Latest Sale

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daytona, Sep 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I bought this route in the last sale as it was cheaper than JTs who have never included it in a recent sale. This price is lower than I paid in April, but to be honest, I was very disappointed with it. It definitely needs updating and I have had a conversation with the developers and there isn’t an update on the horizon Version 1.0 is what you get. The route is ok, but I would rather be driving some of the better Swiss routes on TS. It’s your choice, if you want to purchase it.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  2. peterchambers

peterchambers Active Member

Heidi is a bit old, quirky, single track,atmospheric with quaint scenery. Not cheap normally. I like everthing swiss and need it to run scearios with GE 4/4/II, the free Steam loco, Heidi, the blue Krokodil 6/6I 412 and the brown krokodil 6/6I. I like all the old swiss locos and trains from Simtrain and the line completes the collection so to speak. If you just want a good Swiss route a bit more modern then the better known ones would suit you better. Gotthardbahn, for instance. Or Arosa, Surselva etc. If you do like old, quaint stuff then have a look at SBB1 as well. The TS version of Arosa is as good as the TSW2 version. Bear in mind that I may have odd taste when considering my recomendation !

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

SBB1 is ok but recently I swapped out the track for something better and added better speed boards that show in the F3 HUD

Simtrain staff can be a bit awkward.
    I was asking them about a problem with the TEE unit and ended up fixing it myself - with help from someone on the UKTS Forums

4. deedee3382

deedee3382 Member

Hey I'm not that old yet, quirky maybe yes, hehe.
    Interesting to discover that I share a name with a route. That's probably not enough to convince me to buy it though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Midweek madness now on. Some nice bargains out there. Until May 28th

• Like Like x 2
  6. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

For anyone reading this, and new to Train Sim World (including porawit who asked about this a few days ago), an initial purchase of Train Sim World 2020 for £9.99 will get you:

- Great Western Express (UK) (express (125), commuter and freight)
    - Long Island Rail Road (US) (commuter)
    - Main Spessart Bahn (Germany) (express, regional and freight)
    - Northern Trans Pennine (UK) (express, regional and freight)

And then a purchase of Train Sim World 2 for £11.24 will get you:

- Sand Patch Grade (US) (freight)
    - Bakerloo Line (UK) (London metro)
    - Koln Aachen (Germany) (high speed and regional)

Buying the Train Sim World 2020 routes will grant you those routes in Train Sim World 2 as well...... so you would get seven routes in all (including about x15 locos/trains) , for £21.23 in total.

This is an incredibly good pack to get started in Train Sim World, with a great variety of trains (diesels, electrics, high speed, underground, etc...)..... for a very good price. Links are here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/530070/Train_Sim_World_2020/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282590/Train_Sim_World_2/

If you are new, and you want to buy more DLC content, and you buy TSW 2020 first (recommended), then buy the DLC for TSW 2020 (and you will get them for TSW 2 as well).

7. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

This has been posted in the wrong forum... This is for TS, NOT TSW...

8. synthetic.angel

I am half-tempted to say that this was intentional, because the topic is about a sale, and my post was about a starter pack for people that are "new" to TSW.... so that could include lots of TS2012 players.... (and actually, I quite like this justification, in retrospect.....).

But in reality (and all honesty), my decision process was that I saw two threads by Daytona regarding the latest sales, one of which was marked "General Discussion", and the other was marked "PC Discussion" and I actually thought to myself - "I better not post this under PC Discussion, because that will probably really rile up someone that is completely intolerant to any deviation in discussion regarding a cross-platform game....."

.... and to my abject horror - guess what....? Yep - the "PC Discussion" based "sales" thread is actually about the cross-platform title, Train Sim World 2, but the "General Discussion" thread is the PC only TS2012 only one....

So.... I am deeply sorry to have interrupted your train of thought, or whatever. And I will whip myself with some SATA cables (the "L" shaped ones for low profile motherboards, for added bite..... and I will make sure that I never do that again.

