(mod) Tsw 2 New Dynamic Cloud Visuals

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, May 12, 2021.

1. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

THAT!
    I asked myself yesterday while driving exactly WHAT it is that makes me feel the world appears a lot more authentic now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Do you want some clouds ?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

4.26 has a new default sky system. Take a look on the website.

• Like Like x 2
  4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Interesting. Although we’ll see how many features of 4.26 DTG will actually use, as the upgrade to 4.23 didn’t see many new features being utilised, despite it being displayed on UE4s website of all the new, available features.

• Like Like x 5
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I've already tested. Poetry. Maybe sometimes, although DCS has waited years for it :) Volumetric dynamic beautiful skies \o/
    The terrain looks great under such a sky. I try to imagine all these TSW mountain routes in such a setting.

I really like the compromise by londonmidland. A very big change!

6. londonmidland

Thanks for the comment. I look forward to future routes utilising my skybox mod.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It's incredible how better this mod makes the whole game look. You sir, have the respect of the whole community.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  8. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Can you be kind enough to share your Engine.ini file? I've been trying to change the values of mine for months to find the best graphical setup (stable 30fps is enough for me). But I'm still not entirely convinced about the visual rendering.

Do you also use Reshade?

9. londonmidland

Thanks for the comments. Anything to make the game look and feel more realistic is always a good thing.

Previously I would never choose cloud settings, because of how dreadful they looked.

• Like Like x 2
  10. londonmidland

Hi, I’m not at home for a few days however I’ll get back to you on this when I can.

Also, I do not use Reshade.

• Like Like x 2
  11. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

It is interesting that no one from DtG towers has made a comment even if it is along the lines of "tut tut, you shouldn't be messing inside of our game" but secretly admiring the effort that LM and others put in to do what should have already been done in the first place during development. Or they are too dumbfounded at the obviousness of these fixes?

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I just don't think they really care. They've had... three(?) years to the improve the skybox. Yes, the TSW2 system is slightly better than the old one, but it's clearly not very high on their list of priorities.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

They have mentioned various mods on a few occasions during streams and they are anything but negative towards them. I wouldn't be surprised if they run a few themselves when they are not doing official streams

• Like Like x 2
  14. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

At the very least, Mr. Peddlesden uses Engine.ini tweaks.

Cheers

15. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

I just can't figure out why DTG haven't done these kind of sky tweaks themselves. LMs mod makes a whole world of difference and only took a few hours of work for one person to figure out (I think)?
    Even though it's a train not a flight sim, nice sky visuals help so much with the immersion aspect, after all the sky does take up quite a lot of screen space.

Surely there must be a reason for DTG not to do this, as I'm sure I've heard Sam,Matt etc say a few times in stream that if something is easily done they would do it, no question. Slightly confused on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  16. londonmidland

Hi there. I’m not aiming to be in direct competition with DTG or anything like that. All my mods are simply done out of passion, as well as benefiting the community by providing my work to them.

I’m just happy that I am able to mod the game. Be it officially or unofficially, I don’t really care. The best feeling is seeing other players benefit from these sort of things. :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Would you be open recording via obs for any YouTube tutorials?

18. londonmidland

Thanks for the comments. As to why DTG still haven’t done it themselves, I have no idea.

Initially I thought it was going to be a really hard job, with it either taking up loads of performance or it simply being impossible to alter without ‘proper’ tools. This, however, was clearly not the case. A few freeware programs will quickly get you on the right path.

I’m slightly confused why DTG have said in the past they don’t want to waste performance on pretty looking clouds, when from what I’ve seen, there isn’t any?

• Like Like x 1
  19. londonmidland

Hi. Even I’m not sure how or why it works. It simply just ‘works’. I just experimented with a few cloud perlin noise patterns (I still don’t know how it works) and it turns out the pattern I choose worked fantastically.

So I basically went in blind just experimenting with things and seeing what the output would be. Therefore, I don’t think I’d be able to create a tutorial as I don’t really understand why X causes Y to function Z.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

londonmidland
    We are certainly benefitting form your efforts - thank you :)

Are you open to requests? I'd absolutely love it if the sea in IOW could be replaced. The current version looks like something out of Inception.

