Hamburg - Lübeck - Sigh

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ASRGT, May 14, 2021.

1. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Hamburg - Lübeck

Sigh, honestly with such decent releases recently I'm shocked at the backstep this route has taken, if there was ever a route to hold as an example of what not to deliver its this one.

Not since Rapid Transit the first German DLC have we seen a route with such broken signaling there is not a single adverse signal that works correctly with all 500hz magnets been 1000hz ! I hate to beat a dead horse here but who is testing this stuff ? do you not at least do a signal run with PZB on internally ?
    These issues are on the live stream as well with Matt looking dumbfounded … I mean even the producer of the game is lost as to why its in such state.

To make matters worse the timing of this release with the long awaiting rapid transit update that while appreciative of the efforts, has done little to add any playable updates as it too is utterly broken, once again highlighting constant criticism of TSW and DTG , lack of QA.
    I have no idea how no one internally has managed to play a single service an not ran into the PZB issues .. perhaps its the old it works on my machine conundrum, whatever the case clearly the automation testing is failing to pick this up and so is the play testing.

I buy the German DLC for PZB its the aspect of the game I find fun and rewarding, I have been using the system for years in TS and ZUSI I understand how it works and yet with TSW its got to the point where its a chore to play with it enabled due to the utter inconsistency of its implementation, there is not a single route i can play where by i don't have to acknowledge signals I shouldn't have to just in case there hooked up wrong in the sim.

Its utterly depressing that in a span of a week we have had rapid transit update that many of us have been waiting a bloody long time for especially around fixes since its release only for it release as an utter dumpster fire with trains instantly derailing, signals broken, LZB end function not working, rendering issues and more and now Hamburg Lübeck is also dead on arrival. And this is after a constant update of there waiting on a testing slot every stream, why bother waiting on testing if this is the results you put out.

Disappointed.

• Like Like x 64
  2. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

get a refund ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  3. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

I had time to try out the BR101 timetable before I refunded yesterday (I've described my criticism in another thread), and it was sad to see the 500 hz magnet light extinguished while approaching a red signal at 40 km/h and then 4 seconds later you hear "Zwangsbremsung" because the 500 hz magnet was actually a 1000 hz magnetic :|

• Like Like x 9
  4. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

In terms of QA, I do believe they find way more of the issues than we believe, it is just that the devs will pick certain ones that they know they will be able to fix until the release date. Everything else is an oopsie and will be tried to fix in a day one patch that ends up coming 2 weeks late, and in second iteration the preserved crew will work on it around 6 months later, and the corresponding patch be released around 9 months after initial release date.
    I have found out for myself, the best you can get a route for right now is at around 50% off, which is roughly a year after release. At that point the gamebraking bugs are likely to be fixed, and you pay a decent price considering the flaws that remain untouched (forever).
    Luckily the route catalogue I built myself will easily last years without me needing to buy anything at release ever again.

• Like Like x 14
  5. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

Shouldn't I have had a 500 hz when approaching the platform signal on Stop at Lübeck? I'm confused by this, 1000 hz works fine at the distant, but rolling in with under 50 km/h I would happily have seen a red 500 hz light when close to the signal. Or have I misunderstood something PZB wise here?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It was clear from the earlier streams there were a lot of bugs and glitches on this route. One to avoid at full price if you have a low tolerence for these things. Give them time to patch it up.

• Like Like x 7
  7. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey - thank you for your feedback, and sorry you feel this way.

The 500Hz/1000Hz magnets issue is known, and we're working on a fix.

• Like Like x 13
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I believe the issue is not whether it get fixed, but how, given the QA we had promised had been done, a basic part of the safety system had been missed, or incorrectly applied
    Hopefully the people testing the functionality know how these things are supposed to be working and then run with ALL systems turned on and faulting each and every one of them (ie run a 500 magnet and see if you get the right error, and if not then report it back) and then going back to the dev team and knocking heads together

• Like Like x 5
  9. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

Indeed, when releases are pushed back by months due to a QA backlog, and then this is what comes out of QA, a lot of questions start to get raised. I hate getting negative over details, but this week the issues are less about details and immersion, and more about the fact that the game is becoming more and more unplayable properly (S6, 182 LZB, these PZB issues). It's rather annoying.

