Train Sim World 2 - Creating Northeast Corridor Boston - Providence

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jun 11, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I doubt that there are no signals over the trackage CSX uses- it's only been since 2019 they got in-cab signaling backfitted to all their locos, and they have been running that route for years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mevans193

Mevans193 Well-Known Member

The route has traditional signals the entire length of it. From my understanding the cab signals on passenger trains work similar to TVM like on LGV or SEHS, where both the next signal and the line/signal speed are displayed in the cab and the train is automatically brought to a stop if the engineer goes over the speed limit. In freight trains the cab signals are basically a real life version of the HUD, where all it does is display the next signal, however it will not bring the train to a stop if the engineer goes over the speed limit. Freight trains are still required to have cab signals on Amtrak due to the high volume of traffic and longer stopping distance required. I don’t know how in depth DTG’s safety systems for this route will be or if these systems have changed post PTC (this is my understanding, I maybe wrong on parts)

Depends which camp you’re in. Some players would be happy with extra content even if it’s not accurate, other players would hate it because it’s not realistic. As stated above, I don’t know how in depth DTG is going with the safety systems for this route, but because traditional are the entire length of the route freight trains technically don’t need them, it’s just used for additional real life safety. And while it would be nice and I am still hoping for the additional layer, it’s not a deal breaker, at least for me, if freight isn’t included. CSX only runs 2 trains a day on this route (1 north, 1 south) and Providence and Worcester runs 4 trains a day on this route (2 north, 2 south, and half are at night) So if freight doesn’t make it in it’s not like a majority of the services are missing. The absence of the Acela is more major than no freight running on the line. Plus the ACS64 is one of my favorite locomotives so I’ll still be getting this regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Afaik, according to the FRA, all American railroads and their trains (freight and passenger) are required to have PTC. This means that all currently operating locomotives and cab cars must be fitted with in cab signalling, and the mainline must also be PTC enabled. This was a result of the aftermath of the Chatsworth train collision in LA. So yes, freight trains must have PTC as well, and it has to work in the same way as a passenger train (here in America almost all passenger trains operate on tracks owned by freight railroads, NEC excluded).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Isn‘t that just required on routes that feature passenger runs? That‘s what I recall reading, anyway.

5. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

Nope.
    Every class 1 railroad needs PTC

6. nberneck99

from the FRA website

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

Could they potentially only run the freight up to where there are physical signals? Or at least let them be run by the AI, I really just want to see them when I’m watching trains, and it would be neat to pass by them.

8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

The middle paragraph is what I was thinking about. Not every route must necessarily be equipped. Thanks for clearing this up.

9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

hell yeah

It's nice to read, Amtrak, MBTA, and Gary support this project. Excitement is so real \o/

• Like Like x 1
  10. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

11. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be a bit nitpicky, you're correct in about 99.9 percent of cases, but some older equipment are exempt from this. For example all of UP's steam locomotives don't need PTC fitted to them.
    He runs High Iron Simulations, which is known mainly for making high quality freeware and payware scenarios, he also has made the CSX Hanover Sub recently. He's also written many books about American railroads I believe, and also is one of the main writers for articles for DTG. Long stories short he knows a awful lot about American railroading.

• Like Like x 3
  12. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Nice article. It's nice to have a new railroad operator with Mbta and to have Amtrak back. It is also exiting to run the American Citysprinter with 125 mph on this track. Hopefully this time ATC and ACES work good together in the ACS 64.

And it would be very nice to have some freight action especially with the CSX AC 44 and C40.

And perhaps there will be DLC's with the Acela, the HSP 46 and bilevel passenger coaches in the not so far future.

• Like Like x 3
  13. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Wasn't too sure what to expect for this route, but after reading this I'm now almost as excited for this as Brighton Mainline. One, and still one of my favourite TSW routes of all time is Peninsular Corridor.

I just hope this turns out as good as it sounds, as DTG have often described a route but then it turns out to be underwhelming and/or empty. Though fingers crossed for Rush Hour!

