Train Sim World 2 - Marvellous Moab

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jun 25, 2021.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Cane Creek: Thompson - Potash is coming soon! Taking control of heavy freight duties across one of the jewels in the Union Pacific crown, you will follow the Colorado River through some of Utah’s most spectacular terrain with Train Sim World 2: Cane Creek: Thompson - Potash developed by Skyhook Games.

Read the article here.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 22
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Oh my

• Like Like x 4
  3. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to this one, it just looks spectacular. But why is the AC4400CW unweathered again? It literally looks different than on the Steam store page

Also, no release date yet so it's not coming very soon.

• Like Like x 3
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I'm going to miss the evening stream tonight and it's a real drama. It looks insane \o/

• Like Like x 4
  5. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Dont forget you can always watch the streams later on, I know its not the same as watching them live but still good to catch up though.

Hentis

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. antony.henley

Looks nice. Looking forward to ripping it up along the line.

Hentis

• Like Like x 3
  7. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

After seeing this, definitely worth a Day 1 buy. No doubt about it.
    Can't wait for the stream later today.

• Like Like x 4
  8. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

This route is just amazing, and it'll be even more amazing if skyhook gets the sounds right!

I really appreciate them for taking the time to get it right and for fixing things, it shows that they do care about their own products and the community by listening to our feedback.

• Like Like x 5
  9. BennyP92

BennyP92 New Member

I am looking forward to this route! But I am slightly worried the sounds will be recycled from SPG.

• Like Like x 3
  10. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

Coming Soon? That's nothing new, we already know that. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  11. CTIceman1

CTIceman1 Member

I noticed and really liked that they even added the Western Cullen Hayes E-bell on the crossings. I don’t remember other US routes in TSW and TSW2 actually having crossing bells mounted on the crossing, so I think this is new. Now I wonder if there are any other surprises about the crossings, such as the crossings being able to activate.

Also on the SD40-2, the horn was moved further back on the locomotive. It used to be on the front before they changed it to look more like the prototype. I am definitely excited and can’t wait for the stream today! Looks great!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Release Next week ;)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Rutger Luiten

Rutger Luiten Active Member

The bogies of the AC4400CW are stil missing something, google for it, but I see that the front door is reworked and doesn’t have a window anymore. Are there also PTC equipment modeled in the cab?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am not going to get to see the live stream either, but I do plan to watch this evening.

• Like Like x 2
  15. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I have to say, this is the first time my jaw has actually dropped watching a TSW trailer announcement. The scenery looks absolutely gorgeous; Skyhook really made it look pretty much photorealistic.

I will definitely be buying this one if it looks as good in tonight’s preview stream!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yessss, can't wait!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

This will be the first route where I won't watch a livestream first, I am absolutely looking forward to getting my very first experience on my first drive. I ant to take in this scenery absolutely unbiased! Fingers crossed that the forums won't fill with comments about issues that appeared on stream...

• Like Like x 2
  18. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Looks great. I'll watch the stream to take a look at it. I'm sure it will be fantastic but I'm not a fan of freight so won't be on my wishlist. But with Clinchfield and this I may just end up changing my mind and giving freight another chance.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I've never been this excited for anything Train Sim World related before! Just the fact that we're getting a Union Pacific route is awesome. The scenery is wonderful, the locomotives are nice, and it overall seems like it'll be one of my favorite routes in the game.

Also, has anybody come up with an official 3 letter abbreviation for those folks who can't bother typing "Cane Creek"? That's a whole 10 characters right there!

I personally think CCK is a good one, the K being there to tell it apart from the Cathcart Circle.

• Like Like x 2
  20. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

It does indeed look good. All we need now is a canyon echoing crazy loud horn!

• Like Like x 2
  21. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Maybe CCB for Cane Creek Branch if thats not in use.

• Like Like x 2
  22. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

The sounds, noooooo!

I hate to crush anybody's excitement, but the sounds are the exact same from SPG.:(

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

The scenery is just gorgeous, even better in some parts than I expected it to be. We are also getting both the weathered and clean livery for the AC4400CW, so that's where the confusion with screenshots came from.
    The freight cars look decent too, even the new hopper. I'm only disappointed by the reused sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It appears that I will have to port my AC4400CW sound mod to the Union Pacific variant as well. I hope that the issue of the wrong notch sounds playing is fixed in this version, but I have no expectations. That is a shame. Apart from that, it looks excellent—certainly an instant purchase from me.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  25. CTIceman1

CTIceman1 Member

I would think that the horn sounds would be at least used from the UP GP38-2 or the Caltrain MP15DC. Other than the sounds, everything looks pretty good. I think the handrails on the rear of the AC4400CW may be incorrect, but I’m not really bothered by that.

Attached Files:

26. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

reused sounds, 21 services..... its a skip from me

• Like Like x 5
  27. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

The scenery looked interesting enough, but there were enough flaws in graphical issues and, of course, the sounds, that make me want to avoid buying this route, at least until some things are fixed. I understand how in the UK sounds aren't that much of a focus with railfanning, but you have to come to the US and hear a train from a mile away rumbling and the horn reverberating to understand the true power of these locomotives. I still have hope for DTG getting good sounds for the NEC since it's a different team, but if they keep refusing community and third party help (Searchlight Simulations offered sound help IIRC), and refuse to travel internationally to record their own sounds, we're not likely to have good quality. In addition to this, I have my doubts that this will run well on my old Xbox One S, considering it was stuttering on the PS4 pro on stream. I have terrible FPS on Clinchfield, another graphically intense route, which makes it a bit tedious to play.

