodworth - good amount of detail, although not the most detailed I've ever seen (I say that - it does have a lot of nice details, I've just seen others which are more), hats off to the author for creating a fairly accurate route when compared to real life. I think Matt ran the original version on Train Sim Live (and Knebworthed Meadowhall if I remember rightly - Jamie - don't let him forget this!) a few years back, but since then a highly updated version 2 has been released. It works well with a Northern 158, or the brilliant Oovee 156 or 150, or even a provincial/regional railways 142/143! Do you take loco requests? If so, I'm sure everyone would love to see a pacer, and I think perhaps a 156+pacer consist would work quite well.

Name: Penryn Bay Steam Railway (Version 2 - again important that Version 2 is used) by Davvydo_amer
    Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=586186780
    Length: 5 - 10 miles or so - a return journey calling at all stations should take about 40-50 minutes.
    Why it should be featured: It's a lovely little steam railway running along the coast with some great coastal scenery, multiple stations and lots of nice little touches such as a BR station at one end. It fits a 14xx or pannier with an autocoach very well, but really any small - medium loco with a short-ish consist works. There are even some 35mph sections so you can have a nice thrash with some smaller locos.

I hope these suggestions will be considered - I'm going to stop posting in this thread for a while now, in case this could be considered spamming - I hope not!

17. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

A class 158 on Exeter to Paignton

18. Cyclone

Only one problem: it's a WIP and there are no scenarios for it. In other words, they'll have to make a scenario or just settle for a quick drive. Otherwise, sure, I'd be curious to see Jamie drive a steam engine after wrecking one a few weeks ago. :cool:

19. trainbraint

Yes, although I think that would be fine, many routes that haven't yet been made final have been featured before. I agree, it would be nice to see another steamer, hopefully it won't get wrecked this time!

20. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

21. Cyclone

22. davidjamesgoodfellow

davidjamesgoodfellow Member

Hi Jamie workshop Wednesday please can you do a service in the 166 on great Western Railway on the rivera line from Paignton to exmouth please because you can change ends when you get to exeter st davids for exmouth

23. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

I don't know.

24. Cyclone

The line to Exmouth runs to the east of the Paignton line, somewhat along a similar arc once taken, heading south towards this terminus. I am not aware of its representation in the official Train Simulator DLC, or even on other payware. The representation I'm aware of is through the Railways of Devon and Cornwall, now merged into the BHBP route which goes north to Reading and west to Penzance and requires Western Mainlines to operate, meaning this is not Steam-compatible. This is not, I believe, Workshop compatible and not likely to be picked up.

That said, I would LIKE to see them run this route. It's just not fitting into the Workshop Wednesday theme. If Western Mainlines ever gets imported to Steam, it MIGHT be possible, but I think that version would result in no ability to merge with the extensions, including the Cornish Main Line which remains independent on Steam. This would then require the route be uploaded to the Workshop before it can be acquired and played for this project. Some scenery would need to be replaced or omitted including the VP Grass Pack (unless they just quietly install the little bit of extra scenery and note their inclusion).

As a side note, the site map is mainly to demonstrate the services and is not an accurate representation of the directions of travel or the time taken. It is merely a mockup showing the connections and major stations.

EDIT: I'm adding a map below this passage, and this link you can open and explore further yourself. There are four lines of note here:
    • The blue line to the left running south is the Riviera in the 50s; the modern Riviera Line DLC follows the same path, as does the South Devon Main Line, which branches off beyond the Newton Abbot area (off the map).
    • The green line north of Exeter is Western Mainlines proper, which has a connection through one version of the South Devon Main Line and also the Cornish Main Line to Penzance, but on this map goes north and exits well before London Paddington or Bristol (Cardiff) is reached; observant folk may also notice a red line going northwest briefly, which goes to Barnstaple and is also within BHBP from the DPSimulation extension, but it's not of interest to this discussion
    • The yellow line is our branch to Exmouth, which I noted is The Railways of Devon and Cornwall, version 11; it also runs to Honiton
    • The line beyond Honiton, now a sort of dark blue, goes to Axminster and is the current terminus of the BHBP route that the yellow line is merged into; the Umap does not make clear the route, but I just gave you the link to it above
    exmouth.png

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  25. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

That would be really good, Jamie.

