Unofficial Ts Competition: The People’s Favourite Route

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trainbraint, Jun 18, 2021.

1. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

Here’s a little idea I had, that I think could turn into something big if people are interested, so (although that may be rather unlikely ;)) I thought I would post it here.

As far as I know, one reason why these forums were created was for people to suggest routes and locos they would like to see in the game, and then for DTG to take the most popular (and also feasible) ones and create them. So, I thought, why not try and narrow down what the community would most like to see, and maybe even see it in the game in the future.

The idea is for people to make their suggestions here, and then for the most popular ones to go through to other rounds, and eventually narrow down to one favourite, which may be seen by DTG, and who knows? Maybe could be added to the game. Disclaimers: if this gets to the stage of finding a community favourite, there is no guarantee that DTG will add it to their “let’s make this next or in the very near future” list, or that DTG will take any notice at all. Nonetheless, I feel this would be a fun idea to try. This is 100% unofficial, if you think this is the sort of thing that DTG should be handling rather than the community, I totally understand, don’t feel you have to participate :). In case anyone wondered, I considered posting this in the suggestions thread, but decided not to since it wasn’t a suggestion in and of itself. I have done my best to address every problem with the idea I can think of here :)

So, here are the basic instructions and rules.
    You can make a suggestion as a reply to this thread for a route you would like to see in TS, and you can vote for other people’s suggestions by liking their posts. You are allowed two suggestions max to keep it simple, you do not need to suggest two though. Similarly, you can vote for three, maximum. The routes suggested have to be viable for addition to TS, i.e. it can’t be too long, up to 70 miles seems normal but... we’ve definitely had longer in the past on special occasions so... I don’t know, go crazy if you feel like it. Also, it would probably be best to keep it to one of the “big 3” countries, i.e. UK, USA and Germany/Austria (Edit: and I guess France as well considering Marseille - Avignon, but it might be a bit more difficult, since DTG have said before that making routes in other countries like this would involve the creation of a whole lot of other assets), considering these are the only routes that DTG make most of the time, and they have said that they probably wouldn’t dabble in other countries, and there are always third party devs like Rivet Games and Union Workshop...

Finally, please check first that the route doesn’t already exist in TS! I have on multiple occasions seen people suggest routes that are already partially or even fully in game already, often even available from the steam store. If the route only exists as a lowish quality third party freeware route however, then sure, post it here, it would be nice to see an official one.

If you’ve already posted a thread on the suggestions forums for a route, feel free to post it here as well.

Myself, I won’t participate in the competition, unless there is a tie to settle. After all, I am a member of the community too!

So, if this idea works, and enough people enter their suggestions, then in a couple of weeks I will take the ones with the most votes and make a new thread with a poll, so people can vote for their favourites out of those. Then, who knows? We might have ourselves a winner!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Well, if I have to keep between those three countries boundaries then I'd like to see the NEC completed (and redone in the case of Philadelphia to Rahway). That would obviously require more than one route so a first step would be, why not, an extension from Baltimore to Philadelphia. Then I don't have a specific suggestion but any US freight route would be well received by me.
    About the UK and Germany I don't know them very well so I cannot say, but given that DTG have the license for SNCF and OBB (LGV mediterranée and Semmeringbahn) my suggestion will be to add those too to the allowed suggestions list. Besides, who wouldn't love Paris in the sim?

3. trainbraint

I mean, you don’t have to take the rules too seriously, if you think you would like to see a route in TS, and that it could realistically be added, then sure, suggest it. I think I also forgot to add that separate suggestions ought to be in separate posts, so when it comes to counting up votes I know who’s voted for what :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Ook so here we go:

NEC: Baltimore-Philadelphia (extension for Washington-Baltimore)
    Pros (for DTG):
    • Completes a gap in the NEC.
    • Making it an extension will make people buy the other route too.
    • You can reuse all the rolling stock, and many assets.
    Cons (for DTG):
    • I don't see any

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Côte d'azur: Marseille-Nice

Pros (for DTG):
    • The following stuff can be reused: Marseille St Charles station, TGV trains, signalling system.
    • Stunning scenary, probably the most beautiful train journey, tons of sales.
    Cons (for DTG):
    • 120 miles long, shorter than WCML-S (and less urban, less trackwork to be made) but long anyway.
    • TGV trains can be reused, but regional trains should be added (if you include them as separate DLC then this is not a con, it is a pro)

