Glasgow Cathcart Circle - First Impressions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, May 28, 2021.

1. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

Very pleased with what I saw in the preview stream and it's a Day 1 buy for me. While there is always the potential for issues at launch I think they were pretty up front about these on the preview stream and didn't set any unrealistic expectations.

I work in Glasgow city centre and commuted along the Newton branch daily before COVID hit and I'm glad to see that the TSW route looks to be a fairly accurate portrayal of the real thing. The attention to detail in the station design is great and the lineside equipment more or less matches the real thing (OHLE equipment, signal types). I'm also happy with how the Class 314 has been represented, albeit it would have been nice to see the Carmine & Cream livery make an appearance.

Despite it being a passenger-focused route with fairly short services I think the variety in how each service can be routed will add interest alongside the few railtours and engineering train services. I'm also glad that this is the first Scottish route they've built for TSW. While there are some more scenic Scottish routes this is one that has never been officially included in the TS series, so it's a fresh route at least (I know there was an unofficial version of the route for TS2020).

Overall I'm looking forward to exploring it further and can only hope this is the first of many Scottish routes.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I feel the same! I love driving that train, more than any other. We would get a much better view of the route through the big windows, rather than the slot you get to look through on more modern units. If they would include a layer for the 101 I would buy this on the first day. Imagine the fun of trying to match EMU timings in an old diesel train. It probably happened in real life if there was a problem with the overhead power supply. As it is, I'll be waiting for a sale and using scenario planner. An alternative, which can't be used because of the period they've chosen, was the original Glasgow Blue units, the class 303.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_303

• Like Like x 1
  3. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Was AWS activated on the stream? If not I hope they turn it on for the next stream. Thankfully it’s not as complex to implement as PZB/LZB, but GWE still has glaring AWS issues* which will probably never be addressed.

*Morpeth boards at junctions

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

It was on, as was TPWS and the DVD. If Matt had played without AWS then I think that would've raised a few eyebrows.

• Like Like x 2
  5. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

You mean a permanent AWS magnet for a reduction in speed for a diverging route that you're not being signalled to? - yeah I've noticed that on GWE, not sure if it's correct as per reality, doesn't feel like it.

I know I keep banging on about it, but low speed approach control is desparately needed - even the original Kuju signals had it. We kind of have it in TSW - when being signalled into a siding where the calling on signal is lit - you have to slow down for a red but the two white lights are lit so you can proceed - surely it's not particularly difficult to implement? OSS would be nice to have as well. As you can see, I crave realistic signalling, it's way above having something like PIS, in my humble opinion. I'm probably in a minority though.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Clumsy Pacer

I ran a freight service on Southeastern today and experienced just that.

• Like Like x 4
  7. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It’s due to the way the signalling was set up on GWE iirc so it’ll most likely never be fixed because it requires an excessive amount of work to fix.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

It’s definitely not correct, the magnet should only be activated when the diverging junction is set to the lower speed. They work fine on more recent UK routes if I recall, but a mess on GWE.

• Like Like x 6
  9. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

I don’t recall any on my own routes to know better, but surely a magnet for a Morpeth board is a fixed magnet and can’t be energised/deenergised regardless of the route set?

10. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

It’s not really a Morpeth board per se, as they are for PSRs on a given section of upcoming track, so that’s my mistake. I should have called it an “advanced speed restriction warning for a lower speed diverging junction” but that’s quite a mouthful. If a train is taking the main there is no speed restriction. As the restriction only applies when the points are set to the diverging junction (e.g. down slow loop) the driver should not get an AWS warning in the cab. Like I said, this is correctly implemented on other UK routes but not so on GWE. So you are barrelling along at 125 mph and get a AWS horn for a junction speed restriction which you are not in fact signalled for.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Interesting, so they do seem to have gone into quite a bit of realism here. On which route is there an example of this please?