• Like Like x 12
  10. cwf.green

I think people are missing one important thing. It is usually cheaper to prevent bugs than to fix them.

I'm sure countless books have been written about the topic of how a software developer can predict and prevent bugs to appear, and many consultants probably make big bucks in consulting developers how this can be achieved.
    DTG probably has one advantage here compared to an arbitrary software/video game developer: since they are trying to simulate real world systems many of the features they are trying to implement are explained in great detail. If they spent more time/money on educating their developers in these systems so that bugs could be prevented, I don't think it is too far fetched to assume that they could reduce the net costs in developing + bug fixing.

• Like Like x 5
  11. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

TSW 2 is just a train modelling program. It's too early to call it simulator. DTG's 3D modellers are really good and professional but the story ends here. Sad but true. Physics, sound and operational side - everyting we call simulation - here it fails completely. And no editors!! Why?? Big mistake, DTG! I'm not interested anymore. 3rd party developers are making great add-ons for TS 20xx and it's ten times more appealing.

• Like Like x 4
  12. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Haven't bought the route, but disappointing to hear about the signalling issues. Signalling problems are one of the few things that do bug me and really decreases the immersion factor. Having said that, I was impressed with the signalling in SEHS, much better than previous releases and the signals look the part.

For the future routes (UK - L2B!), I'd really like to see some realistic approach control for slow speed junctions. They have the flashing yellows for high speed junctions (which is great), but we don't yet have proper approach control for high to slow speed turnouts - they can be a nasty surprise when driving without the HUD!

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

Thank you, that is nice, but I think we all would like to know how this could happen in the first place? Sure, the route builder could accidentally place the wrong magnets, but shouldn't that be noticed by the very first playtest? This is the kind of stuff that should get a product kicked out of QA straight back to the route building team.

• Like Like x 6
  14. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

DTG’s other big advantage is that they have a core group of players happy to find the bugs for them. They need to leverage that. Right now, some of DTGs staunchest and most forgiving supporters- I am firmly in that camp - are discouraged. Unfortunately, I am in that camp, too.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  15. ARuscoe

No idea why what other devs are doing is relevant to this thread, and you also forgot to mention the amount of rubbish put out by those other devs, incomplete, missing attributes etc etc
    That's what makes me NOT play TSx any more.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

To tell you truth, I'm not sure QA did not send it back and someone high at DTG said "release it anyway".

• Like Like x 9
  17. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to getting this route but reviews aren't exactly brimming with positive feedback, so maybe i'll be finally taking a dive into TramSim.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

Right? I'd be happy to help them out on this... Just put together a group of volunteer beta testers and they'll happily provide all of these bugs within hours of giving them access to content.

• Like Like x 2
  19. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

You would assume though that the people who test these safety systems know how they work. If they don´t then they shouldn´t be the ones testing the safety systems. I do agree with what you said overall though

20. TilmannB

TilmannB New Member

Then I take Beta Testers for that, that they can test it ;) ... I think there give very much people to test it, only for a free DLC ...

• Like Like x 1
  21. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Sam has been threatening to open the beta programme up more, but nothing's come of it.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

Despite all those bugs and the wrong dostos, there's one point which really annoys me. In the Cover Picture the 112 lights look fine, and in the right proportion.

[​IMG]
    In the Screenshots provided by dtg its obvious that those lights are not in the right proportion.
    [​IMG]
    But I guess as long enough people buy everything at release, nothing significant will change at DTG.

• Like Like x 9
  23. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

DTG should really let the community help them, as it seems something/someone internally is really struggling to maintain basic QA checks when it comes to bugs.

