Front Camera View In Tunnels

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by KatiaBLR, May 31, 2021.

1. KatiaBLR

KatiaBLR Well-Known Member

hi!

this is a first time post so not sure how this works.

my issue is that on train sim world 2 you can no longer have a front facing camera view anymore (as the moment you go through a tunnel the camera resets to the driver cab)

for me personally the driver cab view isn't great as i prefer to see everything out of the front without the cab obscuring the surroundings.

on some trains, especially on east coastway, around 70% of the screen is wasted as there is only a small window to see through. i am looking forward to the new cathcart route but i feel it will be affected just the same.

is there anyway of fixing this in future? on train sim world 2020 this was possible and worked fine, so why not on train sim world 2?

for me it spoils the experience of the game, and driving with an unobstructed view is so much more enjoyable.

if anyone who works on the game could answer this query that would be great.

thanks!

• Like Like x 5
  2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

The tunnel camera issue is one that is on our radar - we had a potential fix for it but it had some issues so was postponed, but is not forgotten, I believe progress has been made but not sure where it's got to and when you'll see it but just wanted to say we hear you, and we're on it :)

• Like Like x 19
  3. KatiaBLR

hi!

thanks so much for a quick reply.

that's great that you're working on this, much appreciated. it's the only issue i have with an otherwise perfect game, and would love to see this fixed whenever possible.

look forward to seeing this done in the future. it would make such a huge and positive difference to the overall gameplay.

thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  4. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

A minor workaround is if you use the immersive controls you can zoom the camera closer to the window. I don’t zoom it all the way in though as it will make look like you’re going slower than you actually are.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KatiaBLR

that's true, it works to a certain degree when there is a large window in the drivers cab (such as on
    class 395 or 465) but not on others with a small window (such as 375 or the upcoming 314 on cathcart)

i know some players prefer a cab view but personally i find it much better to have a full view of the track ahead, and i imagine i'm not the only one who thinks the same

• Like Like x 2
  6. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

7. kekanha#4892

Look at it this way, inside the tunnel the only thing you would see would be the headlights of the train, since the brightness of the lights together with the darkness that makes inside the tunnel you would not be able to see anything. You can prove what I tell you at Bakerloo. nothing is seen. the problem is that with long trains, as long as they do not go out completely, you cannot change the vision mode. but little by little you will get used to it, at first I didn't like it either, now I don't think about it anymore please sorry for mi English. regards

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It can be a nightmare on Clinchfield, with its innumerable tunnels and very long trains

• Like Like x 4
  9. KatiaBLR

exactly this is my point!

i upgraded from train sim world 2020 to train sim world 2 so i could get the london-faversham route, having no idea i couldn't have a front camera view on route without been constantly interrupted in tunnels.

i won't purchase another dlc like clinchfield until this issue is fixed, as it constantly distrupts the game flow.

i know routes like east coastway and cathcart don't have many tunnels but they still have them, so the front nose camera doesn't work across the full route.

i much prefer to see the scenery on each route rather than 70% of the cab interior all the time.

• Like Like x 3
  10. kekanha#4892

I like how it is. I think it is a question of taste. I also drive inside cars, everyone has their own tastes. I like it that way. I spend all the time inside, I just put the camera outside for the photos. I don't understand what you want to see inside the tunnel ????

• Like Like x 1
  11. kekanha#4892

do you play rapid transit, or bakerloo line ??? rapid transit comes from TSW 2020, and it was always like that. It is a simulator, the camera is expected to be that of the driver.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KatiaBLR

it's not that i want to see inside the tunnels, my point is that everytime you do enter a tunnel with the camera on front nose view it resets itself, and you have to manually change it back to front camera when the train fully emerges from the tunnel.

i like the front nose view as you can see more of your surroundings. on a route such as east coastway there are three tunnels between lewes and brighton (only short ones but any length of tunnel affects it)

on tsw2020 the camera stayed exactly where you set it, whereas on tsw2 the camera suddenly jumps back into the cab, which is frustrating when you want the camera to stay in one place throughout a single journey

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is indeed a question of taste and therefore choice, and while the current method caters for your taste it doesn’t cater for everyone’s. If they were to change it as requested, it wouldn’t affect your taste because you only use the internal camera but it would also cater for the large number of players that want to use exterior cameras when some part of the train is in a tunnel. If people want to see inside a tunnel (and I definitely do) then it doesn’t matter if you don’t understand that, those people still want that choice. It won’t affect your game at all.