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The blue saltire livery is an interesting choice, because apparently only one 314 was ever painted in it pre-Abellio, and only two more after. The other nine trains remained in blood-and-sour-cream until their retirement.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Clumsy Pacer

Don't know if I've said it in this thread, but definitely said it elsewhere - it's likely a limitation in the ScotRail license, even though the ex-SPT trains were debranded.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. londonmidland

A very quick edit but I aim to do something like this to the OLE, to make it look more naturally weathered and less new looking.

Left default, right edited.

My Post.png

• Like Like x 11
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is a lot more pleasing to the eye than the cranberry sauce and vomit livery for sure. It’ll be one of the nicest looking liveries in TSW and therefore a much better choice than what would have possibly been the worst, whatever the reason that it’s the one we’re getting.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Looking at the preview stream I'm still in doubt wether I want to buy this route. On the plus side, I really love the looks of that livery, the train exterior looks nice, and I like commuter routes. On the down side though, any of the services look pretty short, there's only one train on this route, the train can only be used on one route, the train has a small front window, and it's another modern UK route.

I think I'll wait for a sale and see what happens. Perhaps there'll be more trains for the route, or more routes for the train. There'll be plenty of opportunities to buy the route in future. It's definately one that ends up on my wishlist, and I think it'll end up in my shopping cart some day. :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

To be honest this is the vibe I’m getting. I hate to mention Snowrunner again but after seeing what you get for ~£20 with the Season 1 Pass, the awesome graphics especially the water effects, I really can’t see me dropping £25 on such a short route, no matter how detailed it is.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I have the same feeling about this route. It looks nice, but it could really use some more trains. I know DTG has prepared everything so if they make other routes with trains that would fit here they could add them, but there aren't any promises and from what they said in the stream it can be a long wait. IMHO, having an specific rolling stock DLC for this route in the next 3 months would have been a better approach.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  19. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I do like the look of the route, it looks very well made as does the class 314. But, I have also on reflection decided to wait awhile. I bought ECW based on it's looks, I think it is one of the best looking routes in TSW but after a few runs it is frankly boring, especially with the Electrostar which is boring to drive, I think the class 313 will give it a new lease of life. I think Cathcart Circle could become tedious after a couple of runs.

I will sit on my wallet and wait till Rush Hour which does look interesting and the Cornish route.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

The route itself looked very very nice. The variety of track layout could be interesting.
    Cons- Railtour service, same ntp mk2 and tvl ntp locos thrown in. Can we not mix it up, even if its just another combination of the same stock?
    - Sound is always a concern on these streams, yet again, wasnt ready yet. - This could come under pros, as it may be getting attention or cons it may just be sub standard.
    I look forward to watching the next preview, but will wait to see what the player opinion on release is I think.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Clumsy Pacer

Matt said in another thread the sounds of the 314 have been worked on. He didn't say they're better as that's a matter of opinion.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I do get what your saying, but you cant hide everything behind "opinion" or overly high expectations. The overall sound of an engine ( without going into specifics) should be pretty universally accepted. If you say an earlier build sounded louder or better, or you're still working on it, therefore acknowledging its not right, but when the 2nd stream or even release day comes around it sounds the same as 1st preview or worse. You cant just throw that back at the consumer and call it one persons opinion.
    For me the train sounds seemed generally good and in the ball park of what something like this would sound like. Just needs the volume.

• Like Like x 1
  23. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Maybe they could do a "double triple" pack.... or...um.... that might just be called a "six pack".... when Rush Hour launches.....

.....so that you get the "Rush Hour Three" for £25, but for £50 you also get Hamburg/Lubeck, Cathcart Circle and Cane Creek.

And/or maybe some mid-year three-route bundles (at £25) might work quite well for a lot of people.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I would it if'd actually offer something different. I can enjoy routes like WSR, IOW and Arosa because they offer quite a different experience compared to the standard commuter route.

Cathcart Circle is just another commuter route, though.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I’m overall excited for the Cathcart Circle. What I’m plan on doing is when it’s released do a detailed review on the forums after doing 3 scenarios, all tutorials and each type of service.

