Update 1: Another Guide, Some Screenshot Shenanigans And More!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProfCreeptonius, May 16, 2018.

?
  1. YES, YES, PLEASE!!!

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. I'd like it, but it's not so bad if you don't make it

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. I don't really care

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. Prof is a terrible teacher, he shall never make guides again!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

EDIT Update 1: OUTDATED! Scroll down for the latest questions and guide offers! Thanks!

Good evening to everyone!

Hope you're having a great time ;)
    My buddy cActUsjUiCe (Go check him out, he's an amazing guy working hard on the NEC development!) introduced a concept I really liked and I wanted to offer it to you all. I also have a few other questions I'd like to pose to you.
    He did in a live-stream an extreme difficulty run from Newark Penn to New Rochelle - all safety systems active, bad weather, adverse signals. I really liked the idea of a difficult challenge so I hopped on the opportunity and did a similar run in Germany from Hamburg to Ahrensburg. All safety systems + Engine temperature monitoring included. Unfortunately I had to guess the engine temperature, but I did drive looking after the energy consumption. To our misfortune, Nvidia picked up my background music, so I had to kill the audio. I promise this oversight won't happen in the future. Anyways, here it is:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=13CxQI0RCHyJwljSt6qS9xL6x7T5oOI6B
    If you feel like it, you can watch it.
    I really enjoyed the experience and am wondering whether myself and cActUsjUiCe should start/continue streaming extreme difficulty runs. I can only speak for myself, so please, vote in the poll whether you'd like to see some more extreme difficulty runs by me. Also vote if I should stream it or record it. Since the voting setup here only allows me to have one question I've made this:
    https://goo.gl/forms/hWTaWI2kDhs41eV02
    Vote away!
    Also please tell me in your replies what you liked/disliked or want to suggest for my extreme difficulty German runs.

There's another point to talk about - signalling guides. Seeing as WSR is coming Soon™, I thought about making a semaphore signalling guide. In this vote, please vote whether you'd like me to make one.

Now let me speak of what you can tell me in your replies. First, what other guides/tutorials regarding general TSxx/TSW or regarding British and/or German routes would you like? If you agree to someones request, upvote it! Note that a guide is not an answer to a specific question, rather a very vast and general document on something, so I can't make a guide on a specific bug or something like that. Ask for a guide if you want to acquire a lot of knowledge on that topic. Refer to the PZB guide in my signature for examples. I'll happily reply to as many requests as possible. Also tell me if you'd want me and cActUsjUiCe to compile all our guides into one place for your convenience.
    I'll be constantly watching this thread, so any halfway popular guide-requests will be created. Any suggestions will hopefully be fulfilled.

So to close off this long-ish post: Thank you, every one of you, for helping us on our guides and helping make train simulation better then ever!

Thanks for your time,
    Cheers,
    ProfCreeptonius.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. ProfCreeptonius

• Like Like x 6
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Given DTG's propensity to hand out kindergarten-level user "guides", we need all the help we can get. From one prof to another: many thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the guide Prof. How do I download it as it only seems to let me view it?

5. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

Very nice indeed. Thank you for the guide, it will certainly be helpful in both RW/TS20xx and TSW :)

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Click FILE, then select MAKE A COPY

7. Farmer_C

Farmer_C Well-Known Member

Thank you ProfCreeptonius for this excellent guide. I definitely encourage you to continue making these guides. A one A4 size presentation based on pictures/illustrations rather than long texts/explanations on the functioning of German PZB would be a real treat. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. ProfCreeptonius

Hello everyone!
    Thanks for the kind responses, it really motivates me to continue making these guides <3 You're the best!
    Farmer_C Nice idea! If anyone else agrees, please upvote Farmer's post, and I'll start working on it!

Cheers,
    ProfCreeptonius.

EDIT, I forgot
    SamYeager270 I think you can download it as a docx. file. I'll see if I can attach it to the thread.
    EDIT update one:
    Keep scrolling for the latest guides!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I would say it might be better to have one side "worded" and a reverse "diagramtical" so you could have the long version on one side and the quick start version on the back...
    It's how I do my work guides at work

• Like Like x 1
  10. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the pdf Prof. :D

11. ProfCreeptonius

Hello there ladies and gentlemen!
    Another guide has been created!
    By request of Farmer_C, here is just ONE A4 sheet of paper compiling all the most important knowledge for PZB. Unfortunately, due to the vast amount of information contained, I couldn't make it look pretty like a presentation whilst keeping it printable and not losing vital knowledge. I'm sorry, but to get everything on one page with fancy illustrations isn't possible ;(
    This however, you can print out and use whilst driving to remind yourself of the speed checks, required actions etc. etc. You will need a basic understanding of how to interact with PZB for this to make sense though. Like you need to know that there are three buttons: wachsam, frei, befehl and that there are six lamps to look out for. That just couldn't fit on the page, I'm sorry ;(
    On the online version I had just enough space to fit the lamps for the sequence when stopping at a red, if anyone wanted to see that explicitly.
    Here ya go!:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Q7OodkScMXSFx8N0qoZWJc5lHOdc6ODNKrshWl9JSw/edit?usp=sharing
    Now there is another topic to talk of:
    Superhigh resolution screenshot guide, anyone interested? Would you like to make some screenshots in 4k resolution like the ones in the attachment? Upvote this post if you want to!
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T7zQ40uwfOJ3x2kPIFcxFUEQZoKzmzsU
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tr__jbGffn9xrX5m8jgYCU0Jqa4keVFV
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ph4fDH4Nv-R6tpM7qZCiMVrYh2mMikMY
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R51s4nbWN7_xAlbjJnp3CAN-CyLbkgEn
    I know the screenshots aren't perfect, but they are a proof of concept - you can make 4k images on a 1080p monitor. The last of those photos even has a funky shader on...

Like always, thanks for your support,
    ProfCreeptonius

PS: The extreme scenario playthroughs I've been mentioning before Update 1 have been executed! Join our discord community if you want to know when myself and cactusjuice stream!
    https://discord.gg/y3v4e4G

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Farmer_C

Farmer_C Well-Known Member

Hello ProfCreeptonius,

First of all, apologies for the late reply: I was away for the weekend and didn't have the possibility to react to your post any earlier.

Secondly, a huge thanks for the excellent PZB reference sheets that you have put together in a record time. You really have done excellent work. The reference sheets look superb, and I surely will put them into active use, no doubt about that. I am much obliged for all your efforts. Keep up the good work! :)