My My Hey Hey Rock And Roll Is Here To Stay

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by breblimator, May 22, 2021.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

congratulations from Poland
    The French also rocked
    the rest - applause for the performance \o/

EDIT remember, each of us has our own definition of beauty in our hearts - this is not a cause for dispute :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Ahahahah you guys cannot even imagine the reaction from the italian commentators, they went completely nuts ahahah.

• Like Like x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Good song \o/ Beauty and good music always won \o/

• Like Like x 1
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

This time I actually liked our song (unlike in 2019), pretty happy they won, what a great achievement, well deserved (IMO) but there were a lot of great songs tonight :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Meanwhile I think tonight was the first time I've been jaw dropped and speechless - at least for a very long time.

I must say I did like Iceland's entry, and congratulations to Italy too.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Alrighty then.

• Like Like x 1
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I'll get it right. Everyone deserves a little beauty :) give me a minute

• Like Like x 1
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

There You are :) enjoy link out of the blue and into the black ;)

9. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

NBC have the exclusive US rights including online.

Some good songs there. I don't think Italy's was the best but it was decent. Really liked Ukraine, Greece and Azerbaijan. Iceland's quirkiness and the swiss one really grew on me.

The UK one was 'not great' to put it politely and Amanda Holden did little to endear us to Europe (why her?) with her 'joke' about not knowing languages. Then Greece has a 10 year old with perfect English.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

In the end I was rooting for Switzerland to win because the guy could sing, and he just looked so happy to be there. But Italy was also one of my favs so I am mostly just glad it wasn't France's boring ballad taking home the trophy. I really did have high hopes for Ukraine and Iceland but I can kinda see why both were perhaps too quirky to be winners, though I hope both come back in future with something to prove.

The UK got exactly as many points as effort it puts in, zero. I don't think the BBC know how to handle to Eurovision anymore, it might be worth giving the selection process to ITV instead as they've a plethora of talent shows they can pick a singer from who'll have enjoyed at least a modicum of support from the UK public. Just sending a random nobody to Eurovision to sing a crap song when you've a music industry as good as the UK's is literally the fastest way to earn the ire of the jury and the voting public. And hard agree with fabdiva about Amanda Holden, I dunno if what she said was scripted but it was exactly the kind of tone deaf thing you'd say if you wanted to annoy everyone.

Ah well, onwards to Roma(?) 2022! I might try and see if I can go again, Lisbon 2018 was an experience I shall never forget!

• Like Like x 3
  11. fabdiva

I think this is very much the case - given the state of the BBC's budget they obviously don't want to win and have to pay for hosting, but at the same time the UK media including the BBC make it a big thing about flag waving and national pride. So when the inevitable happens and a lower tier song ends up at the bottom of the table there is a lot of wailing, the singers career is ruined, conspiracies come out etc etc. If the UK just took it as a bit of fun TV where win or lose it doesn't matter and just enjoyed things then I think there might be grounds for rebuilding a winning entry as it would be easier to get talent if a defeat didn't destroy their career.

It's been interesting to see throughout the competition that Europe loves "Love Shine a Light" the last UK win, but while the international feed was doing a nice thing about Katrina and her song, the BBC had cut to a Line of Duty parody starring Bucks Fizz, who are only memorable for the skirts and given their politics are pretty unlikely to be invited onto the main feed.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I would have said the opposite, it's BECAUSE we don't take it seriously enough, that we do as well as we do. Personally, I think it's political, and a load of nonsence, with the usual crowd throwing votes to their chums.

When I see people make it out like it's some event worth watching, my response...

[​IMG]

But then, I don't watch the PaedBC.

• Like Like x 3
  13. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

You can decide wether it's worth watching or not, it's a nice Saturday night with some mostly nice music and some suspense at the end, obviously it's not the most important event in the universe but it's a cool show.

This year problem with the UK IMO is that the song was so uninspired, it just sounded like an average John Newman song, even other pop songs had some element of originality and other songs were completely crazy or quirky. Maybe there was some political agenda, due to Brexit, but the public would have at least shown a bit of love if the song was actually good, but to get 0 political interests are not enough :D

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I would like to point out - this year's competition was viewed by 7.4 million people in the UK - the highest number for at least 6 years, so I don't think they're going to drop it next year because we got 0 - we got 0 in 2003 and the 2004 comp went ahead. Thing is, we're in the "big 5" so we automatically qualify (I suppose that may be why the BBC doesn't care, it's guaranteed chap & popular TV and they don't have to fork out to host it)

• Like Like x 1
  15. fabdiva

I think the UK has more chance of winning Eurovision then the Football World Cup but we still enter that each time. I mean we last won Eurovision 25 years ago, England last won the World Cup 55 years ago (and still goes on about it) - Just don't view it as a serious matter of pride and enjoy the spectacle.

• Like Like x 1
  16. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Actually England are in a great position to win both the World Cup and the Euros. This current generation of players are the best we’ve had for years. As for Eurovision the whole thing is a complete joke. Politics and cosying up to your neighbours is the name of the game. To be honest I think the BBC should stop using my licence fee money to fund the whole sham. Put it this way the UK could have fielded someone like Ed Sheeran or David Bowie if he was still alive to sing our song and we would still have got 0 points especially this year because of Brexit. Sour grapes? Nah just the truth. This years UK entry wasn’t the best but neither was it the worst either. I mean have you heard the one that won!?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. fabdiva

Yes, the Italian entry was pretty decent and has been getting UK airplay, it charted at 17, the UK entry was a lot lower! - I think the UK entry was too mid table - and if you appeal to all countries but only enough to get mid table that's how you get a nul points. UK could have placed top 20 with every country but only top 10 get points.

BBC enter Eurovision because as long as you don't win you get a lot of cheap and popular telly - 12hrs worth by the time you include the Semi Finals and for the rough cost of half an hour of drama, a couple of episodes of Eastenders or about 10 mins of Match of the Day.

• Like Like x 1
  18. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Decent? Ok if you say so. :D Since when was the UK airplay chart a really good reliable barometer of what actually makes a good song?

I know which is the better value for money and it isn’t Eurovision.

So by your own admission the voting / results system is flawed. If the UK entry appealed to all countries albeit mid table as the in their top 20 possibly? then the overall results should have shown us finishing half way up the final table. Nil points is hardly a fair reflection then.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1