Roadmap Update - 18th May 2021

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, May 18, 2021.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

sophieclarke1983 I have removed one of your posts, we welcome your opinions and feedback but please keep your posts appropriate for the forums.

• Like Like x 6
  2. NYIslanders0902

NYIslanders0902 Active Member

Not such a good roadmap, nothing there that’s exciting other than Rush Hour that’s coming out this summer.

3. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

[Route Add-On] GGD-R6 01 West Cornwall Local: Penzance - Truro & St Ives - Developed By Rivet Games

Please remove items off the roadmap which clearly are not ready to be talked about. The locos should of been added by now. If you can not include both the loco and route. Remove it off upcoming roadmaps

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

With all the complaints and questions as to how it was released the way it was, I think answers to those questions would be interesting externally for their customers

• Like Like x 3
  5. tallboy7648

Well roadmaps aren´t always gonna have new things announced. You can´t have the expectation that every two weeks something new will be announced. Your just gonna have to wait for things to be announced

• Like Like x 9
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

My modular 'one' question for tonight:
    BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  7. NYIslanders0902

NYIslanders0902 Active Member

Obviously some roadmaps aren’t gonna have some things announced, and I have no expectation, and I don’t feel like waiting, but whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Some questions:

When will we get an update on development of steam? I still remember a promise to publish something every month.
    Same for Rush hour, when will there be an article about this?

Then two extremely annoying issues:

The HUD and driving direction inconsistencies/big confusion. Is anything going on there?
    The sign in issue for DTG live. Matt said it was investigated. Any progress? Can you monitor this at the roadmap please?

And this: a long time ago we were treated with an improved accelerometer for the BR423. It was experimental. What will happen to this? Will there be a next step?

And I cannot resist asking: scenario planner Version 2.0 do you have at least any ideas on what direction this may go? Now it looks like one of the unfinished projects and we really want something better than this.

• Like Like x 3
  9. sdc

sdc Member

There is a community challenge for Rush Hour. The winning route will get the first article.

see: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/rush-hour-community-challenge

• Like Like x 2
  10. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I agree with this but at the same time it’s DTG’s responsibility to ensure they maintain a cashflow and a comparable quality of product that meets their product description.

If DTG want to increase content output then they need to be prepared to take a cut to quality, which you could argue is currently happening now, but then DTG should not be making false promises such as ‘X will not happen again’ even though they know that they don’t realistically have the appropriate resources to ensure such things.

Obviously a community that is thousands of people in numbers will not agree on any one thing, but treating DTG asif they are running a Kickstarter project isn’t the answer.

If what we are going to see with future releases is sloppy scenery and a decreased effort in modelling then that’s what they need to tell us, this auto generation tool is clearly working well for them otherwise I doubt we would be seeing 3 new routes bundled into one release, on the back of a busy content schedule.

• Like Like x 2
  11. WVUadam

Short read this one. We know you said in the past things take longer than usual. which they can do when things don't go to plan. Maybe when this occurs you could post a message to say nothing has changed within our next roadmap.

• Like Like x 1
  12. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I didn’t :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Adam What is the latest on the Freight exchange scenario on RSN? Would appreciate some information on the stream.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

We’ll see in the stream.

15. tallboy7648

Not to mention that they have a decent amount of cash as well. TSW has been going on for almost 5 years and it´s annoying when some act as if it´s dtg´s first rodeo in train simulatotion. TS2021 has been going along for a decade so it is not their first rodeo in train simulation as you say

• Like Like x 2
  16. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Wow, another very quiet roadmap...

• Like Like x 3
  17. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I mean if you had read the Roadmap, I don’t know what you were expecting?

My theory (speculation of course) what happened this week.

An updated roadmap (we’ve seen from a now deleted scheduled tweet) was in progress showing movement of the 313, Cathcart Circle, and the Roadmap Stream would have intended to talk about these in detail.

Then I saw this;
    I reckon this Thursday is now being used as a filler instead and we might have gotten a preview of the Class 313 / Cathcart instead, following on from the Roadmap stream.

Still with me? Good.

Because of the issues with HHL, and last weeks patch, DTG have decided not to proceed with a roadmap update, talking about new DLC, but instead dedicate the stream to addressing the recent problems.

As always, the community has had a meltdown, when DTG have had the best of intentions, here, I think.

