The Dartmoor Line Reopens.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by shhweeet#4292, Jun 18, 2021.

1. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

It is good news. One unlikely rail line I would love to reopen is two of the former three stour valley lines (Sudbury to Cambridge and chappel and wakes colne to Haverhill)

• Like Like x 1
  3. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

It closed well after Beeching - main issue at the time was it didn't really serve anything and the viaduct west of Okehampton had structural issues and the amount of traffic didn't justify rebuilding the viaduct.

4. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

5. shhweeet#4292

QUOTE="Gilly, post: 329228, member: 11953"]One dreams, but as the council can't even be bothered to spend the money to reopen the local pool, that what it'll sadly be a pipedream.
    View attachment 58965 [/QUOTE]

I fear your probably right about the reopening of the Keswick line.

Sad about Keswick Pool, I was shocked when I learned about that. I’ve spent quite a few enjoyable swims there.

6. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I fear your probably right about the reopening of the Keswick line.

Sad about Keswick Pool, I was shocked when I learned about that. I’ve spent quite a few enjoyable swims there.[/QUOTE]

I worked there when it first opened during the summer as a lifeguard, to say I couldn't believe was an understatement. When you consider it's only as old as the Pacers, they've certainly aged much better!!!
    But I suppose if we dreaming dropping it would provide space just after Keswick station for a nice stabling point!

7. shhweeet#4292

And there would be room to put the old turntable back near to where it used to be for the inevitable steam specials to the Lake District

8. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

The line between Exeter and Okehampton has actually been running for many years albeit as a Sunday only service so it won’t need as much work as if they built it from scratch. Presumably the track needs updating and resignalling work done to make it fit for a daily service. Much of the line runs over the Barnstaple line which already receives a daily service so I presume the 11 miles mentioned in the article is just the top end.

Re-opening the line from Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton has been on the cards for a few years now but with many obstacles in the way, both physical and financial. This would provide an alternative route for when the line through Dawlish is impassable.

I read this week that the section from Bere Ferrers to Tavistock has also been given the green light which will provide an hourly service from Plymouth to Tavistock. They just need to re-connect the two but this may prove more tricky.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  9. shhweeet#4292

• Like Like x 1