Unreal Engine 5 In Early Access

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SaMa1, May 29, 2021.

1. SaMa1

SaMa1 Active Member

It was stated in TSW2 introduction that the game engine will be updated to UE5 eventually. Three days ago Epic released the early access version and now everyone can try the new engine. I tried it with a project from 4.26 and it worked flawlessly offering extraordinary improvement in image quality with no performance loss. Having followed different game engines for a decade I have never seen such a technical leap in game engine update and hope that TSW will introduce the UE5 as soon as it is coming out of early access.

Release video with new features can be seen here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ZnM7CH-v4

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It is not going to make it for this year, so I wouldn't count on it before the next yearly patch in september 2022 (and maybe even later). I bet DTG will try to get it as soon as possible, not just because it will improve quality but because it has many features that will increase productivity.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Amazing photorealism. It's interesting that they chose the Utah desert to illustrate the new features, when we have Cane Creek on the horizon. Not sure how UE5 would be utilized by TSW, other than the environment, but I'm eager to find out.
    Thanks, SaMa1, for linking the video.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

Very interesting news. No more light baking, I bet that will be welcome.
    might be worth one of us asking on the Road map stream

5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

You can certainly ask, but I'm pretty sure you'd get the same response that I got when I mentioned it on the forum a few months ago: At present there are no plans etc..It's fair enough, really, when they haven't even launched their 4.26 upgrade. I wonder if there's anything between 4.26 and 5.0.

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The bigger question for me is whether the extensions that DTG have themselves written are forward compatible... Otherwise the next big update after 2021 would be TSW3...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Bit of a stupid question , but do companies have to pay to use different versions of UE ?

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/download
    Looks like there's a commission basis, so unreal get one twentieth of all sales

9. LuPatrenX

LuPatrenX Member

Shouldn't be anything in-between. 4.26 makes the game ready for UE5.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  10. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Maybe a general made game with the engine. But not TSW. Alone the fact that they introduced a new "world-composition" will kill the ability for TSW to just jump over to UE5. DTG would basically need to revamp the whole world bulding tile straming system to fit to UE5. It is working way different to UE4. And since this is a major part of TSW, a fundamental part of the sims world creation, it would not change that fast as we could wish.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  11. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

There are never any easy answers - even going from 4.23 to 4.26 has been a heck of a lot of work for the team (months) - so I am not expecting 5.0 to be "easy" by any definition of the word. In fact, i'd pitch it more as "really bloomin hard".

We're not looking at 5.0 yet properly (i'm sure team members will be eagerly experimenting on their own however), it'll change a lot during it's Early Access period and meanwhile we have plenty to keep the team busy :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

"Early access" is another way of saying "public beta." I see no reason for DTG to jump early and try to rebuild the game on top of a buggy engine.