Okay - it's time for me to play some Fallout 76.... On PS4.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

76... should go give it a go at some point, loved FO3, FO4 felt dumbed down. Currently enjoying Tamriel Unlimited, only thing that spoils it is hamfisted online players pelting about everywhere. Wish there was an offline mode :)

10. synthetic.angel

Well, I would say give it a go, but then I am biased because Fallout 76 has already consumed 1500+ hours of my time. It took over a year for the game to be playable though, and for the story and NPC characters to be properly fleshed out. It's still not a true FO style story brancher, like Vegas, or the earliest ones (and/or their massive modding community made content).

But, I would say that Fallout 76 has more railway related content than the earlier ones, including underground railways, mainline freight railways and a suspended hyperloop monorail thing. All devastated of course, after the nuclear war with China. I quite liked the Railroad clan of synthetic humans in Fallout 4, but the only hint at their existence in FO 76 is the Railway Rifle which fires railway sleeper nails. And if you get the right legendary buffs, then a Railway Rifle can be worth as much as 10,000 Nuka Cola caps - or you might get one in for 8,000 caps if another player is having a sale on. Pretty nifty armour penetration if you load it with uranium tipped ammo.

I would love it if DTG, or someone in the Train Simulator community, made a Fallout themed route for Train Simulator, you know, for the PC only. Maybe they could call it Train Simulator 2076....? ;-) But knowing me.... even if I saw such a wonderful railway related and simulator related project come to fruition.... I would probably wait to buy it in a sale, whether that sale is a Steam sale, a DTG sale, or a third party sale. Any sale will do if it is a sale, and involves trains and railway or railroad related items, even if it has a Fallout 76 post apocalyptic theme running through it. A bit like British Rail in the 1970s.

Anyway - I hope I haven't strayed off the topic for this thread, according to the very strict tastes of anyone reading this post. ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  11. ntypeman

Isn't that what happens on forums??? It's quite funny when things go off at a tangent...!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. ntypeman

No need to be too hard on yourself... It was only meant as a tongue in cheek throw away comment anyway!!! ;)

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

You can do even better. Get the biggest collection in TSW from the Digital Deluxe edition, getting Peninsula Corridor, and all routes would then go into TSW2. Sadly, that bundle is at full price currently, so this leads to a new question: does this conversion only happen once? Once you buy TSW2, is the changeover no longer valid? I'm imagining getting a route for TSW on a better sale price and then having it load into TSW2 if I see a good deal.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  14. dunkrez

I've mulled over this idea before now, perhaps taking a mad max style train and cargo from one perilous destination to the next, offloading supplies. Perhaps one for the future, and probably not done using the current TS engine, or indeed the TSW engine.

Back on topic, the sale looks good, but I've pretty much hoovered up everything of interest. More content please DTG :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cyclone

Yes, we've spent thousands, but we want MORE. LMAO

16. dunkrez

"Please, sir, I want some more."
    The master at DTG was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupefied astonishment at the customer for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The dev team were paralysed with wonder; the interns with fear.
    "What!" said the master at length, in a faint voice.
    "Please, sir," replied the customer, "I want some more."
    The master aimed a blow at the customer's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arms; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.

~ Charles Dickens, 1838

17. Cyclone

...did you just liken Mike to a healthy fatso?

I mean, at least you declared him healthy. He might like that.

18. synthetic.angel

Well, it's good to know that you still have a tongue.

Whilst administering my punishment for posting in a TS2012 thread, I managed to catch my tongue with my "cat-o-nine-SATA cables", ripping my tongue in half. I will eventually learn to speak again, but I think that the new fork shape might well put people off. Maybe I should get a tongue piercing for each side. Maybe there will be a two for one piercing sale at some point, that I could take advantage of. Only time will tell.

