(build 285) Nec: New York Bug List

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by cActUsjUiCe, May 13, 2018.

1. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

NOTE: This only pertains to passenger operation! Freight was not tested! Feel free to add anything you noticed.

SIGNALS
    • In the River Tunnels (North River/East River), the signal behavior is strange. Even with multiple vacant signal blocks ahead, the signals still give very restrictive aspects. When traveling east through the North River Tunnel (from New Jersey to New York Penn), the signal at CP MID should display Clear. The cab signals in the tunnel should then progressively bring you down to Slow Speed before reaching A interlocking in New York Penn. Similar behavior happens in the East River Tunnel. When traveling east from New York Penn to Long Island City, ALL of the signals in East River Tunnels Line #1 are Approach. Only at the tunnel portal in Long Island City do you get something more favorable than Approach. If these signal blocks are clear, then the signals should represent that. The signals approaching Penn Station from the east exhibit bizarre behavior as well. With all signal blocks ahead of me devoid of train traffic, I should get Clear signals throughout most of F interlocking and the East River Tunnels. Instead, I received Approach Medium at F interlocking, Approach at the tunnel portal, and then Approach signals all the way through the East River Tunnels until reaching Penn Station.

• APPLIES TO EASTBOUND MOVEMENTS FROM EAST RIVER TUNNEL LINE #1 to AMTRAK HELL GATE LINE No. 2 TRACK: Eastbound home signal at F interlocking on East River Tunnels Line #1 should display Approach Limited, not Clear. The eastbound home signal at Harold interlocking should display Limited Clear, not Approach Medium. The domino pedestal signal in Harold interlocking should display Limited Clear, not Medium Clear.

• Eastbound movements from Hell Gate Line to Metro-North New Haven Line at CP 216 should show the following signal progression:
    • Manor home signal: Approach Limited
    • CP 216 home signal: Limited Clear (will show as Approach Limited on ADU)
    • Passing Approach Limited gives Approach Medium in the cab. It should display Approach Limited in the cab.
    • Passing Approach Medium gives Approach Limited in the cab. It should display Approach Medium in the cab.
    • The westbound distant signals for Pelham Bay interlocking should be color position light signals and placed on the ground. They are currently position lights and one is mounted on a gantry.

• The westbound distant signals for Gate interlocking show malformed aspects. A common one is both signal heads displaying three vertical lights. Sometimes they display Medium Clear which should never happen for a signal outside of an interlocking.

• The eastbound distant signals for Pelham Bay interlocking show malformed aspects. A common one is both signal heads displaying three vertical lights. Sometimes they display Medium Clear which should never happen for a signal outside of an interlocking.

• Clear signals in Penn Station show up as Restricting in the cab. Clear signals should only show Clear in the cab. This issue causes major problems when traveling west through the North River Tunnels since the train will not be able to exceed Restricted speed until reaching Bergen interlocking in New Jersey.

• Signals are displayed in such a way so as to allow conflicting movements of trains. For example, I was heading west and just cleared the North River Tunnels. The westbound home signals for Bergen interlocking were both displaying Cab Speed, indicating that westbound movements were authorized on both tracks, but not eastbound movements. After clearing Bergen interlocking, an eastbound train went by me on No. 2 track. You can’t have signals authorizing movements in opposite directions on the same track. That’s how collisions happen. The westbound home signal for Bergen on No. 2 track should have been a Stop signal in this case.

