Big Train Sim World Announcement!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-Steve, Jun 1, 2018.

1. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

[​IMG]

On July 24th, the complete Train Sim World experience will be available as a multi-route package for the first time on Windows PC, Xbox One & PS4!

Read More

• Like Like x 6
  2. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

What will happen to Sand Patch Grade - Will it become a dlc for the PC version or removed from sale completely?

3. Dan_Der_Man

Dan_Der_Man Active Member

Awesome work guys! Congratulations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

...is...that it?

let down isn't enough to describe.

"we spent a few days hyping up this news guys! its here, but if you already own our routes then it didnt actually apply to you....so get XXXX? and thanks for paying more for the same content" - DTG Marketing

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 27
  5. Samuel

Samuel Member

Is it real!!? PS4 Version also will be available?? Great News!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

CSX Heavy Haul joins Great Western Express, Rapid Transit and Northeast Corridor New York in Train Sim World on the PC.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

With the bugs

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

This are the "big announcements" ???? Are you kidding?
    This is the biggest disappointment so far for me. I thought we will see something that change the TSW experience for all off us, like editor with workshop or multiplayer or something else.

A big hype for this news? And then you reveal it way before the announced time, I thought there will come more big news this evening, but I looks like this is it.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT TO ALL CUSTOMERS! WELL DONE DTG!!! This time you really messed it up :mad:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 29
  9. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Wait is today april first? Im confused

• Like Like x 12
  10. metr0p0litain

metr0p0litain Active Member

I'm sorry to say, but for me this is a big reveal of disappointments. It's not the news itself, but the way and how you hyped this up. I'm ok with a news about bringing TSW to PS4. But you guys know that many users are waiting for editors or tools and this is really not the "big reveal" we are all waiting for.

• Like Like x 22
  11. Mr395008

Mr395008 Member

TrainSim-Steve, is this the 'big' announcement due at 18:00? What's the point in going on for days about 18:00 to then shove it on Facebook hours before? :/ Not impressed at all.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Wilbnil

Wilbnil Well-Known Member

Very disappointed...:(

• Like Like x 16
  13. madmeister

madmeister Member

Thanks for nothing, from the pc community

• Like Like x 15
  14. Course carriage

Course carriage Member

I would fire the marketing department, really!

No matter what forum you look at, Steam / this here / German (many international users) - nowhere are there any positive opinions on the "Big Train Sim World Announcement".

A disaster I would call this!

• Like Like x 19
  15. darth3pio

darth3pio New Member

Can I expect any updates or expansion content for the Windows Store release?

16. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

One word - Useless.

Once again, you didn't listen to the community to see what we actually wanted, you gone for the money grabbing option, of course. About 90% of your players absolutely hate you now, quite literally. Quoting from someone "Here come the pitchforks!"

• Like Like x 8
  17. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 10
  18. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

This is absolutely appalling. First of all DTG spends several days hyping up this 'big announcement' to come at 6pm BST. They then announce it early, so they're not even competent enough to make the announcement correctly.

After all the hype, what is the 'big announcement' then? Now I can buy all the DLC I already have for less than I already paid for it. Brilliant, thanks for that!!!

In my opinion it's obvious that DTG is running out of cash, this stinks of a last ditch attempt to claw in few extra quid to keep the project afloat for another couple of months.

'Feel the detail,' perhaps DTG should change that slogan to 'Feel the disappointment'. At least that way the marketing will match reality.

• Like Like x 9
  19. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

The only reason I'm not disappointed is that I was surprised to see PS4 getting this, and I wasn't expecting this. Though I do own a PS4, It's not likely I'll play it on the console, as I'm already accustomed to playing it on PC, though I won't rule that out entirely. But, I didn't have high expectations. So that helped to avert the disappointment that most others here kind of set themselves up for.

Moral of the story: When you keep your expectations low for anything outside of yourselves, you save yourself a lot of disappointment. That goes for just about every aspect of life.

• Like Like x 5
  20. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Actually, it was only a few days, not several.

21. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Several means more than two, but not many. The announcement was made over two days ago, but not many days ago. 'Several' is the correct determiner to use in the sentence; 'few' would also be correct.