19. dunkrez

All characters and events in this post... even those based on real people -- are entirely fictional. All celebrity voices are impersonated... poorly. The poster uses coarse language and due to its content, it should not be read by anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  20. synthetic.angel

Same here - at the right price point anyway (and I am talking about TS2012 here, not TSW). But I am always happy to expand my interests......

I haven't completely gone through what is on offer this time in the Steam sale (for TS2012), but something has caught my eye, which is a 1930s/40s San Francisco bay area tram and freight route (all electric, including the freight), for about £10. And I am now on the look out for reasonably priced steam engines - so I think I might pick up a couple of those as well.

As an aside..... I am almost on the verge of investing in AP's Classes 37, 50, 319 and 411/2, when they next come on sale.... although I understand that they do not work with a gamepad (?), which is an immersion killer for me (and the only thing that has held back my purchases so far). Maybe I should send them an email and confirm whether their stuff is really borked, when it comes to non-keyboard control.

21. dunkrez

Is it an accessibility issue or just a personal preference? If the former, then AP should do whatever they can to open up their products to everyone.. if the former, meh, I can live without creature comforts when PC simming - don't let it discourage you, they are top notch trains and show TSW up quite a lot.

22. synthetic.angel

Immersion only for me - but it would be accessibility for others, I guess. I actually find using a gamepad quite immersive - you forget that you are using it, but a keyboard always feels like "Right, let's use a keyboard for this task - now which is the key that I need to use, and where is it....?" I could get a Raildriver, I suppose... Maybe if the Raildriver ever comes up in a sale, then I will consider buying it.

I also often like to use a VR headset for an undistracted cinema view, which means that I cannot see where the keyboard is at all, let alone the keys themselves.... ;-)

Ironically, it was the sound of the Class 465 in "the other railway related simulation software that is produced by DTG"...... plus the emergence of the TS2012 AP Class 411/2 that made me think.... hmmm.... I should give the AP stuff a try. I will keep an eye out for the next AP sale, and maybe dive in at that point.

• Like Like x 1
  23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why would people wish to buy a Sim that you can do less in than TS2021?
    TSW2020 was sort of ok in places and being able to run the default service with different motive power gave some interest.
    So DTG made an improved version TSW2 and took that function away from us - Why?????

You can shunt TSW2 in to a long dark tunnel

• Like Like x 1
  24. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

I note that the metropolitan line, S7+1 and S8 stock are all in sale. Is it worthwhile getting them from steam?

I've had a quick look on the just trains website and there seems to be a difference in the scenarios that are bundled. For example, on Steam the S7+1 works with London - Aylesbury but the just trains version works with the metropolitan line.

Can I still run the virtual District line with the steam versions?

25. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

As far as I know the Steam version is completely broken

26. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you buy any Just Trains product, route or stock directly from Just Trains or wait for them in the JTs sale or when they include them in a stream, there is normally an offer for the week of their stream. The discount is better than Steam and if they produce an add on or a new product at a later date then, owners of the Just Trains purchased Metropolitan route will get a discount.

On June 1st they will release their new extended SWE to Reading route package which includes five routes and only those who have bought either SWE or Bristol to Exeter from Just Trains will get a 30% discount.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  27. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Thanks for the replies and advice.I will go straight to Just Trains. Regardless of any sale, the Metropoltan Line and S7+1 stock is cheaper than buying both separately.

28. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The AP stuff I've bought so far (the class 158/159 both versions and the class 175) do work with a controller. Power and brakes both work but the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the AWS/alerter acknowledge/cancel.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. synthetic.angel

So - I have done a sweep of the sales offerings on Steam for TS2012, and to my surprise, it isn't just the Sacramento route that's getting a green light for me.... I found a further three routes (Peace & Feather Rivers, plus the RETB W/Highland Line extension), plus a dozen (mostly quite old) loco DLCs (steam, plus UK/US diesels) that have finally reached the right pricepoint - so that will make my wallet about £70 lighter in all.

