Glasgow Cathcart Circle - First Impressions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, May 28, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Un-Englishing themselves, yes; but Scotland remains on the island of Great Britain and always will be.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Ooh, I don't know about that, Solicitr,. Geographically, of course, but I would hesitate to suggest that the Scots were ever "English".

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Cathcart route itself is relatively short, with frequent station stops, however the 314 should be significantly more enjoyable to drive. It by no doubt has significantly better sounds compared to the 377, too. Both in game and in real life.

The Cathcart route also features quite a few branches and different ways of reaching your final destination depending on which way you go.

• Like Like x 2
  4. londonmidland

Hello, my cloud mod should automatically work on all new routes without you having to do anything.

• Like Like x 3
  5. solicitr

Just to be clear- there are four British nationalities, that is, who live on the island of Britain: English, Scottish, Welsh and Cornish. The last are rarely mentioned because they were absorbed into England in Anglo-Saxon times. The Scottish nationalists want to reverse the Act of Union that merged the Kingdoms of England and Scotland.

• Like Like x 2
  6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Well recent polls seem to swing both ways. Many SNP supporters are not necessarily going to vote for independence.

• Like Like x 2
  7. theorganist

You could split it up even more as England was made up of many kingdoms. I might start a campaign for an independent Mercia!

• Like Like x 2
  8. solicitr

With my family ruling it (I'm not kidding, I'm descended from the Iceling royal house)

• Like Like x 1
  9. theorganist

That is very interesting, I have just looked them up, never really researched the monarchs before, one of them Pybba I think is supposed to be buried under a hill in the town I live in. I think Offa is the most famous of them.

You can be the honorary king of Mercia then.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

So has Cornwall, what's your point?

• Like Like x 3
  11. ARuscoe

I doubt it. Too many processes required to generate the traffic density

• Like Like x 2
  12. Crosstie

Yes, I know my geography, thanks. But by suggesting than the Scots want to "un- English" themselves, that implies that they were once English, which I think they would object to.

Don't think you can compare the Cornish culture with the Scottish Independence Movement. No offence to any Cornish people on the forums.:)

• Like Like x 3
  13. londonmidland

Can we please keep political and any other related talk out of this thread please, as it is irrelevant and off topic to this thread. Thanks.

• Like Like x 22
  14. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

After watching the stream yesterday, I am impressed with what DTG has presented with this route, but will wait until next week's stream, which hopefully will be a production build, to see how it is. The sound was low and we can hope before release it can be fixed, but at the same time a tweak in the ini file will increase it in game.

• Like Like x 2
  15. londonmidland

I just hope they aren’t going to stream it on an Xbox, as it has known sound issues, such as crackling. This was very apparent in the 465 showcase.

As for the sounds, let’s hope they have been fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Adam did say in the stream last night that the sounds were louder when he had been playing the route earlier in the day.
    As for the stream next week, they did hint that they'd like to do a console stream so if they do it will be Xbox (they never stream on PS).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

In 2014 the majority of the Scottish people voted for remaining in the United Kingdom. And that will should be respected.

• Like Like x 3
  18. taybarker20

taybarker20 Active Member

Is this route set in 2017 as it says it on timetable?

19. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Likely it is

20. theorganist

Well I agree mostly, however Brexit has changed the dynamics somewhat as Scotland voted by a large margin to remain in the EU.

However, I don't think it would be helpful to Scotland or the rest of the UK for there to be further turmoil, especially as the UK has become intricately linked over the centuries and I suspect Scotland leaving the union will make Brexit look like a walk in the park. Still the SNP think they have a mandate, I suspect the result would be the same as before.

• Like Like x 2
  21. londonmidland

Guys, as I said before, please don't use this thread to voice your opinions on politics. This isn't the place for it. Any further discussion about it and I'll have to report the post(s). Thanks.

• Like Like x 13
  22. londonmidland

I'm liking how DTG modelled this walkway on the left rather nicely, despite it being a fair distance away from the station itself. It looks detailed and follows the gradient in a natural way. It also has lights so should look nice at night.

upload_2021-5-29_21-32-54.png

• Like Like x 14
  23. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

This does bring me slightly more hope for their London to Brighton route, but I don't want to set my expectations any higher until I see the first teasers for it.

