Br Class 66 Pass Vs Goods Option(can You Change It?)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SHINO BAZ, May 23, 2021.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

On the front dash of the br 66 is 2 option Pass or Goods lights.The Pass light is lite up while goods is not is there a way to change to goods or is the passenger light always on by default.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I've tried looking to see if there is a way of changing this and haven't found anything yet. It might be worth looking at the guide for it.

3. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Hi SHINO BAZ,
    Yes you can change the brake timing, if you look at the Electro Motive screen above the drivers window. Class 66 1.png

Use the arrow keys (in blue) to move to "Brake Timing" (in purple) you know what is selected by the two arrows either side of the text. Then press the "F3" button just above the arrows slightly to the right.
    Class 66 2.png

Then press the "F2" button highlighted in yellow.
    Class 66 3.png

You should now see "Brakes will use GOODS timing" on the screen. Pressing "F2" again will go back to passenger timing.
    Class 66 4.png

If you look at the instrument panel you will now see "GOODS" lit up. Class 66 5.png

Hope this helps :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  4. SHINO BAZ

Thank you,i did try going throu this system options but until now i didn't know what to change to do this,but it is strange it's preset to pass mode when the class 66 doesn't do much passenger moving in game.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wolfovizer

The brakes are quicker to respond (apply & release) in passenger mode compared to goods mode so it is easier to drive for newer players, its for the same reason that safety systems are turned off by default, if you want to use prototypical features you're more likely to know how to turn them on rather than a newbie to trains trying to turn them off :)

If you want a more detailed reason check out this forum I just found: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/passenger-goods-brake.129749/

Edit: Just played in a different Class 66 and its has a different way of changing modes so this method doesn't work for all 66's (I haven't worked out how to change that one yet) :)

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  6. SHINO BAZ

I was useing the eastcoatway br class 66 so i'm guessing the GWR br class 66 is the different one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wolfovizer

Yes the DB one one GWE is different, I also found a different one on South East High Speed when you change the livery there are two different EWS 66's, not sure how you tell the difference until you start the drive though, it was the one on the right in the menu. :)

8. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

I'm not as familiar with UK trains as with mainland EU trains but If I'm not mistaken even freight trains often run in passenger brakes because the goods brakes are usually only required above a certain train mass.

I remember there used to be a youtube channel called Freight rambler or something similar of a Class 66 driver and in it you could see him running in Pass-timings even though he had 20 (empty) HHA hoppers coupled.

• Like Like x 1
  9. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Shame is his videos vanished! He's now Railway 66 on YT & the channel is now empty.

10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Most Class 66 services are hauling intermodal containers which are quite light, not really any heavier than coaches, so the passenger setting works well. Loaded aggregate hoppers, however, should use the goods setting.

11. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Exactly. The choice of passenger vs goods timings depend on both the train length and train mass. Why?
    Well the reason to use either setting is to lower coupler forces. These forces can be thought of as the *product* of the difference in acceleration between the rear and front of the train and the train mass (approximately). If the train is not heavy the force will be low even if there is a difference in acceleration and if the train is short there won't be a significant difference in acceleration because the air signal will reach the rear of the train nearly at the same time as the front begins to brake.

The selection rule is simplified to depend on mass only (at least in UIC land) because this captures nearly all of the situations where the forces require Goods and Pass brakes, respectively.

In the US trains can be extremely long so even if the train is empty there can be significant coupler forces due to the very long time it takes for brakes to reach the rear (without DPU). But they always use the equivalent of Goods/G-brakes.

• Like Like x 2