So yeah - it's a very good sale this time.... ;-)

Maybe I should round it off to £100 with the £30 Class 411/2 DLC with AP, after all.... (when I watch the AP promotional video for that EMU, I swear I can almost smell the brakes when I hear them screaching.......).

• Like Like x 1
  30. Cyclone

Yeah, I'm finding more of interest in this sale than I expected. My budget is not going to like me.

Which is why "it doesn't work with a controller".

31. synthetic.angel

This is the only thing that is now holding me back from making a swathe of purchases with AP.... Probably about £150-£200 for starters... If I pay ultra-premium prices for ultra-premium visual/audio quality, then I want to be able to enjoy the purchases using, as a minimum, ultra-basic controller functionality.

To be fair to AP, they are quite explicit about "no external controllers" - but it was this statement, as applied to their latest EMU, the 411/2, that drove me away this morning when I visited their website to buy their stuff........ just after having transferred £500 into my petty cash account to facilitate the purchases.

When AP can be bothered to map a PC controller to their products (like they have done with the versions of their rolling stock available via Steam), then my wallet will ease open, and floods of cash will head their way. Maybe the 411/2 will appear on Steam at some point, with gamepad functionality, in which case Valve will get a large chunk of the money that could have ended up in AP's coffers this morning.

So - I now have more cash to spend in the Steam sale then. ;-)

32. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

In this Midweek Madness sale I picked up routes I needed for other 3rd party routes such as Harrogate Loop and North East England.
    I was able to get Trent Valley, West Highland Line extension, Wherry Lines, China Clay and Weardale along with West Highland Line South for under £55.

As for the AP stuff and controller compatibility, yes it is annoying that certain functions work with the controller and others don't. It doesn't bother me that much as I use the keyboard for other functions anyway (cab switching, loading/unloading, horn and camera controls).

• Like Like x 1
  33. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Glad so many have picked up some bargains, in the midweek madness sale which ends tomorrow afternoon, if you miss out it is not long to wait for the next steam sale which begins for two weeks on Thursday June 24th at 5pm UTC. The June sale will see bigger discounts as, like Christmas it is a flagship sale.

34. synthetic.angel

You do not need a keyboard/mouse for cab switching, loading/unloading, or the horn/whistle - all of these can be pointed and clicked with a gamepad, using the on-screen pop-up action menu (which I find less immersion breaking than using a keyboard..... ;-O ), [or you can press down on the L3 stick for the horn.]

I actually do have a wireless keyboard with trackpad to hand for initial set-up of cabs, because the only other function that I REALLY need on a gamepad is a [crosshair/ mouse-pointer selctor] zoom, which I can do with a headset on, with the trackpad (sort of... LOL....)!.

I have actually bought a Logitech many-extra-buttoned gamepad purely for TS2012, and I am hoping to be able to map RMB/Wheel (mouse), or RMB/"drag out" (on trackpad) to a combination on the new gamepad (say, a spare left hand button, and the [left hand] joystick, with [right-hand joystick] hopefully still working for "look"). I haven't tried yet - but if the set-up allows me to steal any key/controller bindings for TS2012 and re-map them, then maybe the AP Class 411/2 will be in my EMU depot at some point.

[ADDED: All I really need is to be able to activate the crosshair, and then I will be fully liberated from the keyboard]

Not soon though. Too many new toys to try out, from the current Steam sale... ;-)

[EDITED]: To correct description of controller controls/issues in TS2012

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  35. ntypeman

What a fantasy... Being able to spend £500 on TS...!!!;)

• Like Like x 2
  36. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Great purchase and sensible to buy from JT plus you have earned points towards your next purchase from JT
    Metropolitan is my favourite TS route, you will enjoy it, so realistic too.

37. synthetic.angel

LOL.... although I have spent well over £500 on TS2012.... I have never done that in one go.. ;-)

I get nervous when the tally in Steam reaches £100 (in any one sitting).... and this time I spilled over that mark.... by about 30p...... ;-O

I am a bit of sucker for the oldie loco packs at £2 to £3 - and this time there were quite a lot of them listed on Steam that I had not previously purchased (I picked up about twenty in the end...). Google knows when I will find the time to play them - but when I do... LOL.... I will have quite a lot of choice....!