• Like Like x 5
  24. taybarker20

taybarker20 Active Member

I thought first group lost the license after 2015

• Like Like x 1
  25. Crosstie

It looks like a park walk/bike trail. Nice touch, as you say. If and when I have this route, I'll have to take a stroll, probably walking back from Mount Florida.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I have already preordered the route. I feel this would be good.

• Like Like x 1
  27. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well hopefully the 314 will feature decent traditional AC traction sounds.
    I am still torn over paying £25, if you ignore the pre order discount, for such a short route and one train. Should maybe have come in at the £17.99 mark. This is what always puzzles me about DTG pricing - you can pay £25 for a short route like this or ECW yet the same money will buy you Clinchfield or the forthcoming Rush Hour pack. By contrast I just bought Snowrunner for around the same price, which gives you three large and beautiful looking maps to explore and a multiplicity of trucks and other vehicles to choose from and upgrade. I’m having a whale of a time just doing the starting missions.

• Like Like x 2
  28. ARuscoe

I wonder what the actual track miles is on this route... given the complexity of the tracks coming out of Glasgow Central, the depot inclusion (with the chord onto the circle) the additional mainline (though it's not populated) etc
    Also we're getting different LED signals, however many stations on the route, Glasgow Central itself...

For me it's not all about length of route. A 200 mile route wouldn't be worth ten times what this route is, and it would also be unlikely the timetable on this route took no work (so should feed into the cost)

• Like Like x 3
  29. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I would like to point out - Bakerloo is shorter, and I'm very sure that would've been £24.99 if it had come as a standalone route.

West Somerset and Isle of Wight are priced at £20 because they are small routes with few stations that probably didn't need as much dev time. Cathcart, however, is a much more complex route and timetable with almost everything new.

• Like Like x 2
  30. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

I would have liked some disiesel lines added for future upgrades and stock inclusions.

A lot would like to see route extensions, I understand the reasons for not extending single long lines but city networks would be ideal candidates.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  31. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

However London to Brighton is equally complex (Victoria, many miles of multiple track running) and is coming as part of a bundle the same price as Cathcart. Not saying Cathcart won't be good, but value for money is relative and after my disappointment with ECW (at least the refund part funded Snowrunner) I may wait for the Xmas sale before diving in.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

If this is a new pricing and if this will allow the longer routes to get more dev focus and better routes, I am ok with paying a bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Crosstie

It does seem a bit incongruous, doesn't it? You have GCC , with about 20 miles, one train and seemingly limited scope for expansion, for $30. Then you have London to Brighton, at least twice as long with the maze of trackage between Victoria and Clapham and, based on the TS version, a lot of room for additional train sets and services, including freight, which will cost an effective $10. But this is the pricing regimen DTG have used for many years, so it is what it is.

• Like Like x 2
  34. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Depends on how you look at it, are you getting Cathcart for too much or you just getting Rush Hour cheap.

BML also most likely has long stretches where the auto generation tool was used, where as GCC is more likely to have seen much more hand crafted work, If not the entire thing.

• Like Like x 6
  35. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I've been thinking to myself, this looks more like a TSW2020 route, rather than a TSW2 route, and I think it's because everything's more detailled and it looks like everything has been made and placed by hand, not by an AI.

• Like Like x 2
  36. londonmidland

I think you’re right, although I hope not for BML’s sake as that would be very disappointing.

You can tell in the GCC stream that there was a lot of hand placed assets and a lot of care and attention was given to the stations especially. The entrances and exits to the stations also looked detailed, whereas in past DLC you could tell barely any effort or attention had been to that area. Especially in areas where they relied on auto-gen to do the job.

I think given the relatively small and self contained nature of this route, this allowed the developers extra time to hand place items and give areas more attention then they usually would so. Therefore, I’m happy to pay the price they are asking for if the scenery lives up to what I’ve seen so far.

• Like Like x 7
  37. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

That's my view on the route prices too, I don't have any problem with paying full price for a shorter route if the lack of route length is made up for by spending more time on getting the scenery looking good. This is especially true on GCC with many stations, where every station includes custom assets and large stations like Glasgow Central are fantastically modelled which must take up absolutely loads of dev time.

