Uk Routes Map In The Menu

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by deanmacgregor, May 31, 2021.

1. deanmacgregor

deanmacgregor Active Member

I just thought of an idea for a map view option for the drive tab. Alternatively to quick drive, standard, career, free road etc...maybe add another tab or even just a little button for "map".

This would bring up a view of the world (zoomable and/or drop down options to show different countries) with green lines of routes you've purchased, Red lines for those you've yet to purchase and blue lines to represent Freeware/3rd party routes you have installed and maybe another colour representing your own routes you're working on or have made. Maybe even options to show/toggle to view lines not already made (current UK network, heritage and long gone Dr beeching cuts). Any colour lines might run parrelell to each other where parts of the routes share common areas.

This could be editable by users like wikipedia style to create lines on the map with links to their 3rd party or workshop route for others to see/toggle on or off. Soon we would have the UK almost complete. The lines which haven't been made yet could maybe be drawn in by someone as a faint grey line and this would encourage the community to create them in time.

Clicking on green and blue lines would load up quick drive or scenarios for that route. Red routes would link through to the steam store page for that route. This feature is not only useful for the player but would also be a great business tool for dovetail as it helps drives sales by being a visual representation of what the customer still has to collect. A lot of people like a sense of completion, routes are collectable and this would help persuade your customers to add more content to their collection more and more, bit by bit.

Please consider this for the next TS update, thank you Dovetail.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I wish more new route releases would include an illustrated map to show different areas of the route. For instance North London Line included a really great route map on the store page but most other routes haven't had something similar.
    North London Line.jpg
    I think it's a great way to show off a new route and would be a good way to gauge what a route is like before buying it.

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Most of the routes on steam have the manual on the webpage, and most of those have the route map in them. I guess it's one more click, but it is available

4. AirbourneAlex

Do many people actually read or know about the manual? Unless you need to find something specific I don't really use them. A map would be better off being displayed on the store page in my opinion.

5. ARuscoe

Maybe if they are informed that information they need is in there then they would

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The advantage of putting the map in the Manual is you can zoom in and out but the picture on the web is restricted in size

7. ARuscoe

You can zoom on almost any browser (especially on windows if your mouse has a wheel), but the map attached above is of poor quality so it didn't help...

8. AirbourneAlex

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021