No Custom Liveries For Caltrain/lirr?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by acela2163, May 17, 2021.

1. acela2163

acela2163 Well-Known Member

With the M3 and M7 now compatible with the livery editor, I wanted to play around with custom skins on the LIRR, but I found that there was no option to select different liveries for either train, I could only change the train length like before the update. Looking through my other routes, I saw the same was true of the Caltrain MP36PH-3C and Bilevel Cab Car. I was wondering if this is the same for everyone and, if so, when/if they custom liveries will be enabled for timetable mode?

• Like Like x 1
  2. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Same for me on lirr

3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I have the issue with LIRR on Xbox

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well I never understood why trains lenght for LIRR is under the liveries to begin with. It was a silly concept to begin with, and now it even conflicts with the livery designer.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Illegal Prime

Illegal Prime Member

This also happens on IOW along with the aforementioned routes.

6. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

Hiya,
    This is a known limitation in the way the LIRR timetable needs to be setup to provide trains made of multiple pairs of units.

The recent project by the Preservation Crew did work to resolve this and make it consistent with other routes/trains and straight away found that it cannot be resolved without a core change to TSW2.

Custom liveries in LIRR are only available via the Scenario Planner.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dinosbacsi

But why? I mean there are other routes that feature multiple units coupled together as well, no? And they don't seem to have this problem.

And before the M3 add-on, the LIRR didn't need the livery selector to change train length. You simply saw all services in one list and the service you selected determined what length train you get. I never understood why with the arrival of the M3, this needed to be put into the livery selection. Couldn't it work by simply selecting your train, then the service determining the train length, like it used to? Then the livery selector could be used for what is really is, and your whole consist would be using your selected livery, for example.

I mean I understand that this cannot work as it is now because of who knows what kind of limitations, but then there clearly was not enough thought put into the this when the livery system was created. I really hope you guys can overhaul it with a better one soon or at some point, because in it's current form it's just going to be a similar limiting factor for who knows how many more routes in the future?

• Like Like x 2
  8. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I do remember back in tsw2020 there indeed was no need to select a car consist. You just picked a train and a service and the rest was history. I didnĀ“t really get why they added the option to separate services based on the number of cars (switch livery) when the original system was fine to begin with.

Clearly with this limitation of the livery designer, not much thought was put into this method.

DTG=Good Ideas, Poor execution at times

• Like Like x 2
  9. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Personally, why not do a new timetable like u did with rapid transit?

10. acela2163

acela2163 Well-Known Member

Okay, what about Caltrain? I can't select custom liveries for the MP 36 or bi level cab car.

11. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

Hiya.

The introduction of the M3 was where the timetable setup changed for LIRR. No other route/timetable encounters the arrangement needed for LIRR to my knowledge. Having investigated and tried to make LIRR consistent with other timetables for this functionality, all I know is that it needs a core change to TSW2 which is outside the ability of the Preservation Crew.

Why not make another timetable? A change is needed to TSW2 not the timetable, so this would not progress anything. Also the expectations of a new timetable for LIRR are much larger than this aspect. Improved signalling is needed before considering a new timetable.

What about Caltrain? The Preservation Team are starting to look at Peninsula Corridor so we will investigate.

• Like Like x 2
  12. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your work on peninsula, it's my nr1 route and it will even be better if you can fix the small errors with it (like the weird uv mapping)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dinosbacsi

I know it's probably still quite a while away (as the rest of the old routes will probably all have their preservation update rounds before that), but can you give any insight if there are indeed plans to improve the signalling/ATC and give LIRR a proper timetable?

• Like Like x 2
  14. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1