SPEED LIMITS

• Speed limit between Passaic River bridge and Rea is 45MPH throughout, there shouldn't be a 30MPH restriction.
    • Switching speed at Harold interlocking should be 45MPH for Amtrak trains going to the Hell Gate Line, not 30MPH.
    • MAS of 50MPH west of Gate interlocking applies ONLY to the curve, not the tangents on either end of the curve. Both tangents should be 60MPH.
    • Curve at Milepost 13.5 of the Hell Gate Line is 70MPH for both tracks, not 65MPH.
    • Sharp “S” curve directly west of the New Rochelle platform on No. 4 track should be 30MPH, not 45MPH.
    • First curve west of Manor interlocking should be 70MPH, not 80MPH.
    • First curve west of Milepost 12 (Hell Gate Line) should be 70MPH for No. 1 track, not 65MPH. No. 2 track is 65MPH for that particular curve.
    • Curve at Milepost 8 (Hell Gate Line) is 60MPH, not 50MPH.
    • Tangent between curve at Milepost 8 (Hell Gate Line) and curve east of Hell Gate Bridge is 60MPH, not 50MPH.
    • The entirety of the Hell Gate Bridge main bridge section is 60MPH, not 50MPH.
    • Harold interlocking diverging movements to/from Hell Gate Line No. 1 track should be at 45MPH, not 50MPH.
    • 45MPH speed limit on curve between Rea and Dock on No. 3 track is improperly placed. When traveling west, the 45MPH restriction starts happening about 20% of the way into the curve instead of at the beginning of the curve.
    ACSES/ATC
    • After a penalty brake, ACSES should perform a running release of the brakes when the train’s speed has returned below civil speeds. It currently just dumps the train and applies emergency brakes.
    • ACSES does not enforce a 30MPH braking curve for upcoming Medium Clear signals.
    • Braking curve calculations for diverging movements at interlockings are incorrect. The speed limit for the diverging movement should be enforced at the home signal of the interlocking, not at the point of switch.
    • The penalty timer should be 8 seconds, not 5 seconds.

REALISM
    • Amtrak should be using East River Tunnel Lines 1&2. Lines 3&4 are generally used by Long Island Railroad. This suggestion only really applies to westbound services (New Rochelle - Newark) since it appears most Amtrak services are now routed eastbound through Line #1.

Heads-up Display (HUD)

• When traveling west on No. 3 track at Swift interlocking, the HUD shows the speed limit as 60MPH and the ADU shows the correct speed limit of 90MPH. The HUD should always conform to the actual speed limit.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

So, NEC is still broken as ever with the signaling and safety on passengers. Correct?

3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Very good finds.

• Like Like x 3
  4. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

It is actually a huge improvement. There are still some major issues that need to be worked out

• Like Like x 7
  5. Challenger3985

My bad, didn't read the whole post. But your right, there is some issues that need some improvements to make it more realistic to the route.

6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I remember you mentioning the issue of the wrong tunnels several times.

7. PlaysWithTrains

PlaysWithTrains New Member

After Windows 10 April update (1803 build 17134.48) and the TSW build 285 update (Steam files verification passed), many northbound NEC services from Newark Liberty are freezing about two seconds before the start time (i.e. doors are open and instructions are to wait until the top of the current minute to close the doors and start up). I tried almost all of them before 13:35 and they freeze (they worked before the updates). For some reason the 18:35 is OK. An example: About 55 seconds into this video of the 10:35, the clock just stops: . The software becomes unresponsive and must be closed using Windows task mgr.

That said, I agree that the signaling is much better than it was (the amazingly detailed comments by cActUsjUiCe are way above my pay grade, but I hope DTG listens).

• Like Like x 3
  8. Challenger3985

Well, you are not the only one to have this freeze-up: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw-locking-up-after-last-update.4713/
    And it's not only on NEC NY either, did try the Tutorial on the GWE, same result in at least 5 mins in-game.

9. PlaysWithTrains

Right you are -- in addition to the ones I mentioned, it's happening randomly on all the NEC services. I have not been able to complete one since the updates. I did try a couple of GWE services, no lockups yet.

10. Challenger3985

Would these freezes relate to being at the station during load/unload objective during passenger runs?

• Like Like x 1
  11. PlaysWithTrains

Yes, they are, all of them. The software isn't crashing -- it's just unresponsive, using 25% of CPU; audio keeps working, just no keyboard/mouse response.

12. Challenger3985

It would seem, in my opinion, that the game will freeze up if you stay idle in that area you're in for too long. And for the reason why there was no crash report, just a wild guess to me, that it's still running but it's not GPU friendly at the moment.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  13. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I am going to supplement my original post with videos pointing out all these things. So stay tuned for that.