• Like Like x 7
  24. henrikf

henrikf New Member

This was actually the first route I have bought since TSW2 was released. It seemed to have a decent length and both freight and passenger service which interest me. I am no PZB expert but it was clear to me on the very first run that something was not right. So it should be easy to spot for anyone testing this with even basic knowledge PZB.

But I guess that DTG have plenty of beta testers... they are called customers.
    I have bought enough DTG products to know the philosophy: Release now, fix later (maybe).
    DTG: Please prove me wrong at some point. Maybe then I will buy more of your products.

• Like Like x 7
  25. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Real beta testing doesn't involve playing the game, it involves trying to break it and letting people know when you succeed. Its almost anti-playing. I have no idea what happens at DTG but what should happen is the beta testers should each be given different checklists to run through and they have to tick things off or say if they aren't working.

Maybe give 2 people the same list and so you can cross reference them, but not have everyone checking the same things.

Route track, scenery, stations, passengers, crossings, scenarios, timetables, locos, other stock, lights, horns, different time of day, weather, onboard systems, buttons, hud elements, controls, doors, pis, derailments, signalling, power and breaking curves working correctly, etc and so on.

Should also cover an array of different hardware on pc and all versions of the consoles.

Other companies invite people to their testing teams based on their answers to surveys to make sure they get people with the right mix of game experience, any prior QA experience plus the right mixture of hardware types.

• Like Like x 3
  26. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

Yes, but imagine how little it costs when you don't prevent them OR fix them, because you know your core audience is so desperate for content that they will keep buying it on launch day regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  27. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Exactly, the fact that its so consistently wrong with how its setup across the route tells you all you need to know.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Yeah, that also is not true anymore when you look at the 112, basic shape loco quite heavily butchered. I agree 3D artists have been doing a solid job, but this time they as well have failed.

• Like Like x 6
  29. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

Since the beginning of the year, on 4 new roads, 3 have come out wobbly: SEHS, Arosalinie, now this road. So you'll tell me, this has been patched and fortunately seen as we pay for a finished product, but we have to wait at least 2 weeks to be able to play it as it should be at the D-day (without bypassing the bugs and use mods right and left). We were promised an improvement in the quality process, we see the result with HHL. I hope DTG can save HHL with a patch as there is a lot of problems never encountered on other roads.
    Personally, never been so disappointed by a DLC and yet I always remained very positive with SEHS and Arosalinie. I'm very concerned about the next roads :(

• Like Like x 5
  30. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Not to pile on, but QA effed up on this one. Its frustrating because Sam says in every stream that they can't give a release date because QA is so thorough they may not be able to release and what not. But then they release and it has clearly not been QAed or was but someone dropped the ball hard. Atleast have a open Beta and let ppl who pre purchase it test it out, get feed back and work on the fixes rather than making it a full release and then making ppl mad. I was looking forward to this route for a month now and its a turd when it dropped. So disappointed right now

• Like Like x 5
  31. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

In that connection, I noticed in the launch stream that Matt's refrain with regard to bugs was "yes, that cropped up at the last minute."

Why was it the last minute?

The "last minute" is defined by DTG, when they set a release date. Why then was a release date set, immovably, which very, very plainly did not allow sufficient time to get the route working? Why, when these "last minute" bugs cropped up, was the release not delayed- or, failing that, everyone in the company down to the lunch lady not crunch redballed to get a Day One patch made?

• Like Like x 5
  32. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

Because then how else would they have time to push an almost certainly bug filled Cathcart Circle out the door before Rush Hour?

Besides, once we buy it and find out that it's a disaster, they've already got our money so what does it matter?

• Like Like x 2
  33. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

I was talking about Armstrong Powerhouse, virtual Railroads, virtual Tracks, Bossman Games, Trainsim Germany, 3DZug and some other developers of high quality add-ons. They all managed to improve simulation side significantly compared to very basic and unfinished stuff DTG usually provides. That's Your personal problem if You prefer rubbish 3rd party products. But anyway - in TS 20xx I can make models and routes even better myself using editors ... what I can't do in TSW. And that's a big difference. Too big.