As for other suggestions, I'd love to see layers on this route, with the CSX AC4400CW being an option for use and being randomly assigned on your consist as a trailing loco (a rare chance like in real life). I'd also like to see the GP40-2 from Peninsula corridor used in yards, etc.

So if some changes to sound and general quality are made, I will definitely buy the route. The scenery looks great besides something a bit off with the track, and the 12 scenarios is great.

• Like Like x 5
  28. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Link to the mod?

29. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I just watched the trailer yet, scenery is outstanding good but the train and the tracks look a bit alien, maybe it's the lighting ...

• Like Like x 1
  30. Callum B.

Certainly, here it is. But I must warn you that, because of the audio curves assigned to the AC4400CW, the sounds for N7 will partially play in N3 and it sounds much louder than it otherwise should.

Example:

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  31. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Why we got not the Tehachapi Route from Union Pacific, it’s much better and not boring as Cane Creek as Single Track Route

• Like Like x 1
  32. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

Sorry not for me, five miles across the desert and I'd had enough.
    With the landscape not having much variation the scenery in the distance looked weak
    and when running alongside a road the road surface just disapeared into a sort of fog.
    I'll have another look at the final release, 'till then the jury's out

• Like Like x 2
  33. antony.henley

Because its being developed by Skyhook games and not DTG

Hentis

34. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

A lot of people seem to get caught up on the sound - don't get me wrong, I absolutely get that the TSW2's sounds are far from ideal - from prime mover to horn etc. But I already expected the sounds to be the same. If Skyhook was interested in changing much rolling stock wise (especially getting new references/resources), they would have included a new loco instead of two re-used ones. So I had already resigned myself to accepting the same sounds prior to the stream.
    Despite this, the route still looks like a day 1 purchase to me. There's no way I can resist that lovely western US scenery - brings me right back to my fond memories of MSTS and 3DTS' Tehachapi Pass which I've played a lot.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  35. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

WOW. I think you may have just made the AC4400 usable for me again with this. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close to the real thing, miles better than in game and not as messed up as the sound mod already on trainsimcommunity. Well done!

• Like Like x 2
  36. Callum B.

Yep. Funnily enough, the sound curves were just fine in TSW2020. Whatever they changed in the remixing of the AC4400CW sounds messed it up.

Cheers

37. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I’ll buy when you put this on Xbox Sale and fixed the draw distance and object loading issues on console

• Like Like x 2
  38. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

There is a weathered livery to choose from for the AC, For SD40 unfortunately not and also the hoppers look a bit new to me.

39. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It looks great, looking forward to see some shunting. I think the main feature is a quiet up/down drive and just enjoy the landscape, while keeping an eye upon the grades and speed limits. It is awesome to play this in different light conditions.

I love the old distant mountains and they really did a good job on the mountains. Hopefully the technology they discovered will help Rivet with their next Swiss route to get the mountains better.

40. schorni

As we know, that won't happen for ages :)

About the route itself... completely uninteresting for me. with SPG and Canada you have the same feeling, even with more "variety". And Clinchfield is still there... To be honest, I don't understand why this route was made here at all. Is it really so attractive for many buyers?

• Like Like x 2
  41. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want. I think you are right if you love busy traffic, passengers, shunting and so on. If you love seeing an exciting mountain/desert landscape this route is quite good as far as I can see.

• Like Like x 3
  42. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

It is for some of us. Almost all of the routes in TSW are mainlines. A quiet branchline with local freight operations like this is definitely a new experience that is lacking in TSW and also something many enjoy. It's different from anything we've seen so far (except maybe CRR, which hit that atmosphere pretty well with it's multiple branches), not to mention the completely new environment.
    There is much more difference between the routes you listed than between most German routes, which are just set in different places but still feel very similar.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  43. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

When you've done 90 mins from end to end and 90 mins back again there won't be much left to see

• Like Like x 2
  44. schorni

It's all right. I just mean pure freight traffic on long distances where nothing happens. It's just not clear to me how many people want that.
    It would be nice to have incidents like in the "old days", but somehow the developers don't bother anymore.

45. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Well, I prefer that over having to stop at every tree on some commuter serivices and also don't understand how so many people love only that :D I play pretty much everyting, but that's exactly why we need a variety of different routes.

• Like Like x 7
  46. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Wow, impressive!

47. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

With all due respect, that’s not true. Particularly with older locos, they are louder and sound good whilst powering up.

• Like Like x 6
  48. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Indeed londonmidland. If the complaints about the Br 143 and Br 146 sound are anything to go by, we can also safely assume that sounds are important to those interested in German trains as well. That covers the big three.
    I don‘t think DTG don‘t realize the importance of sound for us all, it‘s more of a case of the time and effort required to make sound spectacular not working out in their costs/benefits analysis.
    The reason why it may perhaps be a bit more obviously lacking for North American content is probably the absence of a good third party partner in the US. DTG have got TSG for German sound (and physics + features) and AP for UK stuff. Maybe DTG should try to reach out to American studios (if they haven‘t already)?

• Like Like x 1
  49. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

DTG have been making North American content ever since they started their business, much of it in collaboration with American third party developers. It may be that some of these studios are not yet up to speed with UE, but the relationships go back a long way, involving route and loco building and the sounds that go with them.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  50. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Searchlight Simulations had tried to reach out to DTG about sounds but Dovetail rejected them.

• Like Like x 2