It’s worth pointing out that just because there’s no roadmap movement the creators haven’t suddenly downed tools, there’s nothing to report, so this is reflected.

• Like Like x 14
  18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

This is an absolute fetish with you, isn't it? Given the MAJOR problems with HHL, this one is almost as trivial as the brake handle diameter

• Like Like x 13
  19. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

In other words "this doesn't meet with my personal approval so it shouldn't be there. Please consult me in future before you publish road maps".

Oh, (pedant mode on) and it should be "The locos should have",. Not "should of".(pedant mode off)

• Like Like x 9
  20. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

Good - they SHOULD be focusing on fixing the issues in existing routes before trying to sell us additional content.

• Like Like x 4
  21. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

My questions for the roadmap stream:

1. Normally routes are made at slightly different times so that they don't all release at once, yet you are now planning on releasing 3 at once in Rush Hour, so how have you aligned the development cycles? Was it by some waiting? Some being rushed? Is there any risk that they may be not all of the same quality upon release?

2. What is your benchmark that routes have to meet to be green-lighted for release.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Can't believe people are actually gonna watch this stream when it's Eurovision semi-final 1 at the same time. Priorities people.

• Like Like x 4
  23. junior hornet

To be fair, they have had two previous releases containing three brand new routes and generally, these have been better accepted than some of the more recent individual releases. I have my fingers crossed, particularly for London-Brighton.

• Like Like x 4
  24. junior hornet

I’ll be watching the League Two Playoff semi final between `Newport and Forest Green.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m a huge Eurovision fan, but I never watch the semi-finals. I like to not hear any of the songs until the final and then pick my favourite then.

• Like Like x 2
  26. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Not surprised or shocked with the amount that they have released in the last month and a half that there would be a few stale Roadmaps coming out.

Personally I wasn't expecting anything new this time as I figured we are at least 3 to 4 weeks minimum from the next release. And pretty sure they are busy working on the Rush Hour release. It does seem like a big project.

• Like Like x 4
  27. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I called the organizers. They will postpone the contest by a few hours. They are aware of the seriousness of the situation \o/

• Like Like x 9
  28. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I find it weird and also sad that so many people expect the roadmap to be some sort of toothpaste tube, where the more you press on one end, the more comes out at the otehr end. This is not meant to be a constant stream of content, it is an overview of what is worked on. And why would it surprise anyone if there is no big change within that progress?
    "rubbish roadmap" "meaningless roadmap" "waste of time" "wow nothing"

get real, you only get failed by your own expectations that simply don't match with what the actual thing is, this is on you not on DTG or the roadmap.

• Like Like x 18
  29. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm pleased to see that "user manuals and guides" have made it to the roadmap. I'll be even more pleased when they leave the roadmap and arrive "on the road" of actual availability.

• Like Like x 4
  30. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think saying the community has had a meltdown is abit of on overreaction, there are a few people in this thread that may possibly of had a meltdown, and then some are unhappy that there is no movement.

Now, what DTG have done with the roadmap in general is mistaken the ‘roadmap’ idea with a means of communication, how many games are out there with a roadmap being updated every 2 weeks? They’ve set themselves up to fail with this whole shabang, because putting out a roadmap every 2 weeks sets up the community to expect changes every 2 weeks, because this is the only consistent method of communication where they discuss future plans for the game, so I think it’s unfair to say that the community has themselves to blame for setting expectations when it comes to the roadmap.

Now obviously it’s completely unreasonable to expect DTG to have changes on their plan every 2 weeks, but not everyone is that logical and do expect that (I’m not targeting anyone or trying to cause offence to anyone in saying that), the only people to blame for setting that expectation is DTG, because producing a roadmap every 2 weeks is frankly a ridiculous idea, but then that does fall in line with a lot of DTG’s over ambitious ideas.

• Like Like x 3
  31. tallboy7648

I'm curious to know since the stream ended if the Motor Audio sounds on the M7 cutting out in the middle and rear of the train will be fixed. This was a bug that happened when lirr came to tsw2 8 months ago and was not fixed in the update. When the train accelerates and moves there is no motor sound on the middle and rear of the train. When doing the return journey, the cab will not have any motor audio at all. The motor sounds on the M7 are effectively broken. This was not an issue in tsw2020. Would it be possible to just get the audio on the m7 to tsw2020 standard meaning like port the audio file from tsw2020 lirr m7 into tsw2. This wasn't answered in the stream

• Like Like x 2
  32. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I think the whole Roadmap idea is starting to lose its appeal really. The major thing I take away from it is DTG saying ' we have fixed the issue but haven't released it' in my book that is no fix at all.

