Tsw: The West Somerset Railway

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 22, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Arriving May 24th, Train Sim World: West Somerset Railway recreates Britain’s longest standard gauge heritage line in authentic detail, and today we’re going to visit the stations.

View the Store Page before TSW: West Somerset Railway releases!

Minehead

Easily the most famous station of the West Somerset Railway, Minehead is the line’s coastal terminus and dates back to 1874. Minehead was closed with the railway in 1971, then reopened in preservation in 1976, and is today the core of all heritage operations with engine sheds, sidings, two long platforms, and a new turntable which was introduced in 2008.

[​IMG]

Dunster

The rural station of Dunster again dates back to 1874 and it was built to serve a small village and to bring visitors to the nearby Dunster Castle, giving the Grade II listed station building its grand appearance. The station also plays home to a goods shed and siding, which in preservation is where the civil engineering team is based.

[​IMG]

Blue Anchor

Situated right alongside the beaches of the Bristol Channel, Blue Anchor station is a prominent one as it is home to the first passing loop, which was installed by the GWR in 1904. The nearby goods siding was used from the 1930s to stable a camp coach for holiday makers, and today, a total of 3 coaches are present in order to provide accommodation for the railway’s volunteers.

[​IMG]

Washford

The second highest station on the West Somerset Railway, Washford, lies among the Brendon Hills and make for a very challenging climb into either side of the single platform, included the steepest on the line, one mile of 1:65 (1.5%). Today, passengers who alight here would typically do so for the local Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust Museum.

[​IMG]

Watchet

When the West Somerset Railway was built, its original terminus was Watchet, this 1862 station marked the end of the line and was the reason for its existence. The harbour town was once a key Bristol Channel port and had been since the Middle Ages. Getting freight traffic to this port by rail was considered essential at the time, however today it is home to the Watchet Boat Museum.

[​IMG]

Doniford Halt

Originally, when the West Somerset Railway was in full service, no station existed where Doniford Halt does today, instead it was a brand new halt brought into existence after the line’s opening in preservation, built specifically to serve a nearby holiday camp in 1987. The halt itself is a request stop meaning trains only call there when passengers inform guard or signal the driver.

[​IMG]

Williton

As the mid-way point of the West Somerset Railway, Williton station is another to have a passing loop, as soon after the Minehead extension was opened, the line was subject to bottlenecks. Its layout is similar in design to another station along the route, Bishops Lydeard, however today Williton stands out as being home to the locomotive workshops.

[​IMG]

Stogumber

Opened with the rest of the original section in 1862, Stogumber serves its nearby village with a rather unique station, the single platform has a shelter upon it with the main station building on the other side of the rails themselves. A passing loop was once nearby this station, however this was lost in the 1960s when it never received necessary repairs.

[​IMG]

Crowcombe Heathfield

Built around 2 miles away from the village itself, Crowcombe Heathfield station is one which has seen plenty of developments since construction; the addition, and eventual extension of passing loops and a 2nd platform helped to combat capacity concerns. This is the highest station on the line, again with steep uphill gradients present on approach in either direction.

[​IMG]

Bishops Lydeard

As mentioned previously, Bishops Lydeard shares features with Williton and has grown in a similar manner since the station’s opening in 1862. For most, this is the gateway to the West Somerset Railway, the main car park is located next to the southbound platform and regular services terminate here before making their way to Minehead.

[​IMG]

Norton Fitzwarren

Used more for special occasions, the Norton Fiztwarren platform has existed in its current form since 2009, although originally built in 1873, and it does not exist on the regular timetable. It is situated at the base of the West Somerset Railway where a junction to the main line from Bristol exists, and it is thought that the site around it could see some development in the future.

[​IMG]

From May 24th, you will be able to visit each of these historic locations in detail, travel past them in the classic BR Class 47 and 09 locomotives, walk across each platform in person and take in the incredible locale of the West Somerset Railway, coming very soon to Train Sim World!

Screenshots and images displayed in this article may depict content that is still in development. The licensed brands may not have been approved by their respective owner and some artwork may still be pending approval.

• Like Like x 10
  2. AlexHud13

AlexHud13 New Member

When will it be coming to Xbox

• Like Like x 1
  3. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Gronks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. AlexHud13

AlexHud13 New Member

?????

• Like Like x 1
  5. Growler374

Growler374 New Member

6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

As Alex wrote: ?????????????????????????

In other words, translations, please?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wilbnil

Wilbnil Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic can't wait to play this one!

8. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

What's with the 2272 and 0000 headcodes? It seems that random headcodes are used in real life, but I've never seen one that strayed from the #A## format. 0000 is also particularly odd to see.

