Train Simulator 2022

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nwp1, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I didn't knew that, it would certainly be a good oportunity for scenarios (and a bad for wallets haha)

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this will be a US only release if including ATSF/BNSF Traction or if it will have a pach to apply logos like the Arizona Divide

3. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

route is neat but i'm expecting all rolling stock and locomotives to be reused. if it southern pacific it be sd40-2 tunnel motors sd40 maybe dash9. if union pacific it be gp38-2 sd40s sd70m.

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

But Donner Pass' locos are way too dated, I don't think they'll reuse that. The models, in the other hand, may probably be reused from previous routes but the textures shall be new. In the case it is UP era, then yes, it will certainly be reused, which it would be a shame.

5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Specially if they reuse the SD40 because the cab has very poor textures. Anyway is the same with sd70, es44ac, they are pretty old and they deserve to be replaced but we all know that's not gonna happen.

6. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

For the 5 original locos that came with Donner Pass.....

C44-9W
    Definitely needs an upgrade, but Dovetail hasn't touch a Dash 9 in quite a long time, I don't expect this to come with the route.

SD40T-2
    Can source the model from Solider Summit and add Southern Pacific road specific details to the locomotive.

SD40-2
    Shouldn't even been with Donner in the 1st place, SP never owned any SD40-2's. Hope it gets replaced by an SD40 or SD40R sourced from the Clinchfield model.

GP9
    Could be rebuilt from the older model, like how Clinchfield's GP7's were built from the PRR GP7 models form HSC

SW1500
    Another very dated model that's seen no newer version made, could be replaced with a newer model, or replaced by an MP15DC with reference materials sourced from TSW's MP15DC's (Caltrain's MP15DC's are Ex-Southern Pacific)

I just hope the paint is better on them as well. (The middle is the default DP stock, top is a 3rd party repaint, bottom are other DLC locos)
    Railworks64 2021-06-09 16-54-11-20.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I am not in the US so I can't check, but aren't the BNSF Dash-9 better than DP ones?
    What is obvious is that at least the textures should be redone to new standards (like DTM SD45T-2 or DTG SD70).

8. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The BNSF Dash 9 pack has very weird physics out of the box, its couplers would pull apart so far the couplers would be floating between 2 locomotives, and their dynamic brakes are way too strong, as they can derail a train or in one rare case I had 2 fuse together.

Of course after a few mods, Trurails repaints and Searchlight Simulations enhancement pack, they became decent locomotives.
    Screenshot_3 zone layout_48.30628--113.32610_12-01-27.jpg

Not sure if DTG can put in the work to add them for this route however (Especially if it is set before the 1990's)

9. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Generally agree, although I think the Dash 9's fairly likely if it's set in the SP given that they were some of the newest power on it. So it would make a lot of sense for a 90's incarnation of the route, which it would most likely be if it's a SP route. I do agree we probably won't see the SW1500, but that's because I don't see them including a switcher at all, there's a few decent yards sure but the focus is certainly gonna be on main line ops, and they can use other types to fill that role.

DTG have tossed in previously stand alone locos quite often in routes, so there's a few I could see being reskinned or reworked and included with it that I think are worth bringing up. The SP SD70M could be include, not sure how it compares to the UP one, but I can't imagine it's in worse shape than either the Dash 9 or SW1500. SP rostered the largest fleet of GP60's, so reworking the N-Line version for inclusion would be a real good candidate, could also be reskinned for a UP incarnation. I also think reskinning either the GP38-2 or GP40-2 would be very likely to provide some lighter power for the line, especially if they don't have a switcher.

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

So which one do you people think will be part of TS2022 now, Tehachapi or NEC?

12. raptorengineer

well i was wrong. it seem that there is model dev team for ts2021. i didn't expect to have something like UP ac4400cw and sd70ace and bnsf stuff on it. wow what a surprise from dtg.

13. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

Tehachapi pass could be a bundle option now.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think DTG will get more money from selling Tehachapi as a Stand Alone or as an Add-on for TS2022 and my bet is still for the NEC Washington - Baltimore route

• Like Like x 1
  15. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

I feel like it might be the other way around, that Tehachapi is the main US route, and you get Washington - Baltimore as part of the US edition or whatever.

16. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

I wish they'd get rid of those non-prototypical joint sounds when going over and under bridges with a core update.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I would suggest that it is prototypical.
    Welded track still has joints in places to allow for heat expansion.
    I live within earshot of a railway line. The track is welded but there is a join under a bridge, possibly for sound proofing as it is in an urban area. As metal overbridges have expansion joints then the track also needs to expand.