• Like Like x 1
  22. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Yes this is awesome! Oh, not the announcement, I mean DTG getting pounded with downvotes by the community. We don't want these stupid bundles and packages. We want new content that actually works.

• Like Like x 9
  23. John Murphy

Yeah, that's just what I want. I wanna get 5 minutes into driving a train on GWE and have the game crash and my Xbox explode.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

I’m extrodinarily disappointed if this is the big reveal. But remember, we still have yet to see what the stream is and it may not just be about this, rather then something more exciting and big. I’m trying my best to stay positive, because it just seems like such a waist to hype a stream for a week (Matt announced it last week on the WSR stream) and just announce it before, why else would they do it except if the real big announcement is yet to come? I hope I’m right with this, and if I’m not, then I’m seriously not putting up with Dovetail Games anymore.

• Like Like x 5
  25. John Murphy

I stopped putting up with them a long time ago, when my routes started becoming unplayable due to bugs and crashes.

• Like Like x 2
  26. John Murphy

Yes and watch the cussing. I'm pretty sure you can get banned for that. Otherwise I'd be burying DTG with loads of profanity on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  27. Course carriage

Course carriage Member

calm down and stay factual and constructive

• Like Like x 4
  28. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

There is something to construct anymore? :D

• Like Like x 1
  29. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

I worry that DTG are loosing the plot.

• Like Like x 1
  30. John Murphy

Forget the pitchforks. I have too much beef with DTG over other problems to warrant pitchforks. Anybody have a nuclear bomb to drop on these guys?

31. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Instead of fixing the bugs and providing an editor and new features for us existing users, DTG decide to transfer their beta game onto yet another console for extra £££

I have fully lost faith in DTG now and it’s clear that they don’t listen or care about the community.

• Like Like x 3
  32. nxth

nxth New Member

is that it

• Like Like x 1
  33. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

The hype machine needs to be put in under-drive or completely taken away from 'Bob' in Marketing asap. Right disappointing 'announcement'. Just surprised TSW hasn't been ported to Wii yet. This type of announcement should have just appeared on the website without the added 'reveal hype'. I'd conjecture a large number of the player base is somewhat disillusioned and should be apologized to at the very least.

• Like Like x 3
  34. gpayne07

gpayne07 New Member

Amazing isn't it, not a word from DTG about the disappointed community. of course PS4 and Xbox one users will be happy, they are overjoyed when a player farts on chat! DTG this announcement is a kick in the teeth to all your loyal customers, I have just added up my spend over the years to DTG and it goes way above 2 grand because of addons and so on. I only got TSW because of the promise of multiplayer so can I get a refund for false advertising???? oh no that's right you don't bother responding and this post will most likely get deleted. REFUND please on TSW and the addons

• Like Like x 4
  35. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Posted elsewhere but relevant here too.

While I really appreciate the little snippets that Matt P gives DTG's customers on his Twitch stream, the main reason for all of the frustrated comments is the continued lack of interaction between DTG and its customer base. In terms of a commercial strategy it's a potentially fatal mistake and it's a worry that DTG hasn't learned that lesson from the failure of flight sim platform in the fairly recent past. Many flight sim friends told me that sales of FSW were poor because of DTG being over protective of their game in a market where open interaction with developers and players is the norm.

The Railworks/Train Simulator platform is alive and well due mostly thanks to a huge online community, third party developers and freeware available. The quality of some of the recent releases, including those from DTG, have been amazing when considering the limitations of the 32 bit software. New content has a customer base ready and waiting and new people are joining all the time despite the bugs. Like many others I see a new route or new loco on Steam and my inclination is to buy it to add to my virtual train set. No sales patter required, if I don't like the livery, someone will patch it, if I want it to sound more realistic, there will be a product out there eventually. So it's a low-risk purchase.

But with TSW there's nothing to entice the TS fan base across at present. No teasers as to what we can look forward to if we buy into the franchise, just a short route with a bit of stock that's not really operationally up to the standard of the more recent TS releases and then in a few months another new short route. Meanwhile the missing small details that turn train simmers off playing TSW GWR remain unresolved leaving most of us wondering why we bought it in the first place. It all feels very sterile and uninspiring because it's just a game at the moment and not a hobby..

