Worried My Ps4 Won't Be Able To Handle Rush Hour

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by traingeek241, Jun 13, 2021.

1. traingeek241

traingeek241 Member

Hi all,
    I have owned my 500gb PS4 since mid 2015 and I think it's currently near the end of it's life span due to the fan working overtime.
    My main concern is will it struggle running the Rush Hour DLC?
    Many thanks

-T

• Like Like x 2
  2. stephen220378

stephen220378 Active Member

It will be fine.

• Like Like x 5
  3. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

It depends on how DTG decides to deal with the last gen consoles running Rush Hour. A high end PC can support up to 100 passengers at stations/on trains, while a last gen console can only handle 20. Maybe they will limit the number of passengers for consoles. As for the increased rail traffic, I fear a HMA situation: DTG disables layers on consoles, or they add an option to enable layers on consoles, so you can turn some/all of them off for a route. Since Bahnstrecke Riesa-Dresden will be an extremely busy route with the most layers in any route for Rush Hour, I think us console players will be left with little layers until DTG completes the core optimisation work for TSW2.

To answer your question, if your PS4 is near the end of its lifespan, it might struggle running the dlc. The older the console, the more likely it is that you'll experience performance issues while running a CPU heavy train simulator. This is also the same if a console is more worn down than another. A newer console is less likely to struggle than an older console of the same model. I'm pretty sure your console will be able to handle the dlc, at 15fps with some stuttering in between (depending on the route/train you're driving).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  4. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

It's tough to say with what little information we have so far. As such, everything here is purely speculation until we get closer to the launch date (whenever that is).
    Currently one of the most demanding routes on consoles is HMA, so maybe we can use that as starting point.
    Out of the box, with just the route itself and no additional layers, there's something like 320+ services that utilizes 2 different trainsets. That's not too bad, but as you add more and more layers, the service count increases to over 400, with a potential of 8 (I think?) different trainsets. Even with just one or two layers enabled, there were reports of game crashes and poor performance (speaking from personal experience, I never managed to get the game to crash while having the MSB layer activated, which was done through an exploit you could do back when this route was released. I have a PS4 Slim model. Other might have slightly different experiences)

Keeping this in mind, it's been said that the Rush Hour route will generally have more traffic when compared to other routes. More specifically, Matt has stated in the Rush Hour Announcement stream, that the London to Brighton route will have the busiest timetable in game. Presumably, this could mean that it too has over 400+ services, with a selection of two trainsets.
    I'm inclined to believe this will be the case with no additional layers, just the base route itself.
    Indeed, if this is the amount of traffic they're targeting for, then maybe they have deemed its possible for it to perform fine on consoles? After all, DTG has supposedly been working to optimize the game and have it run more efficiently, according to the roadmap. Perhaps this optimization work can greatly benefit the Rush Hour routes?

The best case scenario is that DTG keeps true to its word, and keep the gameplay experience the same across all platforms. Which would mean having more traffic while keeping the performance about the same.
    If not, then it's possible that we might see a reduced timetable on consoles, much like is the case with Great Western Express. It could be that the PS5 version will have full access while the PS4 does not. Again, the details are rather murky at the moment. Maybe we'll have a clearer picture before launch.

By the way if you think your PS4 is suffering from poor performance, there are ways to help improve things. You could clean the fans, rebuild the database/defrag the hard drive, get an SSD, etc.
    There's plenty of tutorials online for this stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LiquidShadows

LiquidShadows Well-Known Member

I was about to say the same thing. To the original poster, I also have an original PS4 that I purchased in May of 2014, but by 2020 it was sounding like the Dallas International Airport. So, I bought a T9 Security screwdriver and a can of compressed air, took the thing apart, cleaned it out really well and put it back together (YouTube was a lifesaver with walking me through the breakdown). The difference in fan noise was night and day -- I'd say it lowered it by ~75 to 80%. Also, like skyMutt said, I bought a 2TB internal HDD and a 6TB external HDD which gave me virtually unlimited storage space. If you have the expendable finances and can do it, I'd suggest both of these options to help cut your old console some slack.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

I never, repeat, NEVER noticed ANY performance difference between my 2014 PS4 and newer PS4 Pros, according to YouTube gameplay vids. Maybe the fan will struggle a bit, but nothing to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

On a side note, I’ve never heard the PS5 fans when playing TSW 2. My PS4 Pro sounded like a Boeing 747.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

If you have the money , I’d get a new PS4 pro before release . Even better if PS5

• Like Like x 1
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't forget, in addition to Rush Hour there's also the summer update and a move from UE4.23 to UE4.26 - which is likely to have performance benefits as well as being able to determine which flavour of playstation is being used, so it might run better, but DTG should also be able to tweak what runs on your box so that it doesn't floor it (too much)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

This is why I upgraded to a PS5 a few months ago. My PS4 (purchased on launch day) is slowly grinding to a halt, the fan goes crazy, even with the UE upgrade, Rush Hour made my decision easy and I'm happy to go to next-gen.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

Many of us would like to buy a PS5. The problem is that the PS5 cannot be bought at the moment. And even a year it won't get better.