• Like Like x 4
  38. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I think this is mainly RH being cheaper - it's a lot of content for a low price, it gives players a cheap option to get routes outside of their preferred country (potentially getting them to buy more DLCs from new countries) and can bring in new players as well. It is probably an investment to make more money in the long run. There might also be some very important loco add-ons (Acela for example) that majority of people owning RH will buy. So yeah, I wouldn't look at GCC as expensive, I'd look at RH as an investment ("funded" by DTG if you want :D)

• Like Like x 2
  39. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Yep - the achievements are abbreviated with "CCL".

https://steamdb.info/app/1282590/stats/

I quite liked GCC.... Oh well, I can live with CCL...... It's like a 32nd order issue for me... (or, indeed, not an issue at all).

• Like Like x 1
  40. Crosstie

Oh yes, you're right on the money (sorry). I've never thought that $30 was expensive for any route. And RH is certainly a kind of loss leader. Just from a customer POV, though, you're getting a lot more railroad for your money with BML Depends on your idea of what's most valuable in a route, I guess.

41. theorganist

I think price comes down to how much use and enjoyment an individual gets from the route, largely. If they released the Paddington to Bristol/Cardiff route set in the 1970's with a full set of stock suitable for it I would probably pay £100 for it, as I would probably barely use any other routes, but most wouldn't.

I do actually wonder if this route might get a little stale quickly, ECW certainly did, however as it looks like they have made an excellent effort with this one, and I do like the class 313/314 era of EMU's so I am willing to pay full price, or pre-order price.

I hope London to Brighton doesn't have generic and repetitive scenery, that would be very disappointing indeed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

It was kind of strange that the br class 40/45 where left out of the railtour options but the br class 47 wasn't.But i'm greatful they didn't shoehorn in the br class 101,i guess miracle can still happen.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  43. Crosstie

I know I shouldn't say this, because I'm pretty sure it would be a duck out of water, but I like the BR 101 so much, it would have actually made the route more enticing for me. :D

• Like Like x 2
  44. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Like the Transport Fever games, Snowrunner can utterly destroy many hours, sometimes whole days. I completed the 4 Michigan maps a while back but have honestly lost the will to continue on through the Yukon lol.

• Like Like x 1
  45. SHINO BAZ

We all have to face the real possibility that this route will release broken,so keep your expectations low or you might be disappointed again.And i say this as someone looking forward to this route.

• Like Like x 5
  46. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Have I missed something?

What’s so broken about the route?

The PIS was explained, the audio was explained by Matt.

Anything else might have been what you see, is what you’re going to get, which for me, isn’t an issue.

• Like Like x 3
  47. SHINO BAZ

No i ment when it's released on june 10 just like previous routes it will probably have many technical issuses that will need fixing.hhl anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

It’s a fair point, but the main issues with HHL and other not so good releases were obvious from the previews. In this case Matt was very up front about the current issues and apart from the sound and PIS and the Incorrect display of the routing on the service page, there weren’t any obvious gameplay issues. I’m sure there will be minor things, but if these issue are fixed for the next preview, I’m a lot more confident than I was about HHL (which I decided not to refund and since the patch is actually pretty nice).

As I already said, I wasn’t planning to buy this, but my finger is now hovering over the pre order button waiting for the next preview.

• Like Like x 1
  49. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

It did, however there is no First group or Abellio branding visible in the the preview stream therefore it could technically cover any period between now and 2011 (when the Saltire livery first appeared on a Class 314).

While the timetable may appear to be dated 2017 the route looks set in late 2018 to me. Around 50 mins into the preview stream (while looking around the large signal gantry just outside Glasgow Central) a consturction site is visible on the South side of the river. This is the Buchanan Wharf development which started being worked on in late 2018.

• Like Like x 3
  50. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Route does look good, but they still seem to persist using the same old speed signs - they could do with an update with an appropriate font. Every little helps with immersion. They did actually make some nice speed signs for Bakerloo but for some reason that hasn't translated into the newer UK routes?
    Also did anyone notice any signalling approach control? However, being a slow speed route it probably doesn't require it?
    Overall though, v impressed and can't wait for the big Summer route release......something for us to really get our teeth into.

• Like Like x 5