• Like Like x 1
  34. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

Hamburg is down to 46% on steam.. Ouch.. Will this be a wake up call or will cathcart just be a rinse repeat.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It is that high just because people that watched the streams and decided not to buy can not write a review.

• Like Like x 5
  36. lukas.ullrich

lukas.ullrich New Member

I'm very frustrated with this route. All those mistakes look like DTG is a complete beginner. It's too many mistakes for one DLC.
    The ride is not smooth, lagging occurs, when the image stops for 0.5 s and then continues. At the same time, my components in the computer are loaded to a maximum of 45%.
    DB BR 112 - wrong sounds, braking system, lights
    (Today I even found out that it is not possible to enter all the doors in the cars on the platform, because the platform is too high compared to the car and there is a step there that prevents me from doing so.)
    If this DLC has passed the beta test, I recommend completely replacing this group of people. I missed the rating on Steam because it's very red there with the thumb down. I don't know if anyone read this at all?
    Please stop issuing DLC in this quality! I'd rather wait months later.

So far you have published many nice routes, which are very successful and for that you deserve a big thank you.
    LGV Méditerranée: Marseille - Avignon, Hauptstrecke München - Augsburg Route, Rhein-Ruhr Osten: Wuppertal - Hagen, Canadian National Oakville Subdivision: Hamilton - Oakville, East Coastway: Brighton - Eastbourne & Seaford, Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr: Duisburg - Bochum, Great Western Express, and various locomotives.

I wish many such successes.

• Like Like x 6
  37. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed that in the two preview streams as well, and was the main reason I decided to skip this route.

They way he was telling "yes we're not promising a fix, we'll make sure to get it right the next time" and the fact making the correct DoStos was not worth it told all the story about how much effort they were willing to put into HHL, and was definitely not a product they were proud of, and it even then, it was much worse than expected...

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  38. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

they give us the Class 385 as Extra Train ;)

• Like Like x 1
  39. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

It does make you wonder how on earth so many unresolved issues made it through to release day (I preordered). Either the beta testers are imbeciles (which I strongly doubt), or DTG have once again decided to “publish and be damned” due to their ever unreasonable deadlines. There must be at least a couple of dozen very knowledgeable people on these forums who would be more than happy to help with play testing, I think it’s about time their talents were leveraged, and for DTG to take a long look at their internal processes which seem to be in dire need of an overhaul. Release dates can be changed and should be when there are this many showstoppers.

• Like Like x 8
  40. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Because they do no testing at all. Just think about the fact that someone built the 112 and didn't even bother to try out if the brakes work properly. They build the routes then won't even do a single run through them with safety systems on to see if they work. You would think that the obvious step after building/creating something would be to test it out yourself first for the basics.

• Like Like x 3
  41. cwf.green

Cynical, but your description seems to be the one that best fits reality.

• Like Like x 3
  42. cp1400

cp1400 Member

And to add to all those things, there are also some really blatant misrepresentations of the hamburg area and some other scenery throughout the whole route. Just watch a cab ride and compare...

• Like Like x 3
  43. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not exactly sure what TSW is meant to be representing ... errrrsureJPG.JPG

And lets not even start on the sound my 112 in game i could hear a pin drop in comparison to the cab ride video.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. ARuscoe

Fall at the first hurdle I'm afraid. Great at sounds, terrible at working for the betterment of the community, which is why all of their supplied scenarios require all of their back catalogue to actually work, and when they bring out new content they then update their old scenarios to require this
    So fine if you're an experienced TSx person who can write their own scenarios but not so great if you want what you paid for to work and continue to work as it should

And the rest quoted? Don't know all of them but some of the "producers of great content" should be looked at more closely methinks. I've had issues with content from loads of "quality third party providers" including missing branch signals, sidings marked as one way so you can't exit them and so on and so on

Fine DTG stuff isn't as good as it could (or should) be, but at least be realistic about what the DLC providers your espousing actually do

• Like Like x 3
  45. cwf.green

I think the relevancy of bringing up other developers is that in TS2021 the game doesn't live or die based on DTG's performance which is very nearly the case for TSW2. More open access for developers would mean more diversity in DLC which is safer for the longevity of the platform.