• Like Like x 4
  12. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

You've just got to put the work in the morning it goes on sale, there's enough information online to find out when PS5's are dropping.

13. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Isn’t their a new design PS5 with performance improvements about to be launched? If so it’s made the current ones obsolete before anyone really got much of a chance to get it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I think so, not sure when it's due out. Given DTG are still making routes with last gen in mind then I don't see the need to upgrade further, just yet.

15. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Rebuild your database.
    Remove the top cover and get rid of any dust.
    Leave the cover off.

Ok so it doesn't look great, but the fan noise will stop. At least it did for me. And it makes it easier to clean the fan every couple of weeks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  16. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

It is always worth remembering that a PS4, even the earliest PS4 you can buy, is actually quite a powerful machine with incredibly good GPU performance that is well matched to UE4 applications, and is a system that doesn't have Windows 10 weighing it down. A PS4 should be able to deal with anything you see in TSW 2 with absolutely no problem.... it's just that the way TSW 2 is built is incredibly inefficient, and some TSW DLCs are built inconsistently, apparently with little regard to optimisation.

If the TSW 2 application performs badly on PS4, then it will also perform extremely poorly on a very large percentage of consumer PCs. PC versions of games usually include a range of performance settings - you only ever hear people talking about these settings when someone has a state of the art PC and is proudly stating that they are running a piece of software on "Ultra" - but the primary purpose of the settings is to dial down the settings for the majority of PCs that don't have state of the art hardware (or any decent GPU hardware at all).

Consequently, if Rush Hour isn't optimised well for PS4, then DTG will be alienating the majority of PC players as well (as well as XBox players), and their player base will thin out to just those with the new consoles, or extremely rare higher end PCs.... So, I don't think DTG will do this knowingly.... but I think that they might step things up in 2023/4 with UE5... and maybe again in 2026/7 with implementation of ray tracing - which would give the majority of the PC owning market a chance to catch up with the performance of the latest consoles.

In short, don't worry about the PS4 for Rush Hour. But buy yourself a PS5 for TSW 3 in a couple of years, and you'll save yourself about £1000 (compared to a PC with a comparable GPU).

• Like Like x 4
  17. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I used to build high end gaming PC's and it got so every time Windows had a driver or version update, your spent ages re-fixing things! I got so fed up with it, I gave up gaming on PC's and turned to consoles. Saying that I did try TSW on a high end gaming laptop, only to find I did not have the right video shading (In the very small print on the back of the box) or something and gave up.

What I think is telling is when you see TSW demonstrated at Shows like "Ally Pally" is the size of the PC/Server boxes they are running it all on, for the Excellent show of what it can do. Also the "Heat" coming off them you could cook your breakfast on them.

Sadly of course people see that and do not look behind the curtain to see the Engine Power being thrown at it, that it will not be as smooth when they get home. Will it run on your laptop or PC at home, Yes it will but like a dog, unless you have spent serious money on Graphics cards/ extra fans/ Heaps of memory. Bit like Microsoft Windows will work with 2 gig of Ram, it does, but Snails and Slugs over take it. Throw more memory it starts to get a "Lot" quicker. 32 or 64 gig of ram is best IMHO

For me I Think I will wait till the next version of a PS5 comes out and TSW3, then if I can afford one at that time, upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

Work is underway to optimize the game. I assume that rush hour traffic will work on the PS4 as well. I will definitely buy the PS5 as it will be available and at the normal price. But this year I don't believe he will go shopping in the normal way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. lilsavage#8425

lilsavage#8425 New Member

I love this comparison lol

• Like Like x 3
  20. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

don't worry, mine is one of the first, 1 TB, and the input video passes it in jumps. but I have all the routes and all the crazy ones, and after one or two games it's going great. also, a colleague has the pro, and it goes the same as mine. do not worry.

21. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

oh, and I have 2 hard drives with 123 games downloaded, still my PS4 1TB is doing great.