465 - I Want To Be Able To Drive It To More Places!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by markhazeldine, May 29, 2021.

1. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

I know this is more of a medium/long term request, but it's a simple one:

You gave us the amazing 465. I really want to be able to drive it on more than one part of one route! Now you're going to have a London Victoria model, we really need another SouthEastern route in the game, so we can take advantage of the 465 more.

Any route out of Victoria would be an obvious and easy option, and it would be tempting for DTG I'm sure to remake the Chatham Mainline, however, I would also love to see Charing Cross and/or Cannon Street in the game, so a route out of there, through the new London Bridge would be fantastic. Perhaps to a different destination. Something like Orpington or Tonbridge maybe.

• Like Like x 14
  2. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    The current route is too short.

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Hardly any 465s run along the Chatham Mainline between Bromley South and Rochester...

The best routes for the 465 would be VIC to Orpington or the North Kent lines to Dartford

• Like Like x 1
  4. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

They used to run frequently to places as far away as Dover before Southeastern got some more electrostars a couple of years back.

I do agree with the OP though, the 465 is brilliant but SEHS doesn't do it justice. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the South Eastern Main Line even just as far as Tonbridge, which would still provide plenty of interest. Chatham Mainline is alright but we already have that in TS and I'm sure many would prefer to see somewhere completely new in both sims. We also need a few more modern routes further north before we get another southern region route.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

465s are still very common on Victoria to Dover services (or at least were before the pandemic); they mostly run/ran fast services for some reason. The 377s do not run to Dover, although they did replace 465s on Victoria to Ashford services. I believe the run to Gillingham as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

First I'd like to see them running AI on SEHS, only bumping into 375s all the time.

7. ARuscoe

I live in Gillingham and hardly ever see 465s in the last few years, and it wasn't really the electrostars which kicked them off it was the 700s
    Up until Thameslink took over the metro extension out of Gravesend the 465s used to run twice hourly to Gillingham, but now the 700s do this extending to Rainham

• Like Like x 2
  8. AirbourneAlex

You still see a Class 465 operating Victoria to Gillingham on the hourly slow service via Denmark Hill occasionally, but have been mostly displaced now on other routes by the Class 375s, 377s and 700s like you say. They still turn up regularly on Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells slow services which is probably as far as they venture these days. Sometimes you even get a Class 376 turn up on the Chatham Mainline operating empty stock through to Ramsgate for maintenance.

9. ARuscoe

376s often stable at Gillingham depot as well, but the furthest they usually run in service is Gravesend due to the 58 minute rule (they don't have toilets on board)

• Like Like x 2
  10. AirbourneAlex

Seems weird why the 376 was ordered as there's always been a shortage of 375s resulting in the Class 465/9 modification.
    And are rather useless given they can only run a handful of services because of the lack of toilets and air-con unlike the 375s.
    It would make more sense if more 375s were built and the Class 465 was used exclusively on suburban services as it was designed for.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  11. ARuscoe

Not really. There are many many services which run from just outside zone 6 from Dartford, Orpington etc which don't need to run longer than 58 minutes, leaving the 465/9s and 375s to do the regional runs further into Kent (or even to the coast) which would be up to 2 hours
    So on that basis they make sense, especially at rush hour with the big double doors and wide open loading and exit bays, whereas the ones on the 375 are almost cramped

12. AirbourneAlex

But the Class 465 is perfectly adequate still, like I said they were built with those suburban services in mind. The Class 375 was designed for longer distance services so wouldn't have been intended for those services. They also work the same routes as the 376.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

I believe the 376s were made so that the slam door stock on the CML could be phased out, replaced with the 465 which were themselves displaced by the 375s. Given that all the 376s are metro-urban and the 465s run regional as well as urban runs (with the 375s only doing regional except as a replacement) this gives a three string bow to SouthEastern on some very busy routes into CHX

• Like Like x 1
  14. AirbourneAlex

Even more so now with the Class 707 :D (let's not get into that debate!)

15. ARuscoe

Let's not. I can't stand the 70x

• Like Like x 1
  16. Doomotron

The 707s are meant to be an addition to the 376s, although there are currently unconfirmed rumours that some 465s and 466s will be replaced because of them, which is good, as the Networkers are pretty dreadful and very unreliable (particularly the /2 and /9). However, because they have no toilets, they'll be limited like the 376s are, so don't expect to see them replacing Networkers on London Victoria to Dover expresses. :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I think there's plenty of other locos that are in the same position of the 465; being limited to only one route.

I never quite understood why I can't use the 33 in Railtour services. It's a lovely loco and it's a shame it can only be used on its 'home' route.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Doomotron

The 33 and original 52 are limited because they never bothered to get the brake systems working with Mark 2 coaches (I'm not sure if that's the absolute reason given but it definitely has something to do with the braking systems). I believe the 33 is on their long to-do list, but now the new 52 has been made and works with the Mark 2s, the original one probably won't be fixed.