Of course there is a reason why DTG has very tight control of the access to their SDK. They say it is to keep a high level of quality. This seems weird seeing as they are not keeping a high standard themselves.

Maybe the real reason can be illustrated by an example:

In TS20XX I rarely bought routes made by DTG because they were usually very inaccurate in terms of signaling, PZB, track quality (superelevation) etc, and almost never bought any locomotives (I am even more picky about locomotive realism). This meant that DTG received little money from me.

In TSW2 I am forced to buy from DTG if I want any routes/locomotives (with the small exception of Rivet), so DTG gets nearly all the money I spend on DLC's.

For DTG this is obviously very good, but the risk is that if the quality drops more I will stop playing TSW2 completely and then DTG won't get any of my money while in the case of TS2021 there will still be some "trickle down" money from me due to DTG owning the base game.

• Like Like x 6
  46. PeterNeutron

PeterNeutron Active Member

I expect DTG to come up, publish a statement/excuse for this mess and provide a fix for the completey bugged PZB, the bugged FIS with the BR 146 and the bugged BR 146 / Dosto Combo where you cannot drive in the Dosto Cab with the PZB/Sifa enabled in the BR146 even with the direction switch set to off or neutral.

The route itself is okay IMO, yes there are a few distance cards wrong and some areas are very well and other are okayisch but the route itself is the best part about the DLC.
    Signalling systems, Locos, SOUNDS(!!!) etc are partly unusable.

Fun Fact:

100% of the Services involving a red signal are broken! ( Fun fact 2: EVERY service ends at a red signal ; )
    Wow!

I started to work on a EBula Table based on Excel where I incorporate all Services over time, there stops, speed restrictions etc...
    https://rail-sim.de/forum/filebase/entry/7100-ebula-hhl/

You simply cannot imagine how overwhelmingly frustrating this is as soon as you discover how broken the signalling system and some services are!

I gonna Stop it for now because it does not make sense at the current state of the Route!

As stated in the firs sentence..

DTG you'll have to come up with something here!
    Fix within a week or two, excuse, a few honest words, whatsoever but this is a shame atm!

• Like Like x 3
  47. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

Nobody ask You to use AP scenarios. It's always possible to swap rolling stock in TS 20xx ... but yes - there are editors for that! TSW 2 is dead product until at least most important editors are available for users. Payware or freeware I don't care but at least let us to do something with those low level products almost left without support. For example Main Spessart Bahn rolling stock sounds are still completely broken and DTG even removed those fixes from Roadmap list now. ??? People report that Hamburg-Lübeck 146-2 and Dostos have the same broken sounds!! Of cause nobody forces me to buy something like that (and I do not buy) but seems that many longtime trainsimmers think like me. And this leads to troubles for DTG someday. Armstrong Powerhouse, who You called a 'Fall at the first hurdle' did so much for trainsim community to keep TS alive. Especially with enhancement packs which repair buggy and poor DTG-s work and replaces unrealistic mostly recycled sounds with high quality ones. I really can't imagine TS (english stuff) without AP-s hard work and great products.

• Like Like x 1
  48. ARuscoe

I paid for them, they should work. Funny enough, the same argument as people make about TSW

• Like Like x 3
  49. cp1400

cp1400 Member

Couldn't agree more mate

• Like Like x 1
  50. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There's nothing new about this, really; for all the praise heaped on HMA, the Munich skyline east of the Hbf is completely missing: no Rathaus, no Supreme Court, not even the bloody cathedral!

• Like Like x 8