Would You Support The Inclusion Of Another Heritage Route?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Iskra, May 30, 2021.

1. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

Obviously, we have the West Somerset Railway in game already and hopefully the development of steam traction will bring it to life a little bit more, as although it's a pleasant run it's not the most interesting especially with the 25mph line speed.

I'm wondering if there is any interest in the inclusion of another heritage/preserved route? I'm thinking mainly in UK terms here, but suggestions from elsewhere are of course welcome :)

If another heritage route were to be provided, I would suggest one of the following two choices as I think these two are more interesting than most other heritage routes:

1) The North Yorkshire Moors Railway. This line is long, is scenically very attractive and has some excellent locomotive traction. However what makes it cool is that it also runs steam and diesel trains on the mainline from Grosmont to Whitby. This would allow a longer route (but still at realistic length), but would allow players to run at higher speeds than on other preserved lines, as well as being a great bit of route on its own too. A Northern class 156 could also be provided for this section of route too. The NYMR also usually has at least 3 trains running on the track on a day, meaning there is quite a bit of traffic too.

A couple of videos I took recently from the Whitby end of the line:

2) The Great Central Railway. This heritage line has plenty of interesting locomotives and again it runs many services per day so there is lots of traffic. But, what makes it stand out to me, is that it has a section of double track enabling more trains, and allows trains to pass at speed. I also think that because of this, the speed limit is higher than 25mph on this section of the railway (?), which again is better than crawling along at 25mph in an express loco...

This railway also features demonstration freight trains and post office trains, which is also cool :)

What are your thoughts on more preserved railways in TS World 2?

• Like Like x 6
  2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I have been on the steam railway to Whitby before and it was a brilliant ride . Would be a good steam line to be added

• Like Like x 1
  3. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Mid Hants Railway and Paignton to Dartmouth Railway a nice contenders.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

I've never done the Mid Hants, but I agree the Paignton to Dartmouth railway is a stunning route; although I would hope the rest of the line up to Newton Abbot would be included if that route was released in TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

The Mid Hants has some fairly challenging gradients and nice scenery and is not too far from the South Western Mainline. Many others are likely great routes but I have not yet had the privilege of travelling on them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For the United States how about Whippany Railway Museum and for Germany there's Bochum Steam Railway & Wutachtalbahn. If Bochum Steam Railway was chosen that steam Heritage route can link up with Haputstrecke Rhein-Ruhr so that there's Steam and Electric locomotives on that route.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

Tourist Trains route I would like to see are The East Broad Top Railroad or the Strasburg Railroad in TSW 2

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

That could be a good route then, thanks for the info :)

9. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

Linking up with Rhein-Ruhr would be very interesting.

Was Wutachtalbahn released in Train Simulator 2XXX? I remember a route that looked and sounded similar in that game, which I enjoyed a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

Looking at the photos on wiki, that looks a great suggestion :)

11. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

I'd like to see heritage railways as they were in the day (late 50s, early 60s) perhaps extended to where services once ran.

12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Wutachtalbahn is on Train Simulator 2XXX and for Bochum Steam Railway Museum it does send steam locomotives on HRR then Duisburg Oberhausen-Arnhem Railway to the Netherlands.
    Video is by Gordon Thomas of a Deutsche Bundesbahn 001 steam locomotive on HRR

If there's a need for West German Heritage Electric locomotives
    HRR & RRO gives DB BR110

Video is by Eisenbahn NRW
    DB BR 103 on RRO

Note these videos have German language comments

That is if DTG is willing to make a West German route with DB BR103 110 Electric locomotives then layer onto RRO & HRR

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I enjoy the WSR, it's a lovely and more relaxed drive than the commuter lines, so yes, I'd like to see another heritage line. Especially if there's rolling stock that can be substituted or adds to railtour-alike services.

Although a UK heritage route would be nice, there's already a decent variety of railway eras represented in TSW. I'd be much more interested in a heritage route from the US or Germany, since those two countries don't have a lot of historic/heritage rolling stock (especially Germany which currenty is modern stuff only).

• Like Like x 2
  14. MrSouthernDriver

MrSouthernDriver Well-Known Member

I would really like the addition of the bo’ness railway in Scotland, I’ve always loved railways like that

• Like Like x 1
  15. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

Ah yes, that would be an interesting one. The Strathspey one looks good too and could be released with part of the Highland Mainline too- now that would be quite the route :D

16. igortheaa20

igortheaa20 New Member

17. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Other heritage railroads I'd like to see made:
    -Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge
    -Cumbres and Toltec
    -Cass Scenic RR
    -Niles Canyon RR
    -White Pass and Yukon RR
    -Grand Canyon RR
    -East Broad Top