Train Sim World 2 - Tonnage In The Canyons

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jun 3, 2021.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

MicrosoftTeams-image (43).jpg Read the article here.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 21
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looks amazing, cannot wait for it's release.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

The route looks amazing. I'm so glad they've included some freight car variation, as that's something I always miss on DTG's routes.
    But why did they remove the weathering on the front part of the AC4400CW? They should just do it like on the SD40-2, as that one looks gorgeous.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s a shame the liveries on the locomotives contain some niggling errors, which have been pointed out in other threads. What happened with the hundreds of reference photos?

• Like Like x 8
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

A nicely shaded background (distant mountains). It looks very natural. ** Quite an unusual phenomenon in TSW

TWS.temp.jpg
    Interesting :)

Hype \o/

EDIT the only puzzle - the sound

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Wow. Between the last article and this one, there has been some improvements to the locos alright (more so on the AC44 than the SD40).
    Really can't wait for this puppy now.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

AC44 has number font correct now.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Challenger3985

Yes I notice that, and it's cleaner as well. (except for the flag, looks awful still)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Kinda strange that the AC4400CW is cleaner now, I liked it looking a bit dirty. Oh well, it’s still a beautiful Union Pacific locomotive at the end of the day.

Also, I wish we saw the ribbed covered hoppers. Although maybe since it’s an entirely new piece of rolling stock, it’s still being worked on. Still really excited for this route, it seems to be a fun challenge with some great Union Pacific locomotives.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Wow, this route is looking great, I can't wait for the first preview stream. I just hope skyhook gives both locos accurate sounds and not the garbage SPG sounds.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Not expecting the correct cars to get thrown in for Moab (sadly)... but can there at least be a fix for things... like this...
    upload_2021-6-3_17-23-51.png
    Isn't it a little embarrassing for a loco to be so "authentic", yet have this weird error in the livery? I myself have made a bunch of work on livery recreation for models and I can't imagine how you get to this. It has to look wrong instantly when you make it.

Also a question for those more knowing here - I've looked at some of the numbers of the locos in the article and all of these "SD40-2" numbers are rostered as SD40Ns. Before reconstruction they had different numbers, so are we getting "-2s" or "Ns"?

• Like Like x 6
  12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I would think it is essential that the livery is as perfect as possible. After all, Union Pacific has trusted that their livery will be faithfully recreated. You can’t faff about with other company brands.

13. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Yeah, one model company a friend does research for, worked on a model and had one logo pretty wrong on the prototypes, we warned them about it through the friend, they ignored it, went into production with the wrong logo... and lost the licence from ToC after one run.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Same on the other side... in th etop pic of the post all three locos show the last C overlapping the red line when it shouldn't

• Like Like x 2
  15. ARuscoe

Pardon...

upload_2021-6-3_16-49-21.png

16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

And he could have become a sapper... ** Skyhook :D

17. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Do you think UNION PACIFIC will get a chance to see the final product before release,and say yes or no depending on weither skyhook games gets the UP locos logos to a look that looks correct to them?

18. ARuscoe

The specific letters I quoted are overlapping... and yes "it ain't perfect"...

19. Challenger3985

Alright. We can all agree the livery on the SD40 still needs some adjustments to be accurately right. Happy! (I'm not in raged by the way)

• Like Like x 1
  20. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

This looks amazing, but as mentioned before, we'll see if they reused sounds

• Like Like x 2
  21. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

For me it's the sounds, the livery accuracy, and a fix for the dynamic brakes on the AC4400 that will determine if I buy the route.

• Like Like x 4
  22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

& my little mantra - initial reduction 6 PSI :)

• Like Like x 4
  23. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I agree, the physics have to be spot on and some other livery issue have to be fixed for me to buy this route.

• Like Like x 3
  24. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I am so eager to play this. The scenery is just awesome, and something completely unnatural for an european like me. That is also something that I love about TSW2, the chance to get into a certain place in the world where you would normally not venture to.
    Plus, these types of routes are usually the ones that spark least interest in me, yet this looks like it will be a scenic dream to run through, no matter what kind of services you. (and kinda was the same I had hoped for with Arosa, which after the streams I refused to touch)
    But I can only repeat what has been said before, fingers crossed for better sounds and functional dynamic brake. Especially if the latter won't work on release, I will most likely hold back from a day 1 purchase with an aching heart.

I am actually thinking about not watching any of the pre-release streams for this route, just to get the 100% new experience on first drive. I would stream this to a friend and we could both have a unspoiled gander at all there is to see!

• Like Like x 3
  25. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Glad that there has been improvements to the AC4400CW livery since the last article, but there are still a few issues that I see.