• Like Like x 6
  33. tallboy7648

It can't be a fix if it isn't released and it has to actually fix something. I just hope the reasurrances that were said actually happen. The "improved" pis that was shown for lirr is still a disappointment and a real immersion killer since I use the Hempstead branch quite often in reality but I hope down the line, the pis will actually have the proper design as reality

• Like Like x 1
  34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Sound was discussed in the stream and Adam said to point out any broken sounds (point him in the direction of the bug reports that mention them), so that means any missing sounds in TSW2 that were present in TSW2020 or anything that is majorly broken that wasn’t fixed. It appears that some reports of sound issues from the preserved collection may have been missed, as Adam seemed unaware of some specific issues.

• Like Like x 1
  35. WVUadam

It's a fair response. It's not a tv series where you have to wait until next week to find out the answer.

• Like Like x 1
  36. tallboy7648

I did write a ticket in Kayako though last week about the issue. Many people also pointed out the broken motor sounds. I know what was said. I watched the whole stream.

• Like Like x 1
  37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I thought you were asking what was said. Something needs to be done about the sound in LIRR as it is really unpleasant sounding and still buggy. There have been errors across the board with this update, hopefully the sound cutting out and some other issues will be fixed in the patch.

• Like Like x 4
  38. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

Why?
    • What "went wrong" is they didn't test properly, I suppose. Either someone was supposed to test the things that broke and didn't do so, or they were never going to test it in the first place.
    • What's being done now is either they will make sure things are being tested, or they will not. (but they couldn't say that, of course)
    • What important lessons have been learned? Probably none. They have released broken stuff in the past. Why should this time be any different? But for the sake of argument let's say they've learned how to test patches properly. (??)
    • How updates will be handled and managed more effectively in the future? They'll try or make sure to test properly in the future.
    So, what did we learn? Basically, they made a mistake and promise to do better. (sound familiar?)

Seriously, I have no idea what kind of answers anyone would find "interesting". People are just looking for scapegoats.

• Like Like x 2
  39. tallboy7648

It seems adam was unaware about the motor sounds despite all the reports which is a bit odd. I rather them just get back to the tsw2020 sounds of lirr instead of improving them at the moment

• Like Like x 2
  40. tallboy7648

Yeh the answer sounds somewhat familiar.

• Like Like x 1
  41. breblimator

breblimator Guest

As a few people just mentioned, these are just words. It is true, however, it was an admission of guilt with class.

I am looking forward to Rush Hour, but I am full of anxiety. Okay, it turned out, they'll fix the HHL magnets. I was afraid to hear that it would mean doing something "from scratch" / again / not doing it. I appreciate Adam's willingness, professionalism, but I'll be completely honest: considering the last few days, I can't imagine bringing Preserved TSW to the level of Actual TSW. It will always be chasing your own tail. BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  42. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  43. tallboy7648

Now it's time to play the German National Anthem since Germany won the challenge :)

Not gonna lie, the German National Anthem sounds nice

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  44. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

Thanks for today's Roadmap stream. It was interesting to learn more about what went into some of the decisions which were made.
    I also appreciated the clarification about what "broken audio" meant.

45. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

The challenge for the developers diary on one of the new routes doesn’t end till the 24th May

46. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

okay but germany will be first

• Like Like x 2
  47. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I dont think I agree with this part, as it was shown in a preview in Facebook this morning as well as a leak on the TSC discord that Smokebox's Bigboy model is coming soon, which I think was already planned for this week regardless of what has happened.

• Like Like x 1
  48. tallboy7648

Looks like the German National anthem won't be playing yet since it's not over

49. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I've been doing research on German routes recently - I did 100+ services, maybe. I hope it did not hurt the competition and my colleagues from UK and USA will not be angry with me :D

PS RT testing HHL testing BR 101 testing... :love: I am sorry!

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  50. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

One comment on what was said by Sam: I am happy that you have heard the community and will learn from it when it comes to things such as PIS on LIRR and the Dostos on HHL. However, I really hope that the lesson you learned will not result in not doing things at all, but rather that they will be done correctly in the first place. The learning process from this experience should not be "So let's not do it at all" but rather "Let's do it correctly then".

• Like Like x 6