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There was a comment when the TGV was released that DTG did not have a Licence for non TGV train sets
    Don't know if that is still true but it would explain the lack of other SNCF trains

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Makes sense, and virtually all french trains are SNCF :|

8. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Well the community extension is coming so I'm not sure whether people would line up for a paid version. Though it could be useful if the 3rd party project dies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NEC Railfan

For us Northeast US people, one of the most needed things is the LIRR. The Long Island Railroad, which should've been a good idea around 3-5 years ago (DTG was on a commuter spree), was completely ghosted by DTG. However, it's likely chances of it coming are now even lower because of the meh TSW route.

With a touch up of Harold interlocking, LIC, and Woodside, you already have a decent section to build upon.
    Pros:
    - A long requested route, meaning lots of demand and lots of customer potential.
    - Is the busiest commuter railroad in the United States, meaning TS can probably handle a lot more AI traffic for realistic operations compared to TSW.
    - Due to the TSW route existing, ports for the M7 and M3 can easily be made.
    - The custom station assets (like Jamaica) would be beneficial for those who want to create extensions.
    - Fresh Pond Yard can finally make an appearance, along with (depending on whether a deal can be made with Anacostia Rail Holdings), the NY&A GP38-2s and MP15ACs for more variety. (The MP15AC is also a highly requested locomotive).
    Cons:
    - Already exists in TSW, but the potential for TS is greater.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. tommydee

tommydee Well-Known Member

I can't see the point of recommending a route unless it's visually or operationally very different from what we've got already. Another UK main line in the present? Yawn. Another East Coast US commuter route? Snooze. I've got enough underused DLC to last me a lifetime, so I'm not going to buy anything else unless it's very different from what I've got already. DTG could release the route that goes through my village (Wolverhampton - Shrewsbury) but I probably wouldn't buy it as operationally it wouldn't offer anything more than the Welsh Marches or Riviera routes.

To open my wallet would need something new like Indian or Russian broad gauge, or exotic places like eastern Turkey, or back in time to Stockton and Darlington.

Also, I'm not clear how this discussion improves on the entire section devoted to route suggestions

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. trainbraint

Well, it's really meant for people to suggest what they like and then for people to vote for which suggestions they like best, and gradually narrow down the options until we see which one people like best, and in that way get a somewhat accurate representation of what route the community would like in the game. I have done my best to outline all the details in my original post.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It's been mentioned in another thread but the Tyneside Metro would would make a good route. It's a self contained system compact enough to be modelled in its entirety. It has new lines, stations and structures as well as the underground sections while much of it runs along routes and through stations built by the NER.

13. NEC Railfan

I'd like Tyneside Metro before it was Tynseside Metro.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. JJTimothy

I'd be happy to see either. I imagine that if one were developed much of the work done could then be used to get a head start creating the other.

15. trainbraint

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The problem with a Metro system like the Tyne & Wear is the lack of variation.
    Every train is the same, the passenger services call at all stations and there is no interaction with other services.

I found that with the Frankfurt U-Bahn - it is great to look at and a number of routes.
    But the trams just go back and forth on the same runs. I made a few scenarios where the player service was an empty tram following a passenger service to give a restricted run.

Peter

17. JJTimothy

I agree with you there actually, this isn't something I'd turn to every day though I'd buy it, but there is a demand for such routes. I think the mix of old and new (in the '80s) adds something and one could include the battery loco's and maintenance stock for some variety in service.

18. trainbraint

Well - personally, the Frankfurt U-Bahn route has been an absolute favourite route of mine. Granted, that is partly because the trains are Pro-range worthy and also there are many different routes, but I really like the fact that it is just tram-style stopping services (does anyone else agree or is it just me?). I think a good thing about Tyne and Wear is that it shares the route with Network Rail for the portion of the route down to Sunderland, so there’s extra run potential there. Also, if we’re going for Tyneside electrics days, I think there were definitely services like expresses to places like Monkseaton.

19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I agree with you, it is probably the best DLC for the game in terms of trains and route quality

20. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Your discussing a route that already exists. We can't really vote for it or petition DTG to make it can we?

