Br 204 - Throttle Working Correctly?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Lamplight, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Hey there,

after some months of not using the Br 204, I revisited it today. One thing that‘s been bugging me is the throttle. It would appear to me that notches 4-6 don‘t actually do anything.

Are they functional and I‘m missing something? Are they non-funtional and should be fixed? Is it prototypical that they don‘t appear to do anything?

I tried comparing the acceleration between notch 3 and 6 but it didn‘t seem to have any effect based on both the speedometer and the (even if broken and unusable) accelerometer.

I‘d be very grateful for any help here. I tried finding a real world 204 manual but haven‘t been lucky so far.

Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 3
  2. li150special

li150special Well-Known Member

I have the same impression. Also, on notch 1 this thing already goes like hell. Maybe it has to do with the hydraulic transmission, but I think it is not really accurate.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I will try on PC in a minute and let you know.

EDIT

It looks disturbing. Gauges appear dead. I'm not a huge fan of the 204 - I don't remember if it's always been that way. Notches 5/6 don't seem to increase tractive effort. Preservation update for MSB is coming. Maybe it's worth reporting it still :|

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Lamplight

Interesting point. Perhaps we should try finding a cab ride to get a feel for it.

Pretty sure it‘s been this way since the original release for TSW2020.

I don‘t think it‘s on Adam‘s radar. I doubt that his team will take care of Rivet‘s products - it‘ll be up to Rivet to fix the 204 if it is indeed broken.

Sadly, I have to agree. I‘m a huge fan of the Br 212 (the West German Br 204 - both originally called V100) and thus want to love Rivet‘s 204, but with the throttle and the non-working HUD for PZB, they‘re really making it difficult for me. Especially considering how good the other German diesel-hydraulic we got (Br 363) is.

• Like Like x 4
  5. li150special

I made a post in Rivet Games's forum in the German support section about two weeks ago. No response so far...

6. Lamplight

That‘s disheartening. I‘ll probably raise a ticket for this later on. I doubt it‘ll do anything, but it can‘t hurt to try.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

It’s worse for me :) sometimes when I’ll go in notches 6 straight the steering wheel throttle is stuck and I can’t move to any other position I have to quit the game

8. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

The physics are just broken and notches 4-6 don't do anything.

9. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

The way how the transmission is set up is wrong. And it is not fixable without redoing it all again from scratch. I told that to Rivet before the release, but they didn't changed it because of that. The transmission acts like in a car right now, so the RPM of the engine is dependent on the speed of the loco. The real loco does not do this.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  10. Lamplight

Thank you for jumping in here. I didn‘t know your team worked on the 204 as well :D

I guess then that the 204 will stay the way it is. No one is going to be willing (or able - they’re a business after all) to re-do the entire loco.

• Like Like x 2
  11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Welp, looks like an item is about to get removed from the wish list, thanks for your input in this thread :)

12. Maik Goltz

I didn't worked on the Rivet 204. I did the TS1 204 setup and sound and that thing works perfectly correct. Rivet used my prepared and edited sound from the TS1 version for its TSW 204 (the source recordings were made by DTG itself, so that is ok so far).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lamplight

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like Like x 1
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

As for the "no HUD PZB" thing- that's because there's no PZB display in the RL cab either. Just a buzzer (PZB on these engines was a backfit, simply a black box installation).

15. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

From a customer perspective, the DB BR 204 is a DTG product. It is 100% a DTG product, published by DTG and sold by DTG.

You can direct your concerns to DTG. DTG might well then arrange for issues to be addressed by a team based in Chatham or a team based in Scotland - but this detail should ideally be invisible to the customer. You are perfectly entitled to ask DTG to make arrangements to make the product fit for purpose, if you have such concerns with it, because it is a DTG product. You could quite reasonably create a ticket for DTG to resolve.