• Like Like x 2
  21. londonmidland

Unfortunately with the sea, I believe it is the way DTG initially set up the way textures are displayed, so I cannot fix this unfortunately. The same goes for fields and grass. There are solutions, but only DTG can fix this.

• Like Like x 1
  22. londonmidland

Hello, my ini tweaks are as following:
    r.ViewDistanceScale=4.0
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=5
    r.BloomQuality=5
    r.GenerateMeshDistanceFields=1
    r.TonemapperGamma=3
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=1
    r.ToneMapper.Sharpen=0
    r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
    r.Streaming.HLODStrategy=2
    r.DefaultFeature.AutoExposure=1
    r.DefaultFeature.AutoExposure.Method=1
    r.DefaultFeature.AutoExposure.ExtendDefaultLuminanceRange=1
    r.TextureStreaming=0
    r.LandscapeLODDistributionScale=3
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.00
    r.fov=95
    r.LightMaxDrawDistanceScale=50.0
    r.MotionBlur.Scale=2.0
    r.MinScreenRadiusForLights=0.00
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.EnableUprightCompensation=0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Y=100.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Z=50.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.Y=100.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.Z=1
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.SittingPivotOffset=-200
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.X=50
    ts2.fov=95
    ts2.save.CheckpointsEnabled=0
    r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=0

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  23. chieflongshin

Thanks londonmidland . Let’s see how kind this setup treats my graphics card. I’m on 2080ti so hoping I’ll still pull 60fps

24. londonmidland

I play on a 970 with decent FPS at full graphics so yours should offer more than enough power for decent game play.

25. Allsop4

Allsop4 Member

DTG did work on the skybox for TSW2. However, they view their new cloud system as a "massive" improvement over the TSW1 clouds. IMO, they should look at their skybox the way that we look at it. The clouds in TSW2 are bad, and they are WORSE in TSW1. If DTG would look at it this way, maybe they would prioritize the look of the skybox.

Now that Londonmidland has done some magic to the clouds, we all owe a debt of gratitude to him for his efforts. I'm blown away at this! A new skybox, as well as TrackIR, Directx controller support were my core requests I wanted added to the sim. A member of the community comes through with the goods? As soon as I saw the screenshots I thought this is not going to play well for DTG in the forums. Great job LM!!

• Like Like x 3
  26. londonmidland

Thanks for the feedback :) I've always wanted better looking clouds in TSW, and choosing anything but clear weather always made me put off playing TSW.

I agree with what you said. I was expecting the new skybox in TSW 2 to be a substantial upgrade over the original TSW 1 skybox, however this was not the case. We still had those very flat, large and ugly looking clouds. They were also very basic in visuals. The only thing I can say that was improved was the overall lighting.

I'm not sure why it was so hard for DTG to do a decent job of the clouds, as many games, which are over 10 years old now, feature better looking clouds than TSW 2.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Dinosbacsi

I believe the situation is that they got Unreal Engine, but took the really minimal time to study it and see how it works and find it's potential. I mean they use it as a graphics engine and use the editor, but barely anything else is "unreal worthy" in it.

For the ugly original clouds they probably just googled "dynamic clouds for Unreal Engine" and went with the easiest solution and didn't try polishing it much. I mean it clearly shows when someone from the community can improve the visuals by tenfolds just by replacing the noise pattern for the clouds. A very simple solution which could've been easily found by the developers as well.

Or look at how ugly the water is in the game when used in big areas. Or how the windscreen rain droplets effects are straight from Train Simulator. Or how they can't make the shadows render more than 500m in front of you. Wish they would do more with what the engine is capable of.

• Like Like x 3
  28. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

londonmidland: Thanks so much. In particular, the setting of the FOV and the CameraMotionSway are very interesting.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  29. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

londonmidland Thank you for sharing your engine settings.

I'm particularly interested in the fov settings. Having tried multiple values, I notice no difference. Are you aware of any other settings / dependencies that could be "locking" fov in place?

30. londonmidland

No problem. The motion sway now feels a lot more realistic, as the default values felt for too ridged and stiff for a natural head movement feeling.

