Settle - Carlisle. Criminal If It’s Not Represented In Tsw2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by shhweeet#4292, Jun 6, 2021.

1. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Just watched these two videos about the Settle - Carlisle line on YouTube. Surely this historic line and the highest in England should be in TSW2?

• Like Like x 2
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It probably will be made at some point but there are other famous routes that have only just become possible for TSW, like the Brighton route coming in Rush Hour.

• Like Like x 2
  3. shhweeet#4292

As you say many famous routes vying to be made. Settle - Carlisle has to be a bit of a priority though hasn’t it? Highest line in England and one of the most historic, fantastic game play with is long drag steep gradient, wonderful scenery, wonderful tunnels and viaducts including the famous Ribblehead viaduct, and it would be a brilliant testament to the thousands of men who died making this line using pick axes and shovels. Also a thank you to all the campaigners who fought to save this line from unjust closure plans. Imagine an extreme weather mode with deep snow drifts to clear using a train plough.

Yep lots of competition but surely Settle - Carlisle should be near the top of the list?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is a famous route and more so since the 1980s due to the campaign to stop its planned closure. But that doesn’t make it a special case to be made earlier in TSW’s plan. DTG may want to wait until they can do it justice and that means waiting until the software is ready and they can fit its production into their normal schedule without cutting corners on quality. It will come, but only when its ready. That might be after steam is introduced so that can be included. They may have it pegged down as a steam route, we just don’t know.

• Like Like x 1
  5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

It might be a good should for Spirit of Steam, but WCML, ECML, MML, Edinburgh - Glasgow, Wales, West Highland Line, Anglia, South West, Liv - Man etc. Would probably be higher on the list.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shhweeet#4292

If your talking about modern day routes and trains I’d agree but for a 70s, 80s era and / or steam route I’d say Settle - Carlisle is a pretty vital dlc tbh.

7. trainsimplayer

I wouldn't say "vital" is the word either.
    It would be good however saying "vital" us a massive overstatement. No route is vital really.

8. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

There are some beautiful stations along the route as well e.g. Appleby.

The route was available in MSTS back in the day but I remember being underwhelmed by it.

9. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

The Settle - Carlisle route is absolutely amazing, a real classic route in TS, so I would be surprised if it didn't come to TSW in the near future, as has happened to other classic TS routes. However, due to the fact that it is 70 miles it would probably not all be represented, like what happened with Ruhr-Sieg. Maybe Settle - Appleby, since it would be good to have the most scenic sections, i.e. The Ribblehead Viaduct.

10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is indeed iconic, although I wouldn't say vital. It is indeed beautiful but certainly in a modern day setting not that interesting a line operationally, even worse in the 70's and 80's where there was a very sparse passenger service as BR wanted to close it. The variety of freight would probably be the most interesting aspect and of course the steam specials.

Set in the days of steam, where it was an important freight and express passenger route, then it would be a very interesting route. It would also be a challenge to drive steam on the route, especially up the long drag.

The worse aspect of the TS1 route for me is having Settle as the southern ending of the route, it may be called the Settle to Carlisle as the line started at Settle Junction, but Settle was a small and fairly insignificant station. It would be like the London to Brighton route ending at Wivelsfield! Skipton would be a much more suitable start point. There are two freeware versions of the Settle to Carlisle route for TS1 where it started at Skipton, a 1975 version and a steam period version.

I think the route is a bit too long for current TSW standards and I don't really think it is a route where you would want it represented in half measures.

• Like Like x 6
  11. shhweeet#4292

12. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Having previously mentioned the MSTS version, I thought I’d look up the TS Classic version on Steam (which I wasn’t aware of). I was surprised to find that it was already in my library but I didn’t remember buying it. Turns out it is in the Great British Railway Journeys bundle which I bought in a sale for a couple of the other routes that I needed in order to run freeware routes. D’oh!

I’ll have to give it a drive now to see what it is like.

It would be an ideal candidate for the British route in Spirit of Steam (although I’m really hoping for Riveira Line through to Kingswear) but I agree that is is likely that it would be shortened for TSW which would be a shame.

13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The Riviera Line to Kingswear would be a much more interesting route as far as I am concerned, and also contains some iconic stretches of line and some fearsome climbs on the Newton Abbot to Kingswear section, this is why it is one of my favourite and most used TS1 routes. If they based service mode on a summer Saturday timetable it would be very atmospheric to see a procession of trains passing along the Dawlish sea wall.

My worry is how accurate DTG will be in terms of providing enough interesting loco's and stock, they did a good job with the TS1 version but we won't get the same amount of stock as that version I am sure. You would want at least two of the 4-6-0's really, a Hall and Castle the best choices and at least one tank engine, and would we only get mark 1 carriages with a TSW version? Masses of opportunities for DLC of course. If the Brixham branch was included and the branch train was a Pannier propelling a corridor coach backwards and forwards as per the original TS1 release, I will be protesting loudly!

Of course this is all hypothetical.

14. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

On the subject of vital I'd say ask the people of Dent or Ribblesdale. Plus considering it is the only reasonable alternative for diverting traffic away from the wcml between Preston and Carlisle it's pretty vital as a back up.
    It's not only a picturesque but a hell of a challenging route, see blea moor in any winter!
    The sheer cost in lives to build just the Ribblehead Viaduct (100+) should be justification enough to include the line.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Hundreds of thousands of lives were lost building railways all over the world. Unfortunately, the Settle- Carlisle is not the most egregious example by far. However, notwithstanding the deplorable loss of life in building it, this route is certainly worth including in TSW2 at some future date, among many other iconic lines.

16. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Aren’t some wcml traffic diverted down this line?

17. trainsimplayer

I would imagine that would only be in the event of the West Coast Mainline being at a reduced capacity or closed.

18. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Yeah, down to Hellifield then onto Clitheroe and Blackburn before rejoining just south of Preston.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. shhweeet#4292

Quite often the Settle - Carlisle line is used as a diversion line for when the WCML is closed. Accidents, locomotive failures, overhead power line failures, land slips,etc. It’s quite heartening seeing a trusty diesel pulling one of those new fangled electric powered trains around the trouble. ;)

20. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

16D03A2E-448F-4B9B-8209-0755F3422AC3.jpeg I have been on this line before , and it was a nice journey . I managed to get myself a fridge magnet at one of the stations

• Like Like x 3
  21. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I like the Carlisle area very much, but most of the route for TS is rather boring. Straight forward op and down driving. It might be more interesting as a historic route though.

• Like Like x 1
  22. shhweeet#4292

If players like Trans Pennine it wouldn’t be boring because it’s quite similar with regards to up and down driving. Trans Pennine is one of the best British routes in TSW2 ( My opinion ) with regards to game play and skill because you can’t switch off and have to be on the ball 100% Settle - Carlisle would probably need even more concentration so as not to speed and get braking right etc so it wouldn’t be boring. Far from it.

• Like Like x 2