Glasgow Cathcart Circle - First Impressions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, May 28, 2021.

1. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

With the lack of lighting it would be close to a horror game, LOL

• Like Like x 6
  2. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I was going to leave this route for a sale anyway due to lack of traction on it but from what I've seen in reviews/pictures etc. the return of no lighting at dark (e.g. NTP route) and even worse no station lighting is an absolute disaster for me, wouldn't even purchase at 90% off. It looked so good when previewed during daylight hours too.

oh well, let's see if it's fixed soon or is left for Adam's team to get around to it, whenever that'll be. I'm still awaiting and hoping NTP will see some light.

• Like Like x 4
  3. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I've been trying to reproduce the lighting problem. I put in a Kayako call for it and I have not been able to reliably get it happening now. There has been no game update to the files, but perhaps it pulls configuration from Dovetail when played. Anyway I can happily report running two services 2O30 and 2I27 both at night with proper lighting all the way around the circle in both directions.

I have recommended this route because its basically fun, yes there is only one train (not counting the rail tour and maintenance if you have the necessary DLCs to get them) but it is a lot of fun and I've certainly put some hours into it.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  4. paul.pavlinovich

From a play perspective I would enjoy VR too, however from a human perspective it makes me vomit so no I wouldn't want VR :). Really high end VR headsets like the Commercial Halo sets that Microsoft made for industrial and military uses are fine, I don't have any issue with those but the consumer grade stuff makes me puke. That said, I would welcome VR in game because it would bring more players and more players can only be good for all of us.

Paul

5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Paul, not sure how much exposure you’ve had but if I can share my experience with you I’d like to please. When I first started using it proper messed me up. I recall getting a couple of mins into assetto corsa feeling like I’d been in a washing machine wanting to be sick. I use an oculus quest 2. When I span in car it was worse as I didn’t know where to look.

Flight sim was awkward too and it’d throw my stomach. I tried half life alyx and that was a little easier other than snapping a £100 dog lead plugged into headset. I found as the headset was updated it got easier.

Refresh rate is a big one. Oculus had a 90hz setting (120hz on some games more recently) which really helps.

I’ve had mine now about 4 months and normally get about 4hrs a week in and I’m absolutely fine now. It wasn’t pleasant to begin. Now oculus have gone fully wireless (pc needs to be connected by Ethernet to a 5ghz router) it’s been a game changer. Removing the dog lead tricks you more you’re there as you’re not tugging the lead all the time. I’ve recently started playing automobolista 2 wirelessly and it’s incredible.

I guess what I’m saying is if you’ve only dabbled try and stick with it, if you’re seasoned and it’s no good fingers crossed the tech improves and makes it accessible again. I still hope we get a VR setting one day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

That stupid signal behind the wall at Pollokshields East caught me out yesterday. I new i was coming up on a red and my head igored that one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. paul.pavlinovich

I've tried HTC VR and Oculus - when I say they make me sick I mean physically, its not just queasy its full on hurl. Oddly Google Glass (either the real one or Cardboard) is fine which it shouldn't be because they're about as low tech as you can get :).

Paul

8. chieflongshin

Fair play, no one wants to clean that muck up after a gaming session :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  9. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I quit my session yesterday, three different night/dark services, still unlit stations and ultradarkness around.
    In Journey I only have the chapter "Nightshift" open ... guess I will try this weekend very early morning and don't raise my shutter in my room. Maybe if I sit in complete darkness it suddenly enlightens (!) me as "this is how it is meant to be played"? Will see :)

10. chieflongshin

It's rare to be able to play a night service in a normally lit room and see anything with this

• Like Like x 1
  11. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

The signal sighting committee would have a field day with that one.. I swear it just jumps out at you at the very last second.

12. paul.pavlinovich

I can safely say when in the dark yes you can see more - I have to turn off my second monitor though as its glare makes it hard to see the nearly dark scene on the primary monitor.

It kind of reminds me of the old days of cheating at Doom and Quake in multiplayer by turning up my brightness to "ludicrous" so I could see them hiding in the shadows ;).

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  13. paul.pavlinovich

True, that. As the technology progresses I'm sure it will improve. Eldest munchkin with a job and no girlfriend and no expenses because he lives at home (who used to get my hand me down hardware, now I get his) is planning on upgrading his VR soon so I'll give it a try when he gets it).

Paul

14. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

No, if you are looking for a train-driving related horror-fix, you should consider Trans Siberian Railway Simulator:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/998400/TransSiberian_Railway_Simulator/

I am really not sure that #ScotRail are going to be too happy that their stations are depicted as being extremely dangerous places to wait for a train, shrouded in darkness, and a perfect place to get stabbed or robbed, so I would hope that DTG would do something about the lighting, ASAP.....

15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Featuring such real-life rail activities as fighting off wolves with a chainsaw....

• Like Like x 3
  17. chieflongshin

Here’s a thought. I was just looking around on the rivet forums to see how many times they say “we’ll tell you later” about Cornwall trains when I saw they did some of the assets for Cathcart....

I “wonder” how many dlc dtg need to sell to buy rivet games, chop it up, restructure internally, clean the chaff and be a bigger studio.......

All speculatively possible

• Like Like x 1
  18. paul.pavlinovich

World of Subways 4 is a bit like that in the final missions. https://store.steampowered.com/app/343070/World_of_Subways_4__New_York_Line_7/

Paul

• Like Like x 1