NB: I bought this DLC having very very low expectations. I tried it out under TSW 2020 and I was pleasantly surprised - in fact, I thought it was a really good DLC (the limited content seemed quite high quality to me), and I am glad that I bought it. I didn't feel that there were any particular issues with the transmission, but I am not an expert on hydraulic shunters.... ;-)

16. Maik Goltz

That is not correct. A BR204 does have the AZ720 unit, what is the PZB display for the PZ80R.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lamplight

Here are the PZB indicators:
    [​IMG]
    Source
    A PZB equipped engine with no PZB displays would require a lot of guesswork happening. That doesn't happen on a real railroad.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  18. Lamplight

That may be true from a legal perspective. It's also what I would have done if I had sent a ticket. However, through the streams, we know a little about the inside workings of DTG (which we wouldn't know in the case of other companies). With that knowledge, I can make a reasonable assessment that Adam's crew will not tackle the 204.

And we can all agree that this issue won't be fixed no matter whose door you bang on since neither Rivet nor DTG will re-do the entire technical setup for the 204 for an issue that I doubt many people will even notice.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

the above screen is in the loco in game as well (even if hard to follow)

20. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Yes - I totally agree with you.

Without wanting to digress too far, I would say that this issue does highlight a general concern/frustration held by many over the vagueness with which the Chatham TSW people and the Scottish TSW people intend to de-bug, fix, maintain and "preserve" (continuously improve) those parts of TSW 2 that happen to be made in Scotland. There shouldn't be a difference with the way that any of the DLCs are handled.

I think it would be useful if DTG could make a clear statement, committing their ongoing support to all of the DLCs that they publish in their name, whether they were made wholly in Chatham or partly/initially developed in Scotland. I find it a bit grating that the reality of who is responsible for the Scottish-branded DLCs is blurred by unreasonably low expectations (expressed by the community) of what Rivet will or will not do in providing customer support.

Regarding the DB BR 204 itself - I would still recommend that people purchase it, because it is SO nice.... and quite a bit different to handle with its power application. But if there is a problem with the way SimuGraph is modelling the behaviour of the transmission (and then how the audio is tied to it), then that is something worth addressing. It is worth asking DTG to comment on whether DTG will get it fixed, rather than just assuming that the Scottish team won't want anything more to do with working on it, so it won't happen, because anyway you know, the boundaries and responsibilities aren't completely clear to everyone, and maybe some would consider the throttle issue to be too minor or esoteric to bother with.

It's worth asking the question - can it please be fixed?

• Like Like x 2
  21. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

We can only "Hope" ;)

• Like Like x 1
  22. li150special

Still no response from any of the Rivet team in the Rivet Games Forum, "Support DE" section LOL.

When they make Penzance-Truro, the class 150 will probably become the fastest MU ever. TGV go home...

23. Lamplight

I wouldn‘t hold my breath. According to what Maik Goltz said, Rivet were aware of their mistake prior to releasing the 204. And seeing how much work would be required to fix it, we can reasonably assume that it‘ll never be fixed.
    Still, a short reply like Thanks for your report. We are aware of the issue but there are no plans for fixing it currently. would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  24. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Like the huge gap at the buffers when two 204s are coupled they never patched it and it took them half a year to fix the livery issue for IOW so don’t hope for anything from RG

25. CryPosthuman

CryPosthuman Member

Still not fixed, right!?
    Seems it is also an issue for the PC version. I really can not imagine working at DTG or partners, I would be in constant shame...

26. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Think its an necrobump right?

• Like Like x 1
  27. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

No, not fixed sadly. I think rivet said they have no plans to fix it either.

28. CowBoyWolf

Think i also remember that they said it would be easier to rebuild the whole loco instead

• Like Like x 1
  29. Lamplight

If you scroll up a bit, that’s literally what Maik Goltz said in post #9. The hard truth is that the 204 will never be fixed (or rather re-done). Best thing we can hope for is probably that a Br 211/212 might one day come and fill that niche.

• Like Like x 2
  30. CowBoyWolf

Ah sorry did not part since i got kick to the latest message

• Like Like x 1
  31. CryPosthuman

CryPosthuman Member

That just shows that they should fire their tech designer...

32. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree and that problem does show up on Luzern Sursee Arosa Line. Perhaps Just Trains make a Deutsche Reichsbahn DDR route to have a properly working DR V100 DR BR 111/112/114/199.8 then have that route layer the working DR V100 DB BR 204 298 which is a DB BR204 with 363 couplers to Main Spessart Bahn. That way Main Spessart Bahn gets a working 204 rather than this rivet games mess