Never Mind This Thread. I Got An Answer. No Need To Reply

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by aglomarsale, May 28, 2021.

1. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

I got the answer I was looking for. Replying to this thread isn't necessary anymore. If DTG Natster/any mod sees this, you can lock this thread. I didn't want to ping you as that might be annoying for you.)

i have a query. I use a 144Hz screen, but when I switch on Vsync, it always limits me to 60 fps. When i switch Vsync off, i get terrible screen tearing.

I'm not a technological expert, but would love to know why TSW2's "refresh rate" is limited to 60..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  2. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

There is a Max FPS option on the advanced settings tab, or it may be on your GPU settings?

3. aglomarsale

I'm aware there is that option, but when I switch on vsync it limits me to 60 fps instead of 144

Apparently a lot of people are limited to 60 FPS, not sure why or how

4. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Do you have G-SYNC enabled? I run it on 120hz with no tearing. MAX FPS = 120 fps, G-SYNC enabled (in monitor and in control panel).

5. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I think it’s just the way vsync works, that is where a gsync or freesync monitor helps but not everyone has one.
    With vsync off, is your average frame rate over 120 fps?

6. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

That is V-sync working as expected. V-Sync stops the tearing by sending always a complete frame to your monitor at fixed intervals (what we call tearing is your monitor displaying a partially completed frame that is still showing a piece of the previous frame). To do that, your graphics card tries to send 144 full images per second to your monitor. If it can not, it will try to send 120, if it can not it will try 60 and if it can not it will try 30.

The technology that allows your graphics card to send complete frames to your monitor as soon as it has one instead of sending them at fixed intervals is called Variable Refresh Rate. The most common implementations are Nvidia's G-sync and AMD's Free-sync. Your monitor needs to be compatible with one of these techonologies to be able to use it.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that you need a G-sync compatible monitor to do that. Not all monitors are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I think the answer to your problem is stated in your question. Leave VSync switched on.

I think that you will find that 60 FPS is adequate for reacting to any action on screen, in TSW. If you are leaving your response to a caution/stop signal to the last 1/100th of a second, then you need to improve your driving technique - look further down the track, anticipate the signalling.... and be prepared to react.

• Like Like x 3
  9. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

60 is more than adequate, no one is shooting at you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aglomarsale

I was just curious lol, I am more than happy with my fps. Just curious

11. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

I disagree. I am used to 120hz / 120 fps and higher fps just feels much more smoother to me. 60fps is enough on 60hz screen, but not on 144hz. There is a big difference - at least to me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

As above - if you want to run sync'd at 144hz then you must be achieving greater than 144fps without vsync on. If you're not, it'll just downscale - and that's why you're ending up at 60fps.

TSW doesn't (as far as I am aware) have any limits once you set it to "max", we specifically added that slider to remove the limits.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
  13. aglomarsale

Thanks for the reply Matt ! :)

14. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I second the G-Sync/FreeSync replies. If your monitor supports either of those technologies, turn off V-Sync and use those. As for how many fps are necessary, this is a highly subjective topic and different for anybody - for me personally, I don't even want to use Windows at 60fps anymore!