• Like Like x 2
  18. martschuffing

Can't say I've heard joints going under every bridge on the trains that I have been on, or over bridges for that matter. Does CWR have expansion joints in the UK? "CWR, therefore, requires less maintenance than jointed track and will remain in accurate alignment for longer. But if it is continuous, with no expansion joints, how does it cope with thermal expansion in hot weather?

Its laid in tension by hydraulically stretching it before cutting to length and welding to the previous length. Sufficient tension is applied to achieve a 'Stress-Free Temperature' (SFT) of 27 degrees C (i.e to relieve the tension by expansion the rail would need to be heated by the sun to 27C, whereupon it would neither be in tension or compression).

The rail temperature at which the expansion stress has the potential to start causing buckles on normal, plain track in good condition is 32C above stress-free temperature. So, an SFT of 27C means that rail temperature has to reach 59C before mitigation measures are made (such as blanket speed restrictions). And a rail temp of 59C in high summer, with blue sky, (worst case) requires a shade air temperature of 41C, something which has never been recorded in this country."
    I think you will find it is un prototypical:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  19. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I didn't say every bridge and perhaps you might not hear it inside a soundproofed train.
    Are you sure you are not hearing the unrealistic echo type sound as a train goes under a bridge.

20. martschuffing

You know as well as I do that every bridge either over or under even rail crossings in Ts has joints on either side, totally non-prototypical.
    If you listen to the audio in that video you can clearly hear jointed track, even in a well-insulated 350! Just not under/over every bridge.

21. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Please don't tell me what I know.
    As I said, there is a pretty unrealistic reverb sound under and over bridges.

TBH is it really a game breaker and would you expect the jointed rails to be accurately placed in TS?

22. martschuffing

Yes, it is a deal-breaker for me, was before an update to the core several years ago. Have a ride on AP's Wherry lines mate, accurately placed jointed track as per reality.

• Like Like x 1
  23. NEC Railfan

But is it a core update issue or a route/asset developer issue, since apparently AP was able to do it correctly.

24. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

So you would expect DTG to make a core update to put every rail joint on every route in the correct place?

25. martschuffing

Did I say that? Before an update that caused this issue, there were no joint sounds as is now the case, It was a core change, listen to AP's track sounds, joint sounds are all at bridges over/under and level crossings, I asked Rich whether he could get rid of them from his pack. (see quote below) Most of DTG's routes are modern-day so it will invariably be CWR, they couldn't even get point sounds right, starts at front of the points instead of where the joint actually is, c'mon! Glad they got that whoopsy right for TSW.

Actual quote from Rich: "Things such as joint sounds when entering or exiting a tunnel or bridge are hard-coded into the sim too."

So DTG if you put it in when it wasn't hardcoded originally, does that mean it can be removed? Please for my auditory sanity put the sim back to the way it was originally.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  26. martschuffing

Apart from bridges and crossings as that is core and can't be avoided.
    It may not be an issue for most but for me, the soundscape of a railway is, got it right for BVE surely it is not beyond the wit of man to do the sounds accurately? As a kid from the 60's hearing all that music from steel on steel has never left me, I love the sounds that trains make in all their noisy glory.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  27. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the run sounds of most US freight cars sound like those on the sherman hill route and Feather River canyon - they sound amazing, unlike some of DTG's US freight cars that sound like a horse clip clopping when they go over a joint or set of points.

28. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

29. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

There has been some debate about Tehachapi Pass being in 2022. This is never going to happen, or with any version. Here's why:

"BNSF GE ES44DC locomotive"

That would mean making two versions of every single bundle, whether it be UK, Swiss, or just the basic bundle. Though an American version could add that route to it, but then there would be two brand new American routes in the 2022 bundle, so that will wait until 2023 at the earliest. So don't expect that in the bundle.

• Like Like x 1
  30. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I don't know how Steam/DTG do the same of Tehachapi Pass but there does not seem to be two versions to choose from

When you get a Bundle thru Steam they don't just send you one file.
    I recently re-added a few US routes and even though it was one download from Steam it was still separate files

There is no reason TS2022 would be excluded from the bundle as Steam would just pick the required parts

31. Cyclone

But yet Raton Pass and others still show multiple versions. You can actually look in the Steam store and find two versions.

32. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

But not for Tehachapi or Arizona Divide as they are Newer routes

33. Cyclone

Went to SteamDB out of interest after mentioning Raton. The US version gets "Product ThreeHundredThirtyFive (704281)" while the international version gets "Product ThreeHundredThirtyFour (704280)".

So looked up Tehachapi. It works the same way. International sees "ES44AC (Unbranded)" (1560937) and the other has "ES44AC (US Branded)" (1560936). Out of curiosity, tried both store links. The link for the US branded version fails. Which confirms there still are two different products in the database. You just don't see the one that doesn't apply to you.

34. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Yes it does...!!!

35. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Neither of the ES44ACs (It's DC for heaven's sake DTG) link to a store page from what I can tell, only the core route itself does, which seems to be the same across both regions. Also I checked the reviews on the Steam page from my client and I was able to find a German review once I disabled the language filter. So while there's technically two different packages I'm pretty certain the store page is the same for both.

36. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

This may or may not apply to DLC's I'm not 100% sure but as far as Region locked (sometimes called Geo-locked) games go not only can you not purchase them outside of your matching IP and billing addresses region but if you attempt to play them once purchased outside of those said regions (i.e. if you circumvented it with a VPN to purchase it and then returned to your legitimate IP and billing information) you will not be able to, like I said I don't know if this applies to DLC content (other than the purchase stage) or not.

Either way it's a breach of your Steam/Valve T&C's and that'd be a lot of money for me to be banned from, 275 games in Steam Library and at least 8 games with full DLC content (and of course my 163 TS DLC's) just to add a logo that I could make and add myself in less than 15 minutes from scratch most likely.

Certainly not worth me risking it for a BNSF biscuit (not that I would because I don't care for US stuff anyway)

37. Cyclone

I didn't follow links for the train. I followed links for each version of the route. The US version of the route, on Steam, does not load outside the US, and I assume vice versa. My theory remains accurate.

38. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

I think it's just the folder that's wrong (but that doesn't really matter that much to be fair - it's named correctly in game, it doesn't matter because you generally don't see the filenames in game that's all I meant, and also it's a pain to change that now)

Attached Files:

39. Cyclone

Forget that. If it's already used on the Workshop or in custom scenario projects, changing it now just breaks them. Folder directories generally can't be changed, though I wish internationalizing Stevens Pass and Marias Pass could just happen the same way South Wales Coastal was updated, creating a version of each with the train logos removed (and any route trademarks if there are any, with new textures), and giving the new one a new name. Problem is it would become a top shelf route price with no real sales for two years for no good reason while Americans continue to get good deals. I'd say bringing international versions down to half price should help alleviate that issue, and do the same with the BNSF versions (they're old). That may help a bit.

But like I said, I don't see DTG doing this, and not because it's old, but rather because they didn't make either route. A shame, really. I hope G-Trax might be able to try to get another version up here, but I can't see it happening after so long has passed.

40. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

Marias Pass is a DTG Route?

41. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Not a chance... :D

42. VictorHugoVS

VictorHugoVS Active Member

Yes, Steven Pass it isn't.

43. Cyclone

Ah, true, RSC equals DTG today. I didn't consider that for a moment.

44. raptorengineer

i'm guessing ts2022 will support windows 11.

45. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

By all accounts i’ve seen, it already does.

46. Cyclone

The better question is whether Windows 11 will support TS2022.

• Like Like x 2
  47. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rule out DTG having another stab at releasing a new UK route alongside the annual release. I agree that Cross City is likely to be in the TS2022 bundle. I'd say SWR Woking to Southampton and Alton is likely as the extra route or as part of the TS 2022 UK release.

Must be time for something a bit left-field like Liverpool Metro, Manchester's much expanded electrified network or some London BR Blue era AC electrics.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Best leave 1st gen AC electrics to AP.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Cyclone

There is debate over whether NEC or Tehachapi is going to be in the release. My logic is this: being a BNSF route, they will not want to bundle the latter into every bundle and have to make two versions of every bundle. Bad idea. They will hold it for a year, then in 2023, they might add it to the American bundle and make two editions of that. So NEC has a better chance. Though there is that one less well-received route that might take the slot and further lower the perceived value of the package, too.

50. NEC Railfan

I think it's gonna be:
    UK: Birmingham Cross City
    DE: Riesa - Dresden
    NA: Washington - Baltimore
    2022 is definitely gonna be year of the electrics, just as this year was year of the diesel.