What will you and Matt be doing on the 12th?

26. Cyclone

I think Natalie is joining Jamie, according to the weekly post earlier today.

27. trainbraint

I don’t think Jamie would say before the actual stream. If you look through some of the more recent suggestions on the thread, chances are it might be one of them.

28. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Perhaps a bit late but I do recall Jamie saying he'd like to do an 86/87 on the next stream, so made this over the weekend (uploaded today, mainly because I forgot): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2484966242
    Tis a Class 86 hauling freight over the North London Line, with a lot of yellows. Takes about an hour.

29. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I appreciate Jamie doesn’t know that much in advance what he is planning, but will have made a decision by the day of viewing so he can plan the stream. So there is no reason why he cannot post the links in the Stream minutes before the programme to help viewers find the content. Please Jamie do so here.

30. Cyclone

If he only decides five minutes before the stream it's kind of hard to do that. But I do agree in principle, having the links to the Workshop items being played as a matter of practice should at least be possible in the chat bot. I also feel it's appropriate to follow up after the stream, when the business of the day is ended, not five weeks later. Just my opinion, mind.

I say this having been a chat moderator in various channels, as well. It's easy for a chat mod to program the bot if he knows what is being played. Takes 30 seconds. Less if you already have the link.

31. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

32. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I agree it is a shame that this thread is not updated. If they are streaming something there should be a link for those of us who might want to obtain what is being shown to us. I am certain the developers would want this, so I cannot understand why Jamie is so secretive of what he is showing to us. Please Jamie get your act together a bit better in future please.

33. trainbraint

Well, I’ve a bit of free time so I thought I’d put this together:
    Wednesday 12th:
    - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1524090665 - Kiha 130 on the Forest Rail Route (I think that’s the right scenario, I don’t think Jamie mentioned it)
    - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2038610143 - Dartmouth Steam Railway
    Wednesday 5th:
    - I couldn’t find the scenario for the MML, based on the presence of EU loco and asset stock such as the 166 it seems a 45 has been swapped into one of the default scenarios, although I could be wrong.
    - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1191224193 - again, Jamie didn’t mention the scenario I don’t think but I think this is the one.
    Wednesday 28th:
    - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=961974739 - 37 on the Wherry Lines
    - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2096061961 - Diamond River Lumber Route, fictional route by Trolley Fodder

34. Cyclone

DTG Jamie Can you please fill in the gaps and post an official update? And perhaps update weekly right after the stream so we can try the scenarios ourselves immediately? It's not really meeting the purpose of a "Workshop" themed showcase if you can't keep the thread updated, and since I would assume you should already know the items you're playing, spending two minutes updating the thread is something that should be easy to do. I think it's fair to say users expect you to keep it updated.

And to be clear, I'm not being negative. Obviously you could cancel this type of showcase. We appreciate seeing some Workshop content. We just want to know what it is the day you're showing it. Even if Matt has to program the bot and post the thread updates during the stream.

• Like Like x 1
  35. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Any pre stream news tonight Jamie?

A link please would save the multitude of requests on the steam tonight.

36. rjhi2

rjhi2 New Member

Well, I'm new here to TS (tho did a stint with MSTS in the noughties) and will plug a set of scenarios exclusive to the London-Brighton route, all set in the 1970's and resplendent(?) in BR-Blue. I use a minimum of DLC's and I wanted to see what could be achieved with the minimum. The BRB Diesel-Electic pack is a bargain in terms of functionality (2 locos + 09, 2 emu's) and a lot can be done just with that. All scenarios require the BRB Diesel-Electric pack and a few also need the EU Loco+Asset pack (kuju), when I need a 47 or Mk 1's. Haulage is mainly class 33 with a couple using the 47 (still working on EMU's).

As I say, they're all set in the 1970's during the BR-Blue era and I'm quite impressed with the atmospherics achieved and what can be done for such a minimal outlay (I'm a cheapskate as well as shameless), and with simple DLC requirements. Anyway, I've been getting good feedback so far and don't think you'll be wasting your time.

So, for a blast into the Central Division past, please take a look....