31. londonmidland

Unfortunately it seems changing it via the ini document does not affect it. The only way to change it is to download Unreal Engine Unlocker and type in fov 100 in the command box.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  32. londonmidland

Happy to hear that my skybox mod was mentioned on the live stream. Thanks guys :)

They MAY ask for my permission to use it/develop off it. Emphasis on may as nothing is confirmed or going ahead at this stage.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

I'll have a listen out for that tomorrow, congrats on someone paying attention, should be red faces really.

• Like Like x 1
  34. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I was a witness - it was praised!

• Like Like x 1
  35. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

I asked if they could implement it officially,glad they noticed

• Like Like x 2
  36. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The impression I got is they probably won't be going ahead with it as it cannot be implemented on the consoles

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. Dinosbacsi

That was just a speculation for saying "we can't promise it for 100%". Currently there is nothing pointing to the fact that this couldn't be implemented to consoles. I mean it's just a replaced noise pattern file, nothing hardware specific.

Anyway I hope they reach out to OP and get it working on all systems. It really is a big improvement, and maybe they could even improve it even further. After all they have more tools available.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

True....but the other factor is DTG are themselves in the process of developing their own dynamic weather/cloud system (or is on their wishlist to do so) and they may have their own tech in mind and it would be unknown how compatible this would be with theirs.

39. chieflongshin

same here. I asked a few times in thread about why londonmidland could solve quicker than core team. I’m pleased recognition was given. I guess we’re lucky we can run at the very least

40. londonmidland

I think the main reason why they haven’t changed the visuals is because of some of the core issues which still exist with the weather system/skybox.

It’s far from perfect by default - clouds disappear at night, clouds cause things to get brighter and make everything look washed out etc.

I think perhaps they want to fix these things first before changing anything. Although I could be wrong.

41. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The reason is that the core team in TSW is small and they are responsible for all the tech in the game not just one individual thing that may appear to be easily changed. They also have to ensure that it works under all conditions and on all platforms without affecting performance and this involves QA time, which is used up by everything else in the game too. Any modder can come up with an improvement in a short amount of time and release it without any of the extra stuff that a developer has to ensure.

There’s another point that is often missed. It has also taken the entire modding community a very long time to get round to trying to improve this issue. Once londonmidland sat down to do it he got results, but what took him so long to get round to doing it? He’s just one guy working on many things. This is the same issue the devs face and they aren’t only looking at the things londonmidland wants to improve but an almost endless list of things that need improvement, dev time, testing time and all under scheduling from the producers and management who are also creating content alongside any core improvements. That’s why they haven’t got round to doing this yet, which they would likely tackle as part of a scheduled look into more than one small cloud improvement, but a larger set of improvements.

It’s not as easy as saying, this guy improved it, why can’t the devs do it, because it’s an entirely different environment the two are working under. For the moment PC players can take advantage of the improvements made for TSW by the modders but the realities of DTG coming up with similar results for all the multitude of things that need improving is a different issue.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  42. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Exactly. Other people need to understand this.

43. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Could the issues they mentioned last night possibly be related to the basic dynamic weather they have on Clinchfield and Sandpatch?

Has the mod been confirmed to work ok on the scenarios that make use of the change in weather on those two routes?

As I say just thinking that it could be a reason why they said what they said as well as console issues.

44. chieflongshin

Fair comment and taken onboard :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  45. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Is anything similar to this available for Train Simulator alias Railworks?

46. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Someone should convince DTG to include this officially in the game on all platforms, it simply looks amazing and completely transforms the feel of the sim for the better.

• Like Like x 1
  47. londonmidland

There’s the Sky & Weather Enhancement Pack by Armstrong Powerhouse, however it is payware and is for British routes only.

48. londonmidland

I believe in one of the past live streams, Adam mentioned that he may consider utilising it, however I haven’t heard anything since.

• Like Like x 1
  49. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

After Rush Hour ... ;-)

50. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Had this mod since it’s come out, apologies haven’t got round to thanking you for much of a improvement this adds.

Top work as ever, keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 1