• Like Like x 10
  14. KatiaBLR

agree with this 100%, glad i'm not the only one who feels this way.

hopefully a fix for this will happen soon

• Like Like x 4
  15. lilsavage#8425

lilsavage#8425 New Member

Something I do with the 377 & 375 - I change settings so I can choose from the camera options, I choose 'Left Panel' and then move the camera to the right so I can see a full view of the front without being out of the cab. I find myself doing this a lot as I love being able to see the scenery as I drive. Hope this helps. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. KatiaBLR

that's an interesting thought, i'll give that a try next time i drive the east coastway route, thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  17. lilsavage#8425

lilsavage#8425 New Member

No worries, I have been doing this for a while now, so I thought I'd share.

18. KatiaBLR

Can i just say a BIG THANK YOU! to all at dtg.

Firstly for your huge efforts in fixing the ps4 issues of late, i know so many of you have worked very hard to get this fix out, so much appreciated.

Secondly, ever since upgrading to the unreal engine 4.26, the front camera view now appears to work in tunnels again.

I've only had time to drive East Coastway and Southeastern High Speed so far, but now i can set the camera at the front of the train for an uninterrupted view in front of me, and it no longer cuts out in tunnels.

Gameplay for me is now hugely improved by this, so thanks to all involved!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

I love this change too, but there is still one spot where it doesn't work - the underground portion of the Bakerloo line. Overground tunnels on that line work, but once you head underground at Queen's park you're punted back into the cab. Hopefully this gets fixed too someday.

• Like Like x 1
  20. KatiaBLR

i believe this is intentional and designed that way, as on the tube stock you can't use the front door or access the tracks on the underground sections, which i imagine is a condition of licencing from tfl.

someone with more knowledge may correct me on that, but i'm sure that is the reasons why

21. Tanglebones

I hear you, but you're not accessing the tracks just as you wouldn't be in a train with no front door at all. You're still driving the train, just viewing from the front. I agree, comment from someone familiar with this would be appreciated.

22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

For me anyway this is most useful on Clinchfield, where you sometimes have to make reversing moves through tunnels, and having no rear camera (i.e. no brakeman spotting from the lead car) made for some hairy times.

23. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

The camera in tunnels on Bakerloo is disabled on purpose - being such a cramped space there's myriad of opportunity for it to bounce out of the tunnel and do strange unhelpful things. If there's improvement to how the camera handles in the future then we may revisit this but certainly for the time being that isn't on the plan.

The fix here has been that this "disable camera in tunnels" was only ever supposed to be for Bakerloo and somehow it became the setting for ALL routes - this fix changes it back as all other routes have a bit more room in the tunnels and the camera plays a bit nicer.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Tanglebones

Thanks Matt, much appreciated. Ironically, while I love that it was fixed for all the other routes, it was this one I was looking forward to the most. Underground tunnels have always seemed like dark, forbidden places to me, hence my curiosity.

Interestingly, and I've never seen any other reference to this, there was a very rare bug in the 4.23 version of Bakerloo where the tunnel darkness would just disappear at start up. At first I thought "Hey, they 'fixed' this" but then quickly realized that didn't happen.

For a year or so it only happened once, then just before the update it happened again twice in a row. Wish I'd taken a screenshot. So at least I got my sneak peek at the forbidden, and it was mesmerizing to watch that tunnel flash past.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  25. KatiaBLR

Well bakerloo line aside (and the reasons you've said for it not being available there make sense), i love this new update, the front camera issue was the only thing that hindered my experience of the game.

now it has been resolved it has instantly improved my experience, so thanks for taking the time to look into this and resolve it.

and finally, thanks again to all at dtg for their hard work resolving ps4 add-on issues. when you consider that the entire engine has been upgraded and so many new features involving immersion and camera views have been added, and all that has been done completely free of charge, that is a huge deal and a great accomplishment.

now i can look forward to the release of brighton to london!

thanks
    katia

• Like Like x 3