This is a link to my Steam Workshop page (ONLY contains these BR-Blue scenarios - that's all I've done)

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198447448423/myworkshopfiles/

Thx.

37. Cyclone

Looks like no update from Jamie.

Always good to have new content creators in the community!

38. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Hi Cyclone, thank you for the feedback, yes will update the thread today and keep it more up to date, also during the stream the links to scenarios will be in the streams. Hope this helps.

39. Cyclone

Excellent. I think that will satisfy the concerns of people posting here.

40. trainbraint

This is a beautiful branch line I found.
    Name: St Wilkes Branch Line V2 by jamesvoyce147.
    Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1965134030
    Length: about 15 mins for an end-to-end run.
    Why you should show it: it has some wonderful coastal scenery, and for a short line has a lot of character. Also, perfect for a pacer!
    I realise that most showcases on the workshop Wednesday streams are 45 mins - 1 hour long so this wouldn’t be very suitable, so I thought instead of one long scenario, how about a few different shorter scenarios, to show things like routes that wouldn’t otherwise be seen. Here are a couple of others I thought would fill the gap.
    Name: Dalton Mine Shaft #3 by Fleegle475
    Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1920468999
    Length: it’s less of an end-to-end affair, more of a free roam, so it depends on how long you choose to spend on it.
    Why you should show it: in the immortal words of John Cleese, “and now for something completely different.” It is really unique and the sort of thing I have never seen before in TS. The idea is a railway at a mine, that travels down a network of lines in a mine shaft. It’s also a narrow gauge route, and gives you a good excuse to use Corris No 9. Although it may be a bit difficult to see in places, I think the headlight should give some visibility.
    Name: London Transport Heritage Route + tram (fictional) by Danny (+ scenario for the route)
    Link: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=920395399
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2270544870
    Length: (scenario) 15-20 minutes.
    Why you should show it: Trams are a rare thing in TS, and this utilises the one included with Black Forest Journeys very well. The route adds a tram line up the pier and along the seafront in Vindelis on the LTHR, which is how it was with the original phorum route (which the LTHR is an updated version of). There is very nice detailed scenery around the tram route, and who doesn’t love driving by the sea?
    Anyway, that’s me done for now, I would imagine people are getting quite bored of all my suggestions.

41. Cyclone

This is by one of their employees. While this would not be a reason to not cover it, I also note that this is basically the old UKTS Phorum Peninsula "Project Phorum" route from 2010, a fictional line redone with a branch line from what I've been told, and the line was updated and added here just to give a place for the new trains (none included with the original Phorum, which had a bevy of Steam engines back then) to have scenarios to run. That might very well be a reason to bring it along for a run. I mean, it promotes a route that might not get much attention. However, there may be better options out there. We'll see what is decided here.

42. trainbraint

I considered that... I suggested it anyway because it’s a nice run. And, consider, I’m pretty sure the milk float scenario they ran the other week was by the very same Danny. I agree, the LTHR is a nice route and under-appreciated in my opinion, somewhat overshadowed by the poor quality of the stock that comes with it. This is a nice scenario series I have been enjoying recently: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2442570502

43. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

I agree with this - I don't think anything by me counts as "community made", so shouldn't be shown (even though all of my own workshop stuff is done in my own time, I don't think anything that I've done should be shown really, as opposed to the better stuff by the fantastic community (I think the Milk float was a one-off because of what it was :) )

I suggest probably best not to suggest anything that I've made though (as mentioned above - it's not seen as made by the community so doesn't really fit into Workshop Wednesdays and I'm not seen as part of the train sim community :) )

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  44. trainbraint

Shame though - I must say it is a nice little journey and the links are there for anyone who wants to have a look at it - and while you’re here Danny can I say thank you for making it!

45. steve.cunningham1980

steve.cunningham1980 Member

On the contrary, anything you decide to create and release outside of official Dovetail products absolutely does count as community content, and you certainly ARE seen by many of us as being part of the community :)

• Like Like x 1
  46. trainbraint

I’ll second that - in my opinion if it’s done in your spare time and not part of your work, even if it is the same sort of thing you do in your work - we see you as a member of the community as well

(Edit: but I also understand that the logistics of the thing might make it difficult, perhaps it is best to leave it for now)

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  47. Cyclone

Ah, Railfan. He's one of the greats in the Workshop. I'm looking at a Windermere series he put out recently mainly because the maker of that branch, Nick Hudson, passed and I think doing a video series there would be fitting to show off one of his early works. Need to visit his other routes too. Wish I could see the full North Wales Coastal one, though.