1. The reflective striping is still incorrect, it should be a solid band across the entire side. You cant hide it with some paint....
    1.png

2. The rear run numbers still don't match the locomotive.
    2.png

3. The flag is too high on the right side of the locomotive. As it has cross over the top of the scheme. Also, I think the placement of logos on this side of the locomotive should be changed, with the Building America text moved over onto the AC inverter cabinets.
    4.png
    [​IMG]

4. The loco sublettering is in the wrong position, it should be father back on the cab. I think it should be C44AC as seen on the John Givens plaque locomotive, not CW44AC (I don't this these orders had CTE, so they shouldn't be C44ACCTE)
    3.png
    [​IMG]

5. I would still like to see the front of the AC4400CW fixed, with the different handrails and window removed from the door.
    6.png

Hopefully this means alot of these photos were taken before the route got sent to testing, as the SD40-2 still needs fixing, and the hoppers are still blank with no markings (We also haven't seen a good photo of the other hopper either....)

My faith in the route has been restored a little now after this article.

• Like Like x 5
  26. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I am going to simply say I love these in-depth analyses of yours even though they show a lot of errors. Things like the sublettering are minor, things like the railings... not so much.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Rutger Luiten

Rutger Luiten Active Member

The bogies of the AC4400CW still aren't correct, the hydraulic dampers are missing, be aware that the dampers are at the other side on the rear bogie, so please don't make the same mistake as with the TS20XX model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  28. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

What was done to some of these locomotives was Reskinning from CSX into Union Pacific if Cane Creek gets a new locomotive that can be reskinned into CSX for SPG. Reason for this is very simple is that all the American Freight railroads order the same locomotives

29. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

They might be ordering the same locos, but that doesn't mean they're the same, every operator has a priority for the configuration, cab, bogies, horsepower, etc. Sometimes one operator even has more versions (e.g. UP after mergers), so no, same loco isn't THE SAME in this case.

• Like Like x 5
  30. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

Aside from the things that stand out (and have already been pointed out), something just feels off with the livery, but I can't figure out what it is.

Couple other things I've noticed (apologies if they've been covered in the last article thread, I stopped reading that)
    -The grey needs to be darker (though that may just be the in-game lighting)
    -The decals (American flag & the UP logo on the front) look very washed out and out of place compared to the rest of the body
    -This was already said, but no window on the door please

-The front of the radiator section doesn't have the red stripe
    upload_2021-6-3_16-35-7.png

- On the conductors side, there should only be two dynamic brake vents above the electrical cabinets. The third grate/vent behind those also has a slightly different design and is shorter than the CSX version
    upload_2021-6-3_16-38-8.png

But also big yes on the sounds will really determine if I buy this route. If I want a vacuum cleaner sound, I'll just do some cleaning around the house...

• Like Like x 4
  31. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me because when I read American Railway magazines they never mention this fact instead they're the same horsepower. Regarding the in-game AC4400CW Union Pacific did Skyhook Games simply used the existing SPG CSX version then Reskinned into Union Pacific paint or Ground Up work?

32. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I wouldn't dig too deep... :D

... all kinds of ugly things can be unearthed /o\

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

They've done some work from what we've already seen - they have different trucks, ditch lights and PTC on the roof.
    upload_2021-6-4_0-15-45.png
    So it isn't a completely identical 3D model... but it's also not 100 % correct, they've still missed things like the correct railing shape, details on trucks and the livery is pretty busted (see some earlier posts by other people). Halfway there I'd say

• Like Like x 4
  34. driverwoods#1787

The rooftop should set it apart from the DTG version for SPG provided Cane Creek gives SPG a transcontinental Freight Service Brendel, UT to the Port of Baltimore Maryland Eastern Time Zone service. Thank you for telling me about the differences between SPG and Cane Creek AC4400CW. Because if DTG made Cane Creek it's simply all reskin locomotives with SPG AC4400CW getting PTC installed. PTC combination with the alerter is the American equivalent to Germany ETCS Sifa System or France ETCS Vacma

35. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Found another issue, the Exhaust looks like a piece of candy corn.
    aaaaaa.png

36. Challenger3985

Well now I find myself with this odd question (with all the errors and flaws many are pointing out in here); where did Skyhook really get the references for the two from?
    They've done so well with the other US Locos so far (as a 2nd-party, I know), And now finding out that both the SD40 and AC44 are not even as close to being accurate. This may turn out to be a disappointment if this is how they want to represent UP Locos with the models (even though still W.I.P) for this route. Even if I still like the route for its scenery (rolling stock is ok for me).