I'm sure many would like to know;
    * What is the overall strategy for content? Long routes in small sections? Longer routes in one package? Regional Packs? Random small routes? Full UK network by 2030? DLC based only on current operations (including current preserved lines) or historical ones? Steam Locos?
    * When should we expect Developer Tools and what will they entail?
    * Will there be additional content for existing TSW routes? New scenarios, route extensions, additional rolling stock?
    * Are there plans to complete the rolling stock already released? (eg poor horn sounds, lack of AWS on HST, missing clag on the 47. etc?)
    * Will there be annual versions of TSW allowing existing owners to update the front end of the program?
    * What will the long-term reward be for customers who buy-in the franchise?
    Come on, excite us, stop us from dithering over the "Pay now" button and get the community on board!

• Like Like x 13
  36. Daniel Bloch

Big silence again after the big reveal...

• Like Like x 10
  37. John Murphy

I think DTG is just scared to say anything at this point.

38. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Has anyone from the staff even made a post since the "Big Reveal"?

39. John Murphy

I don't think so. I haven't seen anything.

40. Jeannot41

I think they do not care about the community.

If they continue in this way, they will lose PC players and will not win new console players.

41. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

42. Daniel Bloch

Not much to track in the TSW forums

43. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

I think the biggest request right now is Dev Tools and some SDK, but I've been thinking, how will this work with content for Xbox or PS4? I feel the reality is these tools may never come, as the focus will shift towards consoles and those tools might not be easily compatible with console players. If their main target is going to shift towards the console market as the announcement shows (more customers who can't complain about performance and such, cheaper entry point, etc), I think we will see content, updates, etc that works easily with console gameplay, and not the TS20xx replacement that long time users wished this would become.

The other issue is with any SDK, there is no easy way to get stuff to console players without DTG involvement, and I doubt DTG will help move free content to console users that might reduce their sales of DLC.

It's a shame that DTG hasn't come out after the announcement to at least try to cool down the fanbase, and at least be honest about what is coming (if there was something big for PC players, they would have or will be making an announcement ASAP to try and right the ship). If this helps bring more money into the development of the game though, and as long as PC players don't become the backburner (which is starting to become a potential reality), then I'll ride out the wave. I don't have a lot of confidence in this game though on the PC side, I think we are seeing an abandonment begin....

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

I think DTG are trying not to do Dev Tools as they found that out for TS18. Freeware devs would make free routes (and in a lot of cases, better) before DTG could make paid versions of them, but the community would say no because they already have that route for free, so they wouldn't need to pay for the DTG one, meaning DTG would lose money.

I hope you actually understood what I said there.

45. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Easiest way on this is make the SDK itself PC only or somehow web based and then work out content port via whatever channels are available to the console, PC etc

• Like Like x 1
  46. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

In my experience the workshop caused me to buy MORE DLC. I would often find a scenario that I really wanted to do that someone created but I didn't have the DLC to run it. I often bought DLC for the only reason to be able to do more workshop scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Exactly, all of the scenarios on the Steam Workshop as well as the scenarios from 3rd party developers, Armstrong Powerhouse or Just Trains for example, require a plethora of DLC. That content helps in driving sales. As for free routes; they're also typically using assets from existing routes and require DLC purchases.

I'd be surprised to find a good freeware route with zero dependencies.

• Like Like x 2
  48. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

The new WCML Midland and Northwest route, coming out soon. From Liverpool - Stafford, Preston and Manchester. ;)
    https://www.facebook.com/WCMLMidlandsandNorthwestRoute/

Custom assets and just a couple required DLC (for now). I know this because I'm the one who provides textures for the assets, and to do that I have to go to each of the stations and take close up pictures, such as this one here: (And no, you're not allowed to use it without my permission, please PM me if you wish to use it.)

100_0373.JPG

49. Jeannot41

Your new route is for TSxxx and not TSW

50. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

So, it doesn't have zero dependencies then? ;) Just a couple of required DLC, which is the way it usually is.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018