• Like Like x 4
  26. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

It looks good, but we appear to be a one train simulation now, Glasgow Central is a very busy station with multiple operators and types of train. We have the 314 on its own with some railtour and freight added on. Not going to be a day one this time. TBH I just picked up Just Cause 3 for £1.79 on Steam which runs great on mostly high and ultra settings, cant see much time for TSW with its £24.99 One train routes as much as I have enjoyed them initially the Longevity has gone. Looking at Manchester Victoria with its trickle of services on NTP just makes me realise how empty the Sim is. I will take a look at Rush hour however and decide if its a step in the right direction. DTG Please consider giving us the ability to edit our own timetables. It would be a game changer across the board.

• Like Like x 7
  27. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

Loving the enthusiasm!! Already planning mods before the route has even released! Cant wait to see what you produce. Keep up the good work my man.

• Like Like x 2
  28. londonmidland

Thanks! I can't wait to crack on with modding this route :)

• Like Like x 4
  29. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Watching the stream now, what on earth have DTG done to the ballast? Last week it was a nice brown all over, now it’s light grey but still brown at the outer edges which looks terrible.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  30. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yeah, it looks horrible.

And what's going on with the catenary poles? Why are they popping in 20 meters in front of the player?

• Like Like x 4
  31. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

They seem to have fixed the sounds, now you can hear the squeaking of rails and the passing over crossings well.:)

Yes, it certainly the ballast looked a lot better last week....

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  32. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Ballast last week (great):

8B9578CC-5162-4455-B5DC-F59F29415F07.png

Ballast this week (horrible):

A1BACBDC-1B47-439A-9BC8-94B826CF0C83.png

• Like Like x 16
  33. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

DTG failure really hard.
    The Draw distance is annoying

• Like Like x 2
  34. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The draw distance could be down to console performance (or lack of).

The ballast colour...not so much

• Like Like x 5
  35. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

It should be noted that they're running the game today on PlayStation 4. Honestly, I think it looks amazing for 7 year old hardware.

• Like Like x 3
  36. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Even on Xbox Series X is the Draw Distance and Flickering awful like on old consoles

• Like Like x 4
  37. londonmidland

Well I'm glad I'm a PC player as today's stream, played on a base console, looks absolutely horrible. Such a downgrade from the first initial stream, which was played on PC.

Everything looks so flat, washed out and poor quality. Rendering of assets and asset pop-up is poor too, although I'm not surprised seeing as they're playing on old and inferior hardware.

• Like Like x 6
  38. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The very good looking in my opinion.
    EDIT If it was a German route I would buy it but I have no money :D

• Like Like x 1
  39. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

The problem is more with the PS4, last week it was on the PC. The game is much worse on the PS4 or XBox.

40. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

That’s because you’re playing an Xbox one game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

Because TSW is not optimized for X Box series X, only one.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Watched some of today's stream and decided that this route is not for me. Will wait until Cane Creek and see what it looks like, sure that I will do Rush Hour.

• Like Like x 1
  43. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

They said now that nothing is change on the Track Texture.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  44. Dinosbacsi

Yet they said that they don't know about any changes to the ballast texture. How? It was literally Matt playing last week as well, how does he not see the difference?

• Like Like x 3
  45. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

There's no difference, that's because it's a PS4 and not a PC ...

Everything is better resolved on the PC(In TSW) than on such a console

46. Dinosbacsi

I can get the draw distance and such, but why would ballast color differ on the PC and on the console versions?

• Like Like x 2
  47. Clumsy Pacer

Also remember he's driving at different times of day (and probably different seasons), so that may factor into it.

48. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

That wouldn’t result in a colour change, which is clearly visible.

• Like Like x 5
  49. Dinosbacsi

But you can clearly see the track ballas being different color to the ground texture ballast. A different time of the day simply wouldn't do that.

• Like Like x 5
  50. londonmidland

The reason for the ballast change colour is because Matt is playing on full cloud, which massively changes the colour of the world and washes things out. Made worse by streaming on console. Try it yourself.

The first stream was played in clear, sunny weather.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2