• Like Like x 2
  37. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I wonder if this will be the first American route in TSW to get working railroad crossings. I'll keep my expectations low on that for now, as a previous third-party route, Isle of Wight, didn't get the at-the-time new feature of working PIS. But working railroad crossings on Cane Creek would be awesome for railfanning, if Skyhook manages to add those.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  38. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

I'd settle for it being the first American route with working banking comm ;)

39. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Seems like the preview streams are getting more interesting with every article. We already had dynamic brakes, banking comm and sounds on our list to watch out for (though I‘d be extremely surprised if Skyhook didn‘t re-use the SPG sounds) and now we‘ve got the liveries and other loco detail on there as well. It‘s very unusual for the locos to still change once we start getting articles, but it did happen here. Very curious.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

The sounds for the locos were supplied by DTG, so it's likely that they will sound the same. Luckily that's not a deal-breaker for me as it's likely that we'll see mods improving them fairly soon.

• Like Like x 2
  41. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The whole Locos and Waggons are just recycled from DTG.
    Skyhook make nothing on this.

42. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I have never been there in real life, so if it not 100% I will not try to check it out in all details and I really do not care about that. For me it is more important to have the tight atmosphere than every red stripe at the correct place. It should feel dusty, hot, heavy and I would highly appreciate to have the the waste trains using the proper wagon type. Also gameplay is important, is there enough variety in service types and so on.?

• Like Like x 2
  43. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I think this is the route, where, if it feels empty and lifeless, they've nailed it. I could be wrong and it could be a busy area but my perception is it'll be quiet.

If we're driving alongside a road, I don't want to see a car every 10 seconds, if we get a car I want to see one or two at most.

44. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

The same place DTG got the reference for the 112.

Jokes apart, it's not a question of getting reference, all of you guys comparing the model to the real train probabily got an image of the area you were looking for of the exact loco you were looking for in 5 minutes at most, that's the beauty of the information age.

The problem is that if you start from an already existing 3D model and change it, you can run in some issue, apparently resizing and moving some headlights, not only is not a 15 minutes job, is so tedious I bet they are never going to fix it.

A similar thing might be happening here, probabily another case of "too much work for too little reward" or just lack of time and resources, because most of it went into making the route so beautiful.

The UP GP38 made almost 2 years ago looks much better and much more authentic than both of these. The 314 looks much better than both of these (and DTG was not able to get reference material for themselves), let's not even mention the Class 465 and the BR101. The problem, is (probabily) purely "logistical" you can only sink in so much money (and time) in a product in order to make a profit when you sell it.

45. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

While it is 99% true that if you see locos in DTG screenshots, that’s how they will appear in the DLC, I can only assume that the loco art on these isn’t finished in the screenshots. They are pretty bad and don’t look real (in game real kind of real). I’m not a fan of the UP livery with the huge US flag on it but as they have chosen that livery for the game then the flag has to look good. In the screenshots it looks like a bad photocopy. If they can’t reproduce the flag, use another livery with the company name (and place the letters better). If these liveries were children’s drawings, they would not be good enough to be displayed on the fridge. Let’s hope work in progress really means that.

• Like Like x 5
  46. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

So much development time has been spent on this route, any major problems with the route environment and/or the locos and rolling stock would be hugely disappointing. It's been on the Roadmap since Noah launched the Ark, so there really isn't a lot of wiggle room for mistakes. I'm still optimistic, but I worry when people are discovering problems with familiar and previously modeled locomotives, even though some may be cosmetic, this early in the preview period.

• Like Like x 3
  47. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Very good article from Garry again. And some existing news. Like that the covered hoppers can be loaded for the first time in TSW. That brings a lot of potential for future routes like loading scenarios at grain mills and so on. Than we well get a new covered hopper. I'm exited to see the AI trains running at the Rio Grande Mainline with 60 mph too. And it would be very nice if we could get an alerter for consoles in the UP AC4400CW like we got it in the Dash 8. Substitution of the UP AC4400CW and Dash2 on other northamerican routes and the substitution of the UP GP38-2 at CCB would be very nice too. Can't wait to control the UP trains at CCB and making photos from it beside the Colorado River and the impressive rocky landscape.

48. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Gary's articles always hook me up for American freight, same with CRR. I thought "nah ..." but after the article "okay, day1".
    Another route I can't and won't miss. Lucky I have absolutely no knowledge about US liveries so no personal "DoSto-situation" in there for me.

But I like the community for their knowledge in details btw

• Like Like x 3
  49. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

The article is well written! The freight route to make the U.S. is very short,

50. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    CC: Welcome to the Rail World

Complete all training modules on Cane Creek
    Upplåst 9 jun @ 22:06
    [​IMG]
    CC: Serves all the West
    Complete all scenarios on Cane Creek
    Upplåst 9 jun @ 22:06
    [​IMG]
    CC: Pioneer