• Like Like x 1
  14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The last two routes (HHL, GCC) seem very vivid and realistic. Rush Hour could be a breakthrough in heretic train research \o/

• Like Like x 1
  15. cloudyskies21

Agreed for Cathcart (although traffic could be a little busier), although yet to get Hamburg. Rush Hour is by far the most exciting set of routes ever to be released for me. If they get these perfect, I don't think I would play any other routes for at least a year or more. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I have similar thoughts. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Adam's talent could be used somewhere other than Preservation. These old DLCs will probably not catch up with the changes anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  17. cloudyskies21

Yeah completely agree, seemed like a flawed approach from the start. It's frustrating as well that many of the preservation fixes are aimed at bugs that should of been removed on the original release of a route. ECW for example still suffers in scenario planner with wrong side doors needing opening and backward trains.

DTG really need to make sure that Rush Hour has no major bugs on release in which we would wait to be fixed until 2022.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I know that this is still very much in development, but I hope DTG can adjust the track textures.
    [​IMG]
    TSW2_RushHour_Screenshots_4.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

He is known as High Iron Simulations

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

AIUI, the only freight locos that run on this section of the NEC are 4-axle, GPs and Uxx-Bs.

21. nberneck99

P&W runs C40-8s and B40-8s, but csx only runs GP/SDs in this area as far as I’m aware.

the Uxx-bs are loooong gone

I’d love to see the MBTA genset as a DLC TOO

22. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Oof, I forgot about the steam locomotives lol.

23. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Will Rush Hour be released some time next month or in August?

24. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Usually in August

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

Beautiful scenery of the New England area.

26. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  27. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I am really interested on TSW2 Rush Hour, but hopes be able to run smoothly on the standard PS4, I have.
    I noticed the memory use optimization / Unreal engine upgrade improvements mentioned on the Roadmap, which hopes be very useful for this kind of console.
    Furthermore hopes those features be available for the ones we have the Munich - Augsburg route, can have available the extra timetables including the german trains from other routes.

I am very happy about the return of Amtrak, as I liked very much the original route on TS2020.
    I like the ACS-64 very much, but also the amfleet wagons with its distinctive design and "corrugated" aluminum look.
    That previous route it has lot of speed limit changes, and land slopes, so it was interesting and challenging to drive.
    The new one with lot of traffic and other area of the NEC, will be very interested

As to the "real" NEC, the situation is complicated due to the age of this famous US Route.
    Check this video

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  28. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

29. nberneck99

ACS-64s didn’t exist in 2008, first one was in like 2013-14 I believe.
    I believe the f40ph-3c overhaul program didn’t happen till 2015-17, so it’s definitely set way after 2008.

• Like Like x 1
  30. robm6107

robm6107 New Member

I'm Sooooo looking forward to this. I've not seen anything to complete the NE Corridor since an "freebie" was released for MSTS. Don't know how long that I've been requesting this-complete the Corridor. Concerns may be in the S.Sta area for fps tho...... I hope that either an pack/add on for Acela may come as well......

31. paul.pavlinovich

I would be a little surprised if one didn't appear at some point, we've been told on streams a few times that all the Acela services are in the time table. Why else would they be there?

32. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

The reason they're there is because they were never removed from the original timetable I made in 2019. DTG didn't add the Acela services, so don't read into that too much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. paul.pavlinovich

Thanks - wow its been in the making this long? For the most part it looks great. I've found some bugs which I've reported but decent so far. I'm happy :).

• Like Like x 1
  34. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Not so much "in the making", rather just sitting on my computer for a solid year before DTG decided to approach me.

• Like Like x 3
  35. paul.pavlinovich

Curious how you built it with no public editor?

Still enjoying it so well done.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  36. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

He mentioned during a stream for the Washington - Baltimore route for TS Classic when it released that he has access to the developer editor, so I presume he's one of the few that got granted access to it by DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  37. paul.pavlinovich

Thanks Mich that would have been a bonus. Perhaps this might be a possible entry to more community content albeit in a controlled way.

Paul

38. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

So in 2019 (and DTG confirmed this publicly at the time), the beta team was testing the first trials of the "public editor". That's the only editor I had access to at the time. It's not exactly the same as their in-house editor, but it was enough to import all the real world terrain, lay track, make a timetable, etc.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  39. paul.pavlinovich

• Like Like x 3
  40. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Could we see the Hsp46 locomotive with the bilevel coach’s sometime in the future along with new scenarios?

41. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

You haven’t changed and btw nice necroposting

• Like Like x 1