Multiple Unit Proposal: Apt-e

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by 52_Western, Mar 1, 2018.

?
  1. ••••• YES!! I WOULD SO LOVE THAT!!!

52.9%
  2. •••• YEAH! AWESOME! Vvvvote!

11.8%
  3. ••• Great! I'm hereby voting: "Three •s"

5.9%
  4. •• Sure... I'm happy with it!

23.5%
  5. • I actually really don't care, but okay, fair enough.

5.9%
  6. I don't want it. I really don't want it. You see, it's because... (continuation in comment section)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

[​IMG]
    (Image source: http://www.thebattens.me.uk/electric01.html, the APT-E is seen at a siding at the YRM [York Railway Museum], in 1978)

What does "APT-E" stand for?
    APT-E stands for Advanced Passenger Train - Experimental. For more abbreviation explanations, see Index, at the end of this proposal.

[​IMG]
    (Image source: http://www.old-dalby.com/apt-e.htm, the APT-E is seen in the Vehicles Lab, behind a Class 252 HST Prototype, both are temporarily stationary)

What is this train?
    The APT-E is a tilting HST, and it is also the only British gas-turbine powered multiple unit.

[​IMG]
    (Image source: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87114-the-official-rapido-apt-e-thread/)

Cab view?
    Here's a beautiful picture of the APT-E's cab.

[​IMG]
    (Image source: https://blog.nrm.org.uk/apt-e-secure/ APT-E cab view)

Please, give me some info!
    The APT-E consists of PC1, TC1, an APSC, TC2 and PC2 (see Index). Both of the two power cars are equipped with 5x Rover-built Leyland 2S/350 gas turbines, at first, they produced 300hp, but they were uprated to 330hp. 2x GEC 253AY nose suspended traction motors provided the traction for the leading bogies. These units were made out of aluminium, each unit being approximately 70ft (21m) long, with articulated bogies in between. The units never made it into public service (arguably, they enter service disguised as the InterCity 225 Class 91-Mk4-Driving-Trailer), but they have been tested on the GWML, the WR between Swindon and Reading on which it achieved a speed record of 152.3mph (245.1km/h) MML and ODTT. It is now in the NRMLM in Shildon.

[​IMG]
    (Image source: https://hiveminer.com/Tags/apte,nationalrailwaymuseum/Timeline the APT-E in the NRMLM, head-on view)

And... why do you want this in TS?

I have never seen an APT, let alone an HST prototype. But when I first saw pictures and this video...

... of it, I really liked the design of the APT-E's streamlined front, and its BR Demonstrator (?) livery.
    And since the APT-P was made for TS, why not the APT-E?

[​IMG]
    (Image source is also: https://hiveminer.com/Tags/apte,nationalrailwaymuseum/Timeline the APT-E side view.)

Where do we come in?
    You can motivate DTG to make this train, by using the poll above this proposal. If DTG see that enough people want this train in TS, I think they will be more likely to actually start working on it. If you want to be able to drive this train, go ahead, vote for an accurate simulation of the APT-E inside Train Simulator! ■

- 52_Western

Index:
    APT-E = Advanced Passenger Train - Experimental
    APT-P = Advanced Passenger Train - Prototype
    HST = High Speed Train
    PC1 = Power Car 1
    TC1
    = Trailer Car 1
    APSC = Auxiliary Power Supply Car
    TC2 = Trailer Car 2
    PC2 = Power Car 2
    GWML = Great Western Main Line
    WR = Western Region
    MML = Midland Main Line
    ODTT = Old Dalby Test Track
    NRMLM = National Railway Museum Locomotion Museum

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the media shown here, nor do I claim to. All media belongs to their rightful owners. I just put them in here for illustration purposes.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kyle_Lennard1

Kyle_Lennard1 Active Member

In addition to DTG hopefully making the APT-E. I would love to see them do an APT-S (Service Squadron) as a what if the APT entered production (Like how Victory works included a BR blue livery GT3)

• Like Like x 1
  3. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

YES! That'd be so awesome!
    Like, for example, an IC livery, as seen here with the Prototype HST? Or an IC Swallow one? Or maybe even Grand Central, Virgin Trains, XC and/or FGW/GWR?

4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

A minor correction- the E-Train power cars have five gas turbines each. As built one was for auxiliary power but, after a rebuild, a Diesel engine took over that job and all five turbines provided motive power. The traction-motors are the type used in the Class 37 (with some modification of course).

For her record-setting run to Leicester the control link to one of the turbines had failed. Normally it would have been isolated and the train run on nine but so determined were the crew to set an average speed of 100mph (on their last opportunity) that one of them lay by the turbine and controlled it with a screwdriver. I've been on E-Train in an engine compartment and I'm willing to bet good money he was not comfortable.

As to the Squadron trains one could argue that they did enter service in the guise of the Class 91-Mk4-driving-trailer IC225s. The APT "brand" had been so poisoned by bad publicity that it was considered unusable.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Fixed, thanks for the info!

6. JJTimothy

You're welcome.

I note that I conflated two of APT-E's records in my previous comment. The run from St. Pancras to Leicester, which achieved an average speed of over 101mph- a record still untouched, went without control problems. The failure which required an engineer to manually control one of the turbines following instructions relayed from the cab actually occured while E-Train reached her highest speed (152.3mph) between Swindon and Reading.

Voted in favour of an E-Train DLC in case you were wondering.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Kyle_Lennard1

I would Love the APT-E in Train Simulator preferably developed by Victory Works and the APT-S would be similar to the APT-P in terms of Body-shell and the Formation of the 225

• Like Like x 1
  8. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Probably, but Victory Works never made multiple units. What about if Master Key Simulations made it?
    Also, sorry, but what's the S in APT-S stand for?

9. JJTimothy

Service or Squadron depending on who you ask. The production train that would have entered service.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Kyle_Lennard1

The reason I said it should be made by Victory Works is that they have done a Gas Turbine Loco for Train Simulator so it would make sense for them to do the APT-E.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Kyle_Lennard1

As for the APT-S DTG Can use the Existing model as a Base and rework it into the what the Proposed sets would have looked like.
    Here are some references they can use.
    http://www.apt-p.com/APTConfigurations.htm
    [​IMG]

• Helpful Helpful x 1