9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Clicking the store link didn't take me to the page for this add-on, but hunting around proved quite informative: nearly everything TSW is available at 50% off the original price. Looks like I'll not be buying this add-on for a while. My budget thanks you, folks!

10. Wilbnil

Wilbnil Well-Known Member

I think they used it when it wasn't required to have headcodes anymore.

11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Looks good, but I think I will wait for a decent discount. My wishlist is longer than my budget at the moment ...

12. Boyka91

Boyka91 Active Member

Is this coming out for Xbox ?

13. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Gronk is the nickname given to the Class 08 and Class 09 shunters. Duff is the nickname given to the Class 47. A lot of British trains have nicknames. For example the Class 66 is affectionately known as a Shed.

14. Boyka91

Boyka91 Active Member

Again is this coming for the Xbox ?

15. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

No, not until they port it over.

16. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

The lastest Info on DLC for the Xbox Version is that they plan content parity with PC (excluding HH). So this will most likely be coming for Xbox aswell at some point, but not quite yet. I would Expect RT, NEC and then WSR. They havent announced any news about new DLC for the Xbox Version at this point. (But theres at least an answer from Steve about something Xbox in this Article: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw-the-brush-rush.4792/#post-31789 )

17. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

The 0000 headcode is quite commonly used particularly on heritage railways though many try to keep standard headcodes as was used when the trains were still in active service. It was also used when locomotives were doing light locomotive movements, shunt or PoS movements, depot/shed movements (though many were assigned actual headcodes for these types of moves) and once they were no longer required to be displayed (from 1976) on the real railway and prior to the introduction of the "domino" marker panels.

[​IMG]

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  18. Dan_Der_Man

Dan_Der_Man Active Member

I wonder if it may be possible to have the GWR HST seen A) on the mainline or B) on a rail tour on the WSR in the future?

• Like Like x 1
  19. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Is that picture a hint for future DLC? LOL

20. TrainSim-Steve

I believe this is what we're currently looking into Dan though I'm not sure you'd get any benefit seeing the HST on the main line - I'm sure you'd just want to drive it along the route :)

I wish davejc64! :)

21. Dan_Der_Man

Dan_Der_Man Active Member

Indeed, this would be awesome to be able to do, now we have a bit of content it would be amazing to use content on other routes
    Also, just wondering, how hard would it be (or is it possible) to make the 47 into a 57 for GWE (not asking for it to happen, just wondering). We also have some Mk3s in-game as well for the 57 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  22. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The 57 would require a completely new model, sounds and physics. You cannot simply reskin a 47 into a 57, it just wouldn’t look right.

23. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Also the Night Riviera, the GWR sleeper service using the Class 57, appears to run two services per day; one in each direction. So the current timetable on GWE would only end up with two additional services.

Unless they added some Class 57 freight services in as well.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  24. DaveTrain99

DaveTrain99 Well-Known Member

I like the sound of that

25. TrainSim-Steve

26. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

Can anyone help, every time I pass a signal, cross a road, go under a bridge this happens.

27. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Don't use the #2 camera. Whoever designed it thought it would be a good idea for it to avoid obstructions between the camera and the locomotive...as opposed to just avoiding obstructions that hit the camera. That is the single reason why I never touch the #2 camera.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

Thank you pschilik for your prompt reply. No. 2 camera is my favourite, No disrespect to you, but if DTG confirm what you have indicated and the above effect is programmed into the simulator, then i will not be buying any more DLC and may as well commit TSW to the bin.

29. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello Pure nostalgia! I'm sorry to break it to you, but that is indeed intended behavior, at least as of now.
    Please don't leave the TSW community though ;(

Cheers,
    ProfCreeptonius

• Like Like x 1
  30. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Use the No. 3 camera! It’s icy better anyway.

31. Course carriage

Course carriage Member

I have to join this, this eternal jumping of the Camera is super annoying and totally crazy. Please DTG, correct that.

32. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

Whilst in real life this would indeed not be possible, it is certainly the case in TS1 and most likely that of TSW that if you have a 4 character alpha-numeric display, then each digit within it can display all available characters. Due to the fact that three of the digits contain 0-9 and one digit contains A-Z in real life, it means that in simulator land all of them can show 0-9 and A-Z, due to the nature of the objects construction.

33. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

I have received this reply from DTG.

Thank you very much for providing a short video showing the problem you're reporting. This behaviour, which was to be a helpful feature that would only be noticed when an object was to intersect the camera's position, appears to not be behaving as intended. We have, therefore, escalated your concerns to the Development Team to investigate this further. We are unable to confirm at this time when this will be addressed but advise you to watch our official channels for news on product updates.

• Like Like x 2