Tsw: Spring Update Available Now!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 3, 2018.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm not doubting you in the least, but I've never come across this strange phenomenon: can you tell me where you found it?

2. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

LastTrainToClarksville : what do you mean? The buggy tunnel lighting? Its in the sand patch tunnels.
    Inside the cab and in the outside view you have no difference, it's like driving in sunshine throgh the tunnel.

3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I thought they seemed to have sorted the tunnel occlusion issues out, well in the German route anyway, so I was hoping to see this updated within the GWE route (well bridge occlusion) but no and from the demo of the latest route there is still no occlusions under the bridges, I mean, even MSTS had a work around for darkness in tunnels, yet in TSW...........?? not good enough!

4. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

You mean the WSR demo on Twitch in which it is clearly stated the route is no-where near finished?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think he means NEC.

6. Scorpion71

I do and if it does have occlusions I'll gladly eat humble pie but I won't be putting the knives and forks out to eat it just yet.

7. hightower

hightower Guest

Out of interest, how are you all finding the signalling on NEC since the update? The ATC etc. seems to be working much more like it’s meant to but there’s clearly something wrong with the speed limits.

The in-cab system is commanding one thing (ie 20mph) and the HUD something completely different (ie 90mph). The issue, in service mode at least, is that the schedule is clearly based on the HUD speed limits. If you follow the ACSES & ATC you can’t get anywhere close to being on time. So QED, it now works correctly but you still have to turn it off to be on time, which defeats the object.

I find it’s particularly bad going in and out of Penn Station, where the speed limits are wildly different.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

The tunnels are still messed up. Most of the mainline is correct. cActUsjUiCe will be making a report sometime about this. Everything is much better than before.

9. hightower

hightower Guest

What about the signalling & speed limits specifically though? I wish they could get GWE running as smoothly as NEC though!

10. Anthony Pecoraro

That will be in his report.

11. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

There are a handful of things that still need to be fixed but overall the experience is much better.

• Like Like x 3
  12. LastTrainToClarksville

According to the EN-NEC Manual, p. 14, "Automatic Train Control is a signal-based cab signalling and train control system. Its purpose is to inform the engineer of the Maximum Authorised Speed (MAS) at any given time while operating on the route. As signal indications change they will be reflected on the display unit to the right of the main Train Operator Display." P. 15 of the same manual explains that, "ACSES, the Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System, is a form of Positive Train Control (PTC) that takes a much greater role in the safety of the train. While ATC has a very coarse view of the road ahead based on the signal aspects it receives and shows to the engineer, ACSES adds a clear view of all the speed limits along the line and any temporary speed restrictions that are in place. ACSES will guide the engineer down to speed reductions using a gradual change of Maximum Authorised Speed and the engineer need only follow this to achieve an optimum and safe speed."

So, the HUD displays the maximum permissible speed, while ATC and ACSES indicate the maximum Authorized (correct American English spelling) speed, which are, yes, frequently different. By the way, since I've learned how to use the ATC and ACSES systems, I've been able to complete sessions much more successfully than before, although I find that if I stay away from passenger sessions for more than a few days my learning curve slips quite a bit. In my experience, therefore, there is no QED involved.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Anthony Pecoraro

Yeah, once you learn it, it isn’t very difficult.

14. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Well the NEC route has been rendered unplayable, at least for northbound Amtrak trains. There's a spot in the Hudson River Tunnel where the service ends due to a signal passed at danger, however there is no signal around. The closest signal was about 100 feet ahead of me and it was yellow, not red. I tried restarting the service, playing different services, restarting the game, doing a file verification, but nothing works. The service ends in the same spot every time.

DTG doesn't fix problems, they only neglect existing problems and add new ones in. If anything these "updates" only make the game worse than it was before. Do us all a favor DTG and please stay away from the Northeast Corridor, at least in TSW.

15. Anthony Pecoraro

I think you are the only one having that issue

16. John Murphy

Well I'm still having it, therefore it's a problem to me. Besides, I highly doubt that I'm the ONLY one having this problem. All I know is that I tried it several times on several different services and they all ended at the same spot in the tunnel, with no red signal anywhere. This is the first time I've played TSW since the update because I was away visiting a friend all last week.

17. Anthony Pecoraro

Try verifying the integrity of the game files.

18. John Murphy

I already tried and it didn't work.

19. Anthony Pecoraro

I am hearing many people, myself included, who don’t have that problem. You may be doing something wrong.

20. Scorpion71

Doubt I'll ever eat that humble pie, surprise surprise!

21. John Murphy

I don't see how. I never had the problem before and I was driving the exact same way I normally do in that tunnel. I had ATC and ACSES turned off, so it's not like I got penalty braking for passing a signal too fast or something. I just don't know what I possibly could have done wrong.

I do know however that this problem happened for about a week, but now I can drive through the tunnel fine. Even on the same service that I first discovered the problem on. Again, I just drive through the tunnel at the posted speed limit and I have ATC and ACSES turned off. I got through fine. I'm guessing it was some kind of bug that somehow resolved itself, or an AI train up ahead in Penn Station getting stuck, because I didn't do anything on my end to fix it.

22. LastTrainToClarksville

Honestly, I don't recall driving through any tunnels on the Sand Patch route, much less any lighting in them. Where are they?

23. Daniel Bloch

Well there are two tunnels in the sand patch route, and one is very long. Do you drive with closed eyes?

• Like Like x 4
  24. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

20180408145639_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  25. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

Maybe he is just suffering from tunnel vision?

• Like Like x 5
  26. LastTrainToClarksville

I didn't write that there are not any tunnels, but that I don't recall them. Can't you read? Thanks, Northrail 1, for a decent, courteous reply.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Daniel Bloch

Yeah whatever

• Like Like x 1