Loco Proposal: Prototype Class 89 89001 "avocet"

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by BackdatedTrainsim, Apr 6, 2018.

1. BackdatedTrainsim

BackdatedTrainsim Member

As the ECML Peterborough - York was released on Steam, this locomotive would slip right in as a perfect follow-up DLC.

History is well-detailed on the AC Locomotive Group website and Wiki but in a nutshell:
    It was built in 1986 as a prototype for a new fleet of mixed-traffic locos for the completion of the ECML electrification. But the design was passed over for the class 91 and no more were built. It was named Avocet at Sandy station in 1989 by the prime minister Margaret Thatcher as part of the opening of the new RSPB centre nearby. 89001 was in service until 1992 when a lack of non-standard parts and other issues meant it was expensive to repair. It was withdrawn and preserved at the Midland Railway Centre before GNER returned it to service to work Kings Cross - Leeds trains covering for unavailable 91s. The same problems meant it was withdrawn again shortly later and bought for preservation by the AC Locomotive Group and put on display at Barrow Hill. Now, the ACLG are attempting to make it operational once again.
    Read more at: http://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/stock89001.php

So this would be a brilliant addon especially for the ECML Peterborough - York where in its first service life it worked. It is exactly the right era to match the route, and the loco could be packaged with a variety of stock such as Mk1s, Mk2s or Mk3s in either Intercity or BR Blue Grey, and even a buffered HST power car as well.
    And the recently-released APT-E addon is proof that quirkiness does indeed sell, and despite it's non-universal appeal, 89001 was still a fabulous locomotive. It is for all intents and purposes the electric HST, a 125mph 6-axle loco adapted for both fast passenger services and freight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 19
  2. williams6hn

williams6hn New Member

Yesss! We need one of these to run between London Kings Cross and Edinburgh Waverly! Especially with the current release of Peterborough to York!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lord Bickerstaff

Lord Bickerstaff Member

Absolutely! One of the lesser known iconic loco's I would love a chance to drive the old 'Badger' haha

• Like Like x 1
  4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

One funky locomotive, but definitely one that I wish got more attention. The design is quite unique!

• Like Like x 2
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. PVRS Productions

PVRS Productions Member

To be fair, I think it would be good to have an electric locomotive bundle of the locomotives owned by AC Loco Group with the class 81-85 and the class 89. It would be good for an electric heritage bundle.

• Like Like x 5
  7. NotAgain

NotAgain Member

Simply put, I love it, and I want it.

8. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Oh yes- like this idea. I think, done right, this sort of thing could be beneficial to both TS and the heritage groups.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BackdatedTrainsim

BackdatedTrainsim Member

And today it was revealed in the March Madness stream than 89001 has been made!
    Very happy and thank you to the DTG team for making it happen! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Yay it's on the stream! I asked Matt and he said it's coming out next Thursday. The hype is real!

11. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

They've done it now...!!