21. trainbraint

We're just discussing it, using it as a reference to see if people would like a route similar to it. Not in the context of a suggestion itself.

22. Southernrailfan

Southernrailfan Member

My favorite route is definitely Soldier summit. There is lots of great scenery along the route, and was owned by my favorite company "Denver & Rio Grande Western" And the route has a lot of scenarios and lots of stuff to do.
    Here are some pictures from the game:

20210209095920_1.jpg
    20210209101842_1.jpg
    20210209100342_1.jpg
    20201225215945_1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  23. NEC Railfan

Well the idea of this discussion is for a route not yet in game that everyone would want, or at least the style of it.

• Like Like x 2
  24. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Personally, for something not seen before, I'd be one of the first in line to buy an East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad DLC that models the entire Johnson City, TN to Boone, NC route in its heyday with accurate rolling stock. Granted, seeing as to how the ET&WNC never ran narrow gauge diesels and was all about that sweet, sweet three foot gauge steam action, locomotives would take some time, but with one of the ET&WNC's bog standard 4-6-0's still knocking about on a three mile loop in Blowing Rock, NC and at least one whistle from one of it's sister engines still around as well, sound recording oughta be a breeze if one directly works with Tweetsie Railroad, it's current owners.

25. NEC Railfan

Other gauges are unfortunately overlooked way too often, it's about time we started balancing that out.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Southernrailfan

Southernrailfan Member

Oh sorry, I thought this was about released routes. ;)

27. trainbraint

I think I’ll leave this competition going for a week or two, in case it generates any more interest. Based on the amount of entries so far, it seems like there won’t be another round, so I’ll announce the winner at the end of this one. Do like the posts that you like the idea of, so it makes it easier for me when counting up the votes at the end!

28. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

So the votes will be likes?

29. trainbraint

Pretty much. If you like a post, that counts as one vote.

30. JJTimothy

Many an industrial complex had its own railway which would keep a loco' or two busy shifting goods and materials around. The systems might be standard gauge on big sites with a connection to the main line or narrow gauge scooting around smaller works. I'm sure an industrial system could be entertaining whether real or fictional.

In steam days industries where fire was a particular hazard such as gunpowder mills or almost anything that might create a dusty atmosphere would use fireless locomotives. They look like tank engines and were steam powered but they didn't generate their steam- the "boiler" is actually a pressure vessel and every so often the loco' would have to be taken to the works boiler house, connected up and recharged. I don't know if fireless locomotives could be simulated in TS but can't see why not and they'd add operational interest.

31. trainbraint

Well, the thread seems to have died a little. I'll give people until Wednesday to submit any last entries or votes, and then I'll announce which suggestion has won.

32. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

You can't die unless you've lived first. So far the poll has just three clear suggestions and a couple of partially developed ones. Of the clear ones the most popular has two votes! Sadly, I think this is always going to happen. You only need to look at the train wreck of of the route suggestion sub forum to see that asking for suggestions only results in tons of routes that excite nobody but those that suggested them. I think the only viable way is to leave it to DTG.

33. trainbraint

Yeah... I imagined that it probably could be a little chaotic and disorganised, I tried to cover for every possibility in my original post, but nonetheless it's a little difficult to definitely determine. I agree, in future, if competitions like this go ahead, they should be left to DTG. From what I can NEC Railfan's suggestions of the Tyneside Electrics has the most votes, so let's leave it there. (Yes, I know JJTimothy had already suggested the Tyneside metro, but the Tyneside Electrics are a different time period with different trains, and people seem to like the Tyneside Electrics more). Let's leave this thread to quietly fade away into "Let's pretend this never happened"...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  34. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

I think the big problem is that people don't understand the amount of time needed to build a commercial grade route and they ignore (or aren't aware of) the themes that DTG and others have experimented with and which clearly haven't worked commercially. So they keep on suggesting personal whims that interest no one else and will never, ever, be made. British narrow gauge: tried once, never repeated, ditto US narrow gauge. Existing routes changed to a different time period: tried twice (Woodhead and Riviera), not repeated. Historical steam routes: tried once (Riviera in the 50s), not repeated. Historic diesel routes (Weardale), not repeated. The same is broadly true of TSW, except with an even more emphatic downplay of historical routes as steam loco functionality is deprioritised for development.

if these experiments had been a commercial success then more would have been made. No more have followed, which tells people all they need to know about what routes it's a waste of time suggesting.