(The other £400 is waiting for a PS5 to appear..... and if that doesn't happen soon, then a large chunk of it might go to Armstrong Powerhouse.... if they get their gamepad policy straightened out).

38. Cyclone

Seriously, just play with the keyboard. I find that once you get used to it, it's actually just as easy, if not easier, to play with the keyboard. I still haven't mastered the cab switch commands and some things still need to be done by mouse (speed set on the L-B 377 was the bane of me, finally figured it out for the scenario I wanted to use it on and retaped it), but once you figure out the keys for the various brakes and which one you need to use, all you need to do is know when to brake and you're good. If one can use a joystick at the same time, I'm sure some would have their hands over the throttle there instead of over the WASD keys (including the reverser). Custom programmable gamepads to certain keys and key combos also make for a genius setup.

39. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

40. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I got that too. After downloading, it shows two applications the new version 2 and the old version. For those that didn’t buy the original, RSSLO has provided both routes in the package which is great as it gives you more scenarios and a different aspect of the route.

If you did purchase the original Version 2 is free.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  41. synthetic.angel

I am fairly familiar with keyboards, having used them almost constantly since 1982..... ;-)

I'd be classed as a touch-typist (almost 60 wpm) if I were to be tested (although I don't really consider myself to be one as I have worked with people that can do 110 wpm, blind-folded). Suffice to say, I am not scared of keyboards. I also have good reactive muscle memory for the AWSD and QZAD clusters, as these are the standard key clusters for direction controls used on keyboards in games in the 1980s, to cater for keyboards that didn't physically feature arrow keys.....

I will eventually try and set-up my new gamepad (I haven't tried yet), if I need to. Actually - the only thing I need to completely liberate myself from the keyboard is for the "activate crosshair" function to work (press down on R3 stick...?). If this created a mouse pointer that reacted with a button to select objects in the cab, then I'd be sorted - but I will start another thread asking a question on this, as I have never managed to get the crosshair to appear (hence a reliance on the wireless keyboard's trackpad for cab-set-up).

I ought to try and resolve this now, having invested so much in the latest sale on Steam..... ;-)

42. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Now the Mid Week Steam sale has finished DTG have started their own version
    https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/sale
    Be careful not to buy anything you already own - refunds are not as easy.

Sale is on until 08th June at 1700 BST

43. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

DTG are really only extending the steam sale which would have been better served during a period when the steam summer sale ends on the 8th July and the next steam sale for Hallowe'en at the end of October, when there is no sale for three and a half months.

44. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

They do sales quite often, last year when TS2021 was released there was a sale if I don't remember wrong, then there was another sale some weeks before the Halloween one with big discounts on some classics, I remember I got the LA-SD.

45. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

You’re right Nacho, but it doesn’t mean they will repeat it this year. They had a sale running concurrently with steam last year from 25/6 to 6/7 and then another on 16/7 to 27/7 followed by one on 15/10 to 26/10 and then on 12/11to19/11

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  46. Cyclone

You are mistaken. They had a sale in July and another in September, the final chance to get the 2020 bundles on Steam at its sale price before its immediate removal to prep for 2021. I am still mad because I didn't catch that one and missed my chance at that Swiss bundle, so I'm left hoping the routes find their way into future bundles because they are bloody expensive on their own. Even on sale.

I am hopeful that the current Swiss bundle gets just slightly lower. Still better than getting one of the routes.

47. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

DTGs sale ends tomorrow.

48. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. Cyclone

Not as good as their last sale, which was 50% off. I cleaned up on that one. But still a good discount on the new CP train there, which might come to Steam like the others but at a much higher price for the convenience involved (and to pay other parties).

50. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member