In fact, if you want a suggestion, here you go. That is the first of a, so far, 20 part series published throughout the month of May called "WCML Through the Ages Volume 2-1980 to 1989". Roughly a new scenario almost every day on average. Of note, this scenario requires the Windermere extension by Nick Hudson. If you do this, it may be worth getting information and talking about his projects over the years, some of which are at wotawollysbits and include South Lancashire and North Cheshire, North Wales Coast with the Conwy Valley Line from BackdatedTrainSim (actually installs onto North Wales Coatal, and a prime reason we need it back), and a BR Blue period version of Liverpool to Manchester Piccadilly via Warrington Central (that's also in the Workshop).

Here's another: drive a Class 37 on a foggy spring day. This is for the Wherry Lines. Part of a 12 scenario collection.

So choose between those and his LTHC sets. From the last, try out Triple Header. A tour of the island, which I imagine crosses the entire DLC, using a Victoryworks Pannier Tank and the Peppercorn K1. I chose this because most in that set are in the 20-25 minute range while this is more around 35-40 minutes, so you can choose two shorter ones if you prefer or show off the K1.

Lots of options. I'm actually going to be looking to him for advice when I try to make my own scenarios - and I have a doozy picked out for Western Mainlines, but will be making a smaller version for either SWC (have to try to cover both versions) or the Riviera. I've meanwhile given you ideas to showcase work of two people at once via a Windermere branch scenario, or to show off some nice steam engines on LTHC, or do a Wherry Lines scenario and give Richard Armstrong a shoutout..

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  48. Cyclone

Late addition. I didn't have it up when posting suggestions from Railfan's collection, but this great remake of Falmouth Branch recently got added. Has already received numerous points rewards from users, including "Mad Scientist", "Gotta Have It", "Extra Helpful", "Super Star", "Golden Unicorn", and - as of this post - three instances of "Take My Points", awards from users of 1,600 of their Steam Points. With so many rewards being given by users within two days, I suggest this is worth a look. Riviera in the 50s was used to give the route a facelift and bring it up to current standards, and I believe he even added a village omitted in the original. Developer is TobBirk.

Route was quickly marked final with all the upvotes, and four scenarios exist for driving along the route to date. First, this Pannier Tank trip. Second choice: a trip in a Class 101. The other two are a part 1 and part 2 setup with freight, so I'll link part 1 with a Small Prairies Loco. For those wanting to try part 2, it's here. Scenarios range from 30-40 minutes, so if you want to do both parts of the two parter, that can clear the first hour alone. Up to you what you want to do here, the main idea is to show off the updated route. :)

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  49. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

In my case I did the update for the London Transport Route from the Phorum route (most of the NSE assets came from my own fictional route that I've rebuild a dozen times, and still updating :D ), I just wanted to include the tram route that was taken out for some reason. (I think the route could have been better - but could only use the assets that i had - the NSE part, I chose that because the route was based on a fictional Island near Weymouth - if anyone was curious )

Thank you :) (I was never sure on that because I'm seen as "one of them" - although in my case I meant if something by myself was shown it might be seen as bias, although equally scenarios created for the merged routes that i've done would be different (the route wouldn't be the key part, so more the scenario is being shown :) )

• Like Like x 1
  50. trainbraint

Well - thanks for the NSE, in doing so you combined one of my favourite routes with my favourite era. I think the LTHR is a very nice route, often overshadowed for most people by the quality of the included stock. The NSE era fictional route sounds interesting - is it available for download anywhere, or just a personal project?
    That's also got me thinking - if I, for example, were to make a scenario for the route (using a different tram perhaps - I was thinking the T4D-M from Berlin - Leipzig - the only problem is that the doors only open on one side) then would it be alright to show on the stream? Maybe not, considering the length of it the route would probably be more the key focus. Still, I might make that scenario anyway, there are a certain lack of tram routes in TS, and a few different trams to run on them - it might be nice to try something different.