• Like Like x 1
  35. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Not really, the most recent 'historical' route was Clinchfield which came out just over a year ago. And the most recent British route is Woodhead in 2018, before that Riviera 50s in 2016 and Weardale in 2015, all the way back to Somerset and Dorset and ECML York to Newcastle in the Railworks days.

Clearly if historical routes were a waste of time they wouldn't have made over a dozen of them spanning across a decade? Obviously modern routes would be more popular as they generally appeal to a wider (and possibly younger) audience and are easier to obtain reference for, but we have seen a fairly constant trickle of historical route releases too.

36. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Back to the original post, UK routes that I wouldn't mind seeing that are possibly ideal for TS are:
    West Coastway Line (Class 158, 377, 450).
    South Eastern Main Line (Class 375, 377, 465).
    Airedale Line (Class 158, Class 333).
    Tyne Valley Line (Class 142, Class 66, HST).
    Marshlink Line (Class 171, 375, 377).
    Snow Hill Lines (Class 139, 168, 172).
    West Anglia Main Line (Class 379).

37. jklimentowski

jklimentowski Active Member

For me every route that extends some already existing content allowing for longer realistic journeys is great fun and a must buy. Few examples:

Luxembourg to Trier.
    Chur to Thusis
    Lyon to Dijon (TGV)
    Baltimore to Philladelphia (this would convince me to buy all Amtrak routes)
    Leipzig to Nuenberg (via Erfurt)
    Kiel to Hamburg
    Duesseldorf to Muenster (via Duisburg, Essen, Bochum, Dortmund)
    Hannover to Kassel

And many many more. But this is just me and the way I like to play TS. Not sure if any of these would bring commercial success ;)

38. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Wish: Obviously I'd love to see a further expansion to the East, ÖBB is a great proxy as most of the freight I see is pulled by a red Taurus (had a three way meet two days ago). So this Czech-Slovak-Hungarian world. Probably the former as Hungarian mainlines are essentially flat, copy-paste Köln-Koblenz with different scenery. (That Romanian 3rd party route is great stuff.)
    Given I have an excessive set, I'd rather wish for updated assets, so that they are prettier.

Existing: Based on the number of screenies it's NJCL for me, but I actually like that I have versatility. If I had to pick just one I'd likely pick Canadian Mountain Passes or the updated Portsmouth as they bring a bit of everything, as much as possible. On its own, neither of these three is very good, need additional trains for added fun. In that sense, Ohio Steel 2 is probably the best route (or ECML but looks more dated) given it comes with the EU-US asset packs so you can build anything on it.

Narrow gauge: I think it would be cute, though. I know of a few, mostly American, mostly Denver & Rio Grande. I mostly come across them via Facebook photographers. I didn't play them, yet. Half of the charm is the beautiful detail, the shiny paint, the rust, the steam and the smoke (in limited amounts for me). And usually the setting. TS isn't there yet. Plus the versatility, someone made the joke of running an ES44AC on Clear Creek. Bring the Big Boy!

Also, a lot of the times it's not about the operations but the people walking around, photographing. Gauge aside, Falmouth Branch is sort of a prototype.

2021-03-13 - Nevada Northern Railway 93 in the engine house.jpg
    2021-03-13 - Fireman Leighton Moreland keeps an eye on the D&RGW 346 (Baldwin 2-8-0, C-19).jpg

Time shift: I agree, there are many people explaining how they love steam and stuff, although usually 60+. I don't know how much of a business case they are. The ratio of steam shots in weekly competitions is telling. Not zero, by a margin! Especially in the unofficials. That being said, I love the earlier routes, having played Woodhead and Horseshoe. Also Ohio Steel 2 has a fair bit of an old vibe, given the rural American setting with wooden houses and all.

The other thing about driving steam is why and how people play the sim. I enjoy the casuality, I'm happy to play with the steam controls as long as it's basically trivial. But, the issue of vision still persists. With Shift+2, all sound is in my right ear, which is super annoying. SP Cab Forward for president.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021