Louisville & Nashville / Family Lines Dixie Route: Nashville, Tn To Chattanooga, Tn

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Daniel Gibbs, May 26, 2021.

1. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

I would like to send a route proposal to DTG and the 3rd party route builders: part of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad's Dixie Route, running 151 route miles from Nashville, TN to Chattanooga, TN.

Originally run by the Nashville, Chattanooga, & St. Louis Railroad, the L&N took over the route after buying out the NC&StL in 1957. Several passenger trains served the route, including the famous Dixie Flyer and Dixie Limited. Sadly, many of the L&N's passenger trains had been discontinued prior to 1970. The L&N was bought out by the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad in 1982, and a short time later, the SCL merged with several other railroads and became the Seaboard System. The Seaboard System finally became CSX in 1986. The section of the Dixie Route from Nashville to Chattanooga still runs today under CSX's Chattanooga Subdivision.

The route shall be set during the early diesel era of the L&N. The route shall include the classic EMD F7, EMD FP7, EMD SD40-2, and EMD GP38-2 as the main road power, as well as the EMD GP7 and GP9 for both road power and switching duties.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

I like the idea, and the fact this could come easily since all the rolling stock already exists, but I also feel that would inhibit it selling as well. Perhaps swap the SD40-2 with an SD35 as something new to add to the table and would probably rope people in a bit more. Or even some Alcos.
    [​IMG]
    Though perhaps these would work better as a DLC.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel Gibbs

DTM could probably do the SD35 as well as the other ALCO's. He's known for making vintage equipment.

4. Daniel Gibbs

And not to mention, for a change, it would definitely be nice to see some routes in Tennessee! Tennessee is one of the few states not in TS yet.

5. NEC Railfan

Well besides Miami and the Monroe sub, I honestly can't think of any more South-eastern routes.

6. Daniel Gibbs

I've got numerous ones in mind, as I do live in the southeast!

7. NEC Railfan

You mean as in ones released in TS?

8. Daniel Gibbs

I have numerous southeastern routes in mind that SHOULD be brought to TS is what I was saying.

9. NEC Railfan

Oh I get it now, and I do want to see some southeast routes come to fruition as well, particularly Norfolk and Western, the RF&P, and the Southern even.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TommyPicklesfan1992

TommyPicklesfan1992 Member

Speaking of The L&N, I will also love to see The L&N/Southern( Now CSX/Norfolk Southern ) Line from Atlanta to Chattanooga.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NEC Railfan

A bit of a stretch, but it's about the same length as Marias Pass.

12. Daniel Gibbs

The RF&P Sub is available on the Workshop, although it is set in the modern era.

13. Daniel Gibbs

I did forget to mention something. It would be nice if DTM could make some ALCO Centuries like the ones you pictured. But there's a problem on that. He doesn't have any ALCO 251-12 nor any ALCO 251-16 sounds, and it's difficult to find anyone who can (or is willing to) snag some accurate ALCO 251-12 and -16 sounds.

14. TommyPicklesfan1992

TommyPicklesfan1992 Member

[​IMG]

The Dixie Route: Nashville, Tn To Chattanooga, Tn is also perfect to run The General 4-4-0 during the 1962 Civil War Centennial since it visited Nashville on July 6th 1962.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  15. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Never had anything in the area I think, go for me.

16. Daniel Gibbs

DTM now has ALCO 251 sounds at last! There's no telling when he might make any ALCO Centuries, but he's very tempted to make the C630 under CSX license. It would include the SCL, L&N, C&O, and Family Lines.

17. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

That’s great news. The 251 engined Alcos are the big gap in the TS loco fleet.

18. Daniel Gibbs

With High Iron Simulations being into CSX routes, and with DTM being one of his partners, on second thought, I think the route should actually include the U30C, SD40-2, SD35, GP38-2, GP38AC, GP7/GP9, and SW switchers. Heck, I think some of the locos should also include both the L&N Grey & Yellow and the Family Lines.

19. Daniel Gibbs

Yeah. A lot of us have been dying for ALCO Centuries. Heck, I